New A6 - Dash Rattles and Left Foot

The Saints

Reaction score
Picked up new A6 and love the car, a couple of small niggles.

Dashboard Rattles which seem to be well documented here, rattle from passenger side that can be stopped by putting some upward pressure on the main section, think it’s this rattling against the vents. Tonight another rattle or something vibrating from top of dash sounds central. I’ll see how it goes for a week or so and get it to the dealer.

My biggest frustration and not something the dealer can sort is my left foot, I just can’t seem to getting the seating position correct so my left foot sits properly on foot rest, If I move the seat forward to do it my right leg is too close to the pedals. I’ve not got one leg shorter than the other that I’m aware. Is it just me???

In my opinion, the peddle/footrest positions are, very poor ergonomically. It really doesn't suit me, but I am convinced an alternative setup would be more comfortable for almost everyone. How Audi decided on this setup is beyond me. I imagine there are some Audi designers that have a different opinion.

Audi L/R peddle offset for RHD models is a frequent complaint. I don't have an issue with L/R offset, presumably because it's an Automatic. My complaints are (I'm a typical 6ft tall btw):

Both peddles are too close to the driver: The brake peddle significantly so. I know this because, with the seat in a position to suit the peddles, I have to lean forward for the mmi. Plus I need to move the steering wheel towards me slightly.

The position of the rest relative to the peddles: In my opinion the foot rest should be in same position relative to the driver as the accelerator. It is around 50mm different, and at a very different angle.

If the both peddles were 50mm further back, I think it would probably be ok. I can't see that as an option. However, I work in the 3D printing industry, so I'm going to model a revised rest and fit that. Hopefully that will make it acceptable, but give very little legroom for a rear passenger, which is crazy given there is space for the peddles further back.

I can't believe I didn't notice it when I took a test drive, probably distracted by the staggering interior and quiet cabin. It's only now I realise my last car, a Skoda Superb, had a perfect peddle arrangement.

After an hour, I'm in significant discomfort. I've tried many different seating positions, and I actually switch between 2 very different positions to give some sort of relief on a long journey. Cruise control amplifies the problem.

I can't believe more owners don't suffer with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcarragher, daytonamart and The Saints
OP,
Did you get the dashboard rattles fixed by the dealer? My A6 (only done 3k miles) has started doing the same, but I'm also getting creaking on the interior brown/grey panels as well. Highland Audi is closed at present so can't do anything about it right now but was wondering if you got this fixed. I suspect the rattles in my dashboard/trim panels were caused by pothole vibrations...its pothole country up here in the Highlands!
Cheers

OP,
Did you get the dashboard rattles fixed by the dealer? My A6 (only done 3k miles) has started doing the same, but I'm also getting creaking on the interior brown/grey panels as well. Highland Audi is closed at present so can't do anything about it right now but was wondering if you got this fixed. I suspect the rattles in my dashboard/trim panels were caused by pothole vibrations...its pothole country up here in the Highlands!
Cheers

No unfortunately not due to lockdown not been able to get it in and looked at, it has given me an opportunity to trace the rattles though. The passenger side rattle is far left of the dashboard near passenger door, and as mentioned above just upward pressure on the dash stops it.
The other rattle nearer the centre is actually the lower MMI screen, if I put a small amount of pressure on the right side it rattle stops.
Hopefully armed with this info when I can get it in I won’t get the “sorry sir we can’t hear it response”

Reactions: psychopomp1
Thanks. Yeah I can also reduce the rattles in mine if applying pressure on certain parts of the panel/dashboard - release the pressure and the rattle increases.

Thanks. Yeah I can also reduce the rattles in mine if applying pressure on certain parts of the panel/dashboard - release the pressure and the rattle increases.

I had the same problem with the center trim rattle. It got progressively worse after driving on the M25, I wonder why that was?

Audi replaced the whole center trim under a warranty and that rattle hasn't come back. My latest rattle is now coming from the silver bezel around the MMI, placing my finger on it stops it and once the car has warmed up it goes.

Car went in a couple of weeks ago and they replaced the lower MMI trim. I then enjoyed a full 48 hours of rattle free motoring. However the rattle by the lower MMI screen is back and worse than before and I’ve developed a new rattle by the glovebox when the cars cold.
It’s going back in on Friday but I’m loosing patience with it, surely it’s not too much to expect a £40k+ car that does not rattle!

