New A6 C8 Avant 2.0 tdi

DaveW

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Has anyone ordered one of these yet, if so what sort of delivery times have you been given?
I ordered a A4 Avant TFSI back in April and still no build date, getting sick of it.
Thanks,
Dave

Can't help with the TDI, but I know my local dealer is starting to get stock of the TDi models, but I'm waiting on the TFSI, which I'm told will be available around December. From what I understand the TDI A6's meet the new emission standard, so you won't get any delays like your seeing on the A4.

Hi,
I ordered mine right at the end of September. Last week I was told it will start production at the beginning of November with an estimate at the dealer in early December. Note that when I enquired about the petrol engine, I was told it wouldn't be available until next year. And even on the German Audi site the petrol isn't available yet, so I guess it is going to be a while yet.

Reactions: Simonwhite2000
I just cancelled an a4 I ordered in early April that still has no build date and ordered new a A6 s line saloon 40 tdi with tech pack in solid black. 3100 down and 344 a month for 2 years 10k per annum. Delivery early dec. I was told the 3 litre petrol will be next year. I asked As I fancy an avant one to replace my S5 coupe. The wife is getting this A6 to replace her polo gti

Reactions: DaveW
Yep, so is mine. It wasn't due to start until tomorrow so it's a few days early...

Ordered new A6 Avant 3.0 diesel (the 50 engine) s-line tech pack end of August 2018. Delivery any day now (early Nov 2018).
The “55” 3.0 petrol was not available to order and as far as I am aware this has not changed due to emissions.
After owning a 3.0 s-line TDI for 10 years from new, this replacement has much to live upto. Apart from the stupid headlight bulb replacement method and staffing labour cost for bulb replacement, 160,000 miles of low cost faultless motoring including more than a few laps of the “ring” for fun.

Ordered new A6 Avant 3.0 diesel (the 50 engine) s-line tech pack end of August 2018. Delivery any day now (early Nov 2018).
The “55” 3.0 petrol was not available to order and as far as I am aware this has not changed due to emissions.
After owning a 3.0 s-line TDI for 10 years from new, this replacement has much to live upto. Apart from the stupid headlight bulb replacement method and staffing labour cost for bulb replacement, 160,000 miles of low cost faultless motoring including more than a few laps of the “ring” for fun.
Sounds like a great car you have coming. The saloon looks amazing but the avant is even more of a looker.
The tdi 40 we have coming is for the wife to replace her 3 year old polo gti. If I can't extend my S5 lease in July I fancy the 3 litre petrol avant if it's available.
Look forward to seeing pics on here. What stage is the tracker showing for your car

Sounds like a great car you have coming. The saloon looks amazing but the avant is even more of a looker.
Totally agree. I was planning on getting the saloon as it looks slick, and very similar to the A8. Then in the showroom, right next to the saloon was the Avant. My wife and I just looked at each other and then instantly decided the Avant was definitely the one...
Still haven't seen a single new A6 on the road yet!

Totally agree. I was planning on getting the saloon as it looks
Still haven't seen a single new A6 on the road yet!

I had a saloon as a loan car last week from my dealer. Definitely a looker!

Still not sure on the touchscreen environmental controls, have to look away from the road to use them!

I had a saloon as a loan car last week from my dealer. Definitely a looker!

Still not sure on the touchscreen environmental controls, have to look away from the road to use them!
Agree I actually prefer the dash on my S5 in terms of use. I don't know why they did still have the MMI wheel like Merc and bmw.
My wifes car is on its way to Emden now.

When I took the A6 for a test drive, this was one of the major things I wanted to test out, to see how easy those controls were to use while driving as I had previously read about their difficulty of use.
TBH, I didn't find it that much harder though. I realised, when I change the controls in my A4, I naturally take my eyes off the road while I position my hand in the right place, and I then look back at the road while adjusting the controls. This worked pretty much the same in the test drive in the A6. The haptic feedback felt really good actually, the same as a click of a real button (or the click as the dial turns in the A4 for the temperature), so very quickly I felt quite comfortable using it while driving which involved a brief glance down or across, just like I do now.

I phoned the dealer on Monday and they said it had literally just left the factory, so hopefully it'll be on a boat next week.

When I took the A6 for a test drive, this was one of the major things I wanted to test out, to see how easy those controls were to use while driving as I had previously read about their difficulty of use.
TBH, I didn't find it that much harder though. I realised, when I change the controls in my A4, I naturally take my eyes off the road while I position my hand in the right place, and I then look back at the road while adjusting the controls. This worked pretty much the same in the test drive in the A6. The haptic feedback felt really good actually, the same as a click of a real button (or the click as the dial turns in the A4 for the temperature), so very quickly I felt quite comfortable using it while driving which involved a brief glance down or across, just like I do now.

I phoned the dealer on Monday and they said it had literally just left the factory, so hopefully it'll be on a boat next week.

Sounds positive but I hated touchscreen in my Golf r although granted it was nowhere as advanced as the new A6. It's not my car anyway :)
Only thing about the order was it being stock so couldn't add privacy or extended led. Not much I can do about the led pack but getting the windows tinted before it goes off to the detailer.
Sounds like ours will be on the same boat.

