New A6 - Dash Rattles and Left Foot

Update: The dash rattle remains gone and not rattling thanks to the “Vorsprung” gaffer tape application.

The front centre speaker rattle came back and the car went back to Audi where they told me the Vorsprung gaffer tape came off and they applied a heavier duty tape, presumably the Vorsprung RS Line gaffer tape and the rattle is now gone (for now).

Reactions: Wobblybox
Reading about all these rattles and squeaks on brand new cars and the other issues with the safety systems I am panicking now !
I had put the deposit down last week and now in two minds whether to keep the order open or ask for a refund.

Current c7 A6 is rock solid, doesn't have much in the name of technology or active safety assists but has no gremlins either.

I would think and hope that the rattle issues have been ironed out in the model year 2021 updated car that you will receive.

Electronics, sensors, and software gremlins that’s going to be an ongoing work in progress I reckon and would be resolved with software updates rather than design corrections.

Just out of curiosity, these speaker housing rattles... are these for the Audi Sound System or for the upgraded BnO speakers ?

Reading about all these rattles and squeaks on brand new cars and the other issues with the safety systems I am panicking now !
I had put the deposit down last week and now in two minds whether to keep the order open or ask for a refund.

Current c7 A6 is rock solid, doesn't have much in the name of technology or active safety assists but has no gremlins either.

The dealers have fixed some of my rattle issues but the intermittent ones that remain are classed as “acceptable” I’m learning to live with them as they are on and off but still think a £40k + car should have none
I have a Feb 2020 build and have had once instance in 6 months of the random errors but quickly cleared and none since

a £40k + car should have none
I test drove a Lexus ES, I have to say... it felt like sitting inside a library. The eCVT whine didn't seem bothersome as much as the reviewers report it to be. It felt really solid and well put together.

Just that the Lexus ES turned out to be too expensive for what it is and Audi offered a way better deal than Lexus.

But reading through these issues not sure what to expect.

Just out of curiosity, these speaker housing rattles... are these for the Audi Sound System or for the upgraded BnO speakers ?

Mine has the B&O and the only rattling speaker is the front centre one.

For the record I have now had the car for a year and not had any error messages out of the ordinary.

I've had all the rattles in the cabin fixed. Car is like new now.
I'm satisfied with the service provided by the authorised dealer.

Going through the rest of the posts in the forum, it seems to me that most issues are with the TDI engines.
I've had all the rattles in the cabin fixed. Car is like new now.
I'm satisfied with the service provided by the authorised dealer.
Good to know that it has been sorted out for you. Although I guess dealerships in Singapore have higher standards in general due to the car ownership costs in Singapore.

Going through the rest of the posts in the forum, it seems to me that most issues are with the TDI engines.

Good to know that it has been sorted out for you. Although I guess dealerships in Singapore have higher standards in general due to the car ownership costs in Singapore.

Quite a high proportion of members here have the diesel C8 as opposed to a petrol from what I have seen. Are you referring to the TDI specific issues with lag, etc. or did you mean that the TDI are more prone to the rattling issues etc.?

Yes, I am thinking TDIs are prone to more vibrations than a petrol by design. TFSI being turbo charged operates at even lower compression than non turbo petrol hence less vibrations.

The QC of the final fit probably didn't account for low frequency but higher impulse vibrations coming from a diesel engine. (This of course is purely conjectural coming from an arm chair engineer who is having a serious case of buyer remorse related panic)

Not all the cars will have problems with rattling fitments. You could be one of the lucky ones with a car without any issues. But the A6 is a love car and I hope you enjoy it!

I have a 40TDi and so far (probably put a curse on it now! :cocksure:) it has been rattle free

Last edited:
I have a 40TDi and so far (probably put a curse on it now! :cocksure:) it has been rattle free
Ahh... good to know. Thanks :) Please don’t jinx it for yourself. A rattling car is something I won’t wish on even enemies... it is hell.

For those who have had issues with rattles. Did you check the tyre pressures at the time of delivery OR how soon after the delivery did you check tyre pressures.

A lesson I learnt in the past, new cars are delivered at the maximum PSI supported by the tyre and not the required PSI as per the load of the car, which at most deliveries is the minimum ie I personally don’t know anyone who took a delivery of a brand new car and loaded it up with five adults and their luggage and drove off to Portugal.

I took delivery of a VW Golf in the past which developed a dashboard rattle pretty much in two days after delivery. I noticed the tyres were inflated way beyond the max load PSI.

After that, the next car had 19 inch low profiles and at the time of delivery I specifically checked the tyre pressures and it was at 85 PSI !!! I corrected the tyre pressures to lowest load requirement and I don’t remember that car rattling. The two specific things which made it rattle were the subwoofer and certain road surfaces.

The current C7 A6 I have was delivered with 100 PSI on it’s 18 inch wheels !!! Corrected it immediately (the low load rating is 36 Front, 35 Rear) and has been great so far. I stopped running it in Efficiency mode, switched to All Season tyres and cannot be made more comfortable (besides the left foot twitch which cannot be fixed but I have learned to live with it)

I am guessing the over inflated tyres maybe have caused the initial vibrations which were in the range to knock the body adhesives and fastenings off.

Will have to wait and see. Fingers crossed.

Yes, I am thinking TDIs are prone to more vibrations than a petrol by design. TFSI being turbo charged operates at even lower compression than non turbo petrol hence less vibrations.

The QC of the final fit probably didn't account for low frequency but higher impulse vibrations coming from a diesel engine. (This of course is purely conjectural coming from an arm chair engineer who is having a serious case of buyer remorse related panic)

Very fair point there - I did not consider the vibration differences between a diesel and petrol engine.

Mine is a petrol and the dash rattle came from road vibrations and bumps.

Interior rattles have no correlation on whether you have a TDI or TFSI A6 C8. However as more people have the A6 C8 in TDI variant rather than TFSI then naturally, the law of averages states you will get more people with TDI's complaining. The rattles come from the vibration from the road surface - which are the same whether you have a TDI or TFSI.

I have the 40 TDI Quattro and the interior rattles have largely been fixed by the dealer applying some sort of fabric tape clips. Dealer said its quite a common complaint on the A6 C8. However I'm still get some sqeaking from the silver trim surrounding the cockpit but this only happens when driving on extremely rough roads so not too fussed.

Worth remembering that with any car you buy, it will ALWAYS have some issues of some sort. I would rather the issues with the A6 C8 are non-mechanical.

Reactions: Covfefe
The dealers have fixed some of my rattle issues but the intermittent ones that remain are classed as “acceptable” I’m learning to live with them as they are on and off but still think a £40k + car should have none
I have a Feb 2020 build and have had once instance in 6 months of the random errors but quickly cleared and none since
Did you ever get to the cause of the dash rattle? I have the exact same problem