Reactions: psychopomp1 and daytonamart
Cheers for the update. My A6 is going into Highland Audi this Friday and I've also sent them a video of the dashboard/trim rattles in case they try to fob me off. This is the video:

You can really here that on the video, shocking on such a quality piece of kit. Let's hope they get this sorted.

Reactions: psychopomp1
Yeah that's probably an extreme example of the rattle, it doesn't happen on all road surfaces. That video was shot on the A65 between J36 of the M6 and Settle. Never driving on that road again lol

Reactions: daytonamart
Yeah that's probably an extreme example of the rattle, it doesn't happen on all road surfaces. That video was shot on the A65 between J36 of the M6 and Settle. Never driving on that road again lol

My whole dash was replaced after a few journeys on the M25. I'm pretty sure that motorway rattled the whole interior to death!

Here’s a video of the most annoying consistent rattle the others come and go depending on temperature, this was a good day as it was cooler so not as pronounced.

Car went into Highland Audi and they did indeed acknowledge the dashboard rattles like crazy after the technician took it for a test drive on a rough road. They said its a common complaint on the A6 C8 interior and have secured the dashboard/front panels with "fabric clips" so that no more rattling occurs. Touch wood haven't heard any rattling after I got the car back....

Reactions: Chris.T and The Saints
Car went into Highland Audi and they did indeed acknowledge the dashboard rattles like crazy after the technician took it for a test drive on a rough road. They said its a common complaint on the A6 C8 interior and have secured the dashboard/front panels with "fabric clips" so that no more rattling occurs. Touch wood haven't heard any rattling after I got the car back....
And the dash rattling is back, louder than ever....the fix only lasted a week or so.

The car's going back to Highland Audi again next week. If they don't fix it properly this time, I will insist they replace the full front panels/dashboard housing.

I collect mine tomorrow after another attempt to resolve the rattle. They have now replaced the lower MMI screen let’s see if this resolves it.

I collect mine tomorrow after another attempt to resolve the rattle. They have now replaced the lower MMI screen let’s see if this resolves it.
Hi mate
Did that fix the rattling? Mine is going into Highland Audi tomorrow for the second time, I'm expecting them to use a bit of tape again in the dashboard to fob me off.
Cheers

After reading this thread for a while I have started to drive with the music off to see if mine is rattling, and sure enough it is. On bumpy roads the rattle comes from the plastic cockpit cover part of the dash.

Another item for the list for my appointment date...

Hi mate
Did that fix the rattling? Mine is going into Highland Audi tomorrow for the second time, I'm expecting them to use a bit of tape again in the dashboard to fob me off.
Cheers

Hi

So far so good the lower MMI rattle does seem fixed. It developed a different rattle a day or two later but happy to say that only lasted a journey and stopped. I still have the odd squeak or rattle from various places but think I’m going to have to learn to live with them. It is a real shame that a car in this bracket has any rattles. I have had quite a few new Audi’s over the last 5 years, this being the most expensive and I’m my mind the poorest build quality. I do regret getting rid of the S3 :(

Hope you manage to get your issues resolved.

Good morning from Singapore. I'm driving a 2019 A6 45TFSI and I'm suffering from the same rattles and creaks. Sent the car to the workshop a week ago and just got the car back yesterday. The problems found and rectified are as follow:
1)Creaking sound from the undercarriage especially when going over humps. Problem was traced to the under arm bushing and said bushings were replaced.
2)Clips in both B pillars were changed
3)Creaks from dash area were found but not recrified yet. Parts were ordered from Germany and I' waiting for the parts to arrive before sending the car back to the workshop.
Cheers!

The joy of rattle free driving has been short lived, I now think I’m being over sensitive but now there is a buzzing/rattle from behind the dials. The area above the glovebox buzzes in certain roads as does the passenger door card. I have had the car 4 months from new and already want to get shot, totally fed up with taking it to the dealers.
I have had A3, Q2, A4 ,Q3 and S3 in the household over the last 5 years and this is the worst of the bunch!

You have my sympathy, The Saints. I had the C7 for 6 years before the current car and never had problems with rattles and squeaks from the cabin. But this could be due to the more extensive use of plastics in the C8's cabin.

Is it the silver trim that surrounds the instrument binnacle? My wifes A6 is plagued by rattles and creaks and also randomly throws up errors on the dash that go away if you restart the car. It has tarnished what in many ways is a good car. We got ours in Dec 18 and have just placed an order for a new car. Not sure its going to be a car we will miss although I hear later cars are not as bad for the rattles, creaks and squeaks.