Don't forget you can also control the aircon by voice command, you lucky devils :tongueclosed:

C8 3.0TDI “50 engine” Avant s-line with Technology pack and front/rear cameras. It is worth the three month wait!
35741349 7481 4A14 905A 84CFBAEC899A 4C2FEE40 D6F7 4D30 94FA 0D83526AAF2B

I had forgotten about those lines running down the side of the car and the rear wheel arch bulge. Quite aggressive styling, but looking forward to it...

Only a few hundred miles in and a few journeys incl two 100 mile plus. A significant technology leap from the C6 and considerably more powerful. Irrespective of the claims that the 48v motors are for economy, the mid range acceleration- in fact all acceleration is excellent. Roadholding is firm. Economy is encouraging although the oil use is something I’ll keep an eye on.

The C7 3.0TDI Quattro s-line I occasionally drive was ex-lease and totally neutered by the “dieselgate” fix, making it sluggish and unresponsive to drive. I was somewhat concerned that the C8 would inherit this trait. Thankfully, my concerns were totally unfounded. The C7 is a far less capable or fun to drive than the equivalent C6 or C8.

I’ll write a full report in a week or so when I have got to grips with all the tech and more driving scenarios. I’ll also have a decent fuel consumption data. However first impressions are very positive and delighted that I held out replacing my C6 as the C7 is a major disappointment.

Daytona grey as well by the looks of it my favourite audi colour. First impressions?
See below for impressions.

My C6 was Daytona Gray. I did enquire if I could swap to the blue as no live C8’s were available to view when I ordered. Alas I was too late, my order had just been through the paint shop. I’m happy with the grey and nodoubt resale value is optimal with this choice.

Mine is now in the UK and expected at the dealer in 7 days. Strict instructions for it not to be washed as it's going straight to the detailer. If anyone is getting the 40tdi DTUK have one on fleet already testing the tuning box so if that's your thing there will be one in the new year on sale

Any news/pics yet?
Revised delivery date of next Wed as I can't pay the deposit till tomorrow. It's going straight the detailer once delivered to me but I'll get a quick pic taken. It won't look great as dealer been told not to clean it but will make a good before and after once it's back from Miglior Detailing

Picked mine up today :rockwoot:. But got home in the dark and the pouring rain, so no photos. Tomorrow it is with the detailers for 7 hours! So will have to see how dark it is when they finish.

Reactions: DaveW and Simonwhite2000
Picked mine up today :rockwoot:. But got home in the dark and the pouring rain, so no photos. Tomorrow it is with the detailers for 7 hours! So will have to see how dark it is when they finish.

What's your spec then?

What's your spec then?
2.0 TDI Avant S Line, tech pack, comfort pack, extended LED interior lighting pack, HD matrix lights, storage pack. There were more options I wanted to add, but ran out of money...

Really nice drive back along some small roads. Couldn't really play with the settings as I was driving, and definitely didn't want to crash on the way home!

How’s the engine, specifically in terms of punch and refinement?, is the ride firm on standard springs?

2.0 TDI Avant S Line, tech pack, comfort pack, extended LED interior lighting pack, HD matrix lights, storage pack. There were more options I wanted to add, but ran out of money...

Really nice drive back along some small roads. Couldn't really play with the settings as I was driving, and definitely didn't want to crash on the way home!

Sounds great, cant wait for pics.
I'm going to call the dealer for a price tomorrow, if it's good I'll bin the A4 order.

How’s the engine, specifically in terms of punch and refinement?, is the ride firm on standard springs?
Bearing in mind I've only had 70 miles in this car. I was pleasantly surprised as its been 2 months since I had the car for a test drive. The ride didn't feel hard at all, it just felt very similar to my current S Line. Maybe a tad softer, but it definitely feels like it hugs the road. The diesel engine is very quiet, probably the quietest I've been in. You can hear it, but it is not intrusive in any way, and definitely way better than the E class engine which we test drove around the same time. With the radio on at a low volume, you can't hear it. Even under (relatively) hard acceleration, it is not loud. However, it doesn't have the nice sound that my current/last car had (190ps 2.0 TFSI) under acceleration, but that is of course to be expected.

Performance wise, to be fair I didn't really put it under load. However at one point I was travelling between Midhurst and Petworth on the A272, which is a single track road, but it has two small (200 yard) sections of dual lane, to allow for overtaking slow vehicles. I was following a van and a car at about 40mph and at one of these small overtaking sections, when it became apparent that the car wasn't going to overtake, I went instead. With about 75%/80% throttle in sport mode, the car just took off, both were overtaken very easily. I had just passed the sign saying 150 yards till the lane closed, so I knew it was only a short section, but it had no problems at all. Its definitely no S6, but it did surprise me how well it accelerated and dealt with that situation.

Reactions: DaveW, ChetA6 and Simonwhite2000
That’s good info thanks!, can always go with the DTUK box if more power is needed, but by all accounts it seems adequate!

Last edited:
Reactions: daytonamart