Is it the silver trim that surrounds the instrument binnacle? My wifes A6 is plagued by rattles and creaks and also randomly throws up errors on the dash that go away if you restart the car. It has tarnished what in many ways is a good car. We got ours in Dec 18 and have just placed an order for a new car. Not sure its going to be a car we will miss although I hear later cars are not as bad for the rattles, creaks and squeaks.

Hi Simon,

I also have the rattling plastic surrounding the instrument binnacle.

Hi Simon. The rattling seems to come from the speaker panels in the dash and the silver trim surrounding the upper MMI screen. I'm waiting for the parts to arrive from Germany before sending the car to the workshop. It's a minor niggle in an otherwise lovely car!

Interesting - yours is a newer car as well. It's quite irritating isnt it!

It’s infuriating to say the least. Another item for the work list for my Audi service appointment in a few weeks... starter-alternator recall, front centre speaker rattle, binnacle rattle, and annual service! Let’s hope I can negotiate the service as a freebie due to these issues, but I suspect that won’t be happening.

Hi Simon,

I also have the rattling plastic surrounding the instrument binnacle.

One of my rattles is near the instrument binnacle so thought I would check mine and I’ve noticed it’s not even properly attached!! Not sure if this is since Audi replaced the MMI trim but this was the lower screen or been like it since day 1. I tried to push back but met resistance so did not want to force it.

I’m beginning to hate this car :(

Attachments

• FED69295-6C3E-43D4-B667-1FFBA1070CE5.jpeg
    FED69295-6C3E-43D4-B667-1FFBA1070CE5.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 729
  • 480DADE6-C88B-455C-88CC-0D3F0BD4507C.jpeg
    480DADE6-C88B-455C-88CC-0D3F0BD4507C.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 814
One of my rattles is near the instrument binnacle so thought I would check mine and I’ve noticed it’s not even properly attached!! Not sure if this is since Audi replaced the MMI trim but this was the lower screen or been like it since day 1. I tried to push back but met resistance so did not want to force it.

I’m beginning to hate this car :(

Wow, thats not good.
I know what you mean, the car is a good looking saloon and visually and impressive interior but the fit and finish seems sub par to me. Interestingly my B9 S5 felt more solid. I do wonder if its down to the fancy dash design and that so much plastic is being used that causes these problems. We keep getting random warning lights on as well that vanish when you restart the car.

I dont think we are going to miss it when it goes in Sept which is a shame.

Still waiting for the dealer to actually get back to me on what they are doing, I’m getting close to asking to reject the car. I did report both issues around 2 weeks after delivery via email as was during lock down and had them look at it twice since they opened up again. What do you think the chances out of rejecting I’m not expecting it to be a smooth process just had enough of the car now.

Current worse dash rattle

Brake Squeal

I must be one of the lucky ones, mines a December 18 model and not a single rattle or squeak.

Reactions: The Saints
Any solutions with the dashboard rattle? Did the Audi dealer managed to fixed it? This is a design problem I do not think that a local Audi Dealer can fix this. I am getting paranoid as waiting for my delivery next month. Looks like I am trying to build my case from now ....

Any solutions with the dashboard rattle? Did the Audi dealer managed to fixed it? This is a design problem I do not think that a local Audi Dealer can fix this. I am getting paranoid as waiting for my delivery next month. Looks like I am trying to build my case from now ....

The dealer has had a couple of goes, it’s better but still rattles at random times...I’ve put it down the poor design, cheap plastics touching more cheap plastics. My main gripe is the squealing brakes that can’t seem to be rectified. Safe to say I doubt this car is going to be in my possession for too long, which is a shame because when everything is OK it’s a lovely car.

I hope you get a good one as I’m sure there are a few out there without these issues.

I'll be sending my car to the workshop next month. The mechanics discovered the rattling sound from the air vent hoses behind the dash and have ordered the parts from Germany.
I'll update you guys once the parts have been changed. Fingers crossed!

My rattling dashboard was sorted with the application of fabric tape by Audi two weeks ago.

Yeah, but it was genuine Audi gaffer tape...it even had the Audi rings logo on it........Vorsprung durch Technik lol!!!

Out of interest where have they fitted the tape maybe I can give my dealer some pointers.