New A4 Avant - Wireless CarPlay

sammio2

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've searched the forum (and indeed the entire internet) for an answer to this... I have an A4 Avant 40 TFSI Vorsprung sat in Germany waiting for a ship to the UK. Ordered a week ago (but chose a dealer built car already made) but I'm trying to work out if I will get wireless CarPlay or not. Posts online say the 2021 model has it, seems like all those posts are US based though. All YouTube videos seem to report the refresh doesn't have it, but is there a difference between the refresh cars built before May last year, and afterwards?

Can anyone with an A4 B9.5 built after May last year confirm that they have wireless CarPlay or not please?

Many Thanks in advance!!!

Hey All,

I've searched the forum (and indeed the entire internet) for an answer to this... I have an A4 Avant 40 TFSI Vorsprung sat in Germany waiting for a ship to the UK. Ordered a week ago (but chose a dealer built car already made) but I'm trying to work out if I will get wireless CarPlay or not. Posts online say the 2021 model has it, seems like all those posts are US based though. All YouTube videos seem to report the refresh doesn't have it, but is there a difference between the refresh cars built before May last year, and afterwards?

Can anyone with an A4 B9.5 built after May last year confirm that they have wireless CarPlay or not please?

Many Thanks in advance!!!
My MY2021 built in October has it.

• Love
Reactions: sammio2
Those built from the third week of last July onwards are 2021MY cars will have it, although not AndroidAuto - at least my A4 Avant hasn't.

Reactions: sammio2
Audi seem to have really dropped the ball with specs recently. No longer can you just download PDF brochures with all the details in them. Instead you have to trawl through the website trying to find information that either simply isn't there, such as Wireless CarPlay, or is conflicting.

Another example on the A4 is folding/dimming door mirrors. The "Full Specification" popup on the website shows this as something only available on the Vorsprung model yet, if you run through the configurator and pick S-Line, it's shown as standard fit.

Hopeless.

Audi seem to have really dropped the ball with specs recently. No longer can you just download PDF brochures with all the details in them. Instead you have to trawl through the website trying to find information that either simply isn't there, such as Wireless CarPlay, or is conflicting.

Another example on the A4 is folding/dimming door mirrors. The "Full Specification" popup on the website shows this as something only available on the Vorsprung model yet, if you run through the configurator and pick S-Line, it's shown as standard fit.

Hopeless.

Yes, I totally agree... it’s also maddening trying to find pictures of specific car features. For example the panoramic sunroof on the A4 Avant... nowhere really shows what it’s like open / closed etc. Also, various places on their site for the A4 shows the virtual cockpit from the A5 with the fuel dials on the side, not how it is on the A4!

This last bit is not true. The 2020MY A5 S-Line and A4 Avant S-Line have the exact same digital cockpit, the dials and shared features appear in exactly the same place on the dash on my two. Even the central console is the same with the same shared features across both my cars

This last bit is not true. The 2020MY A5 S-Line and A4 Avant S-Line have the exact same digital cockpit, the dials and shared features appear in exactly the same place on the dash on my two. Even the central console is the same with the same shared features across both my cars

Oh, so the A4 Avant *does* have the fuel and temp gauges to the side of the virtual cockpit, as shown on the website here?

Some places on the A4 site show it with the gauges to the sides, some places don't?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 10.26.47 am.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 10.26.47 am.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
That image is of the old virtual cockpit which comes with A4 and A5 models with the smaller (standard) or larger (upgraded) MMI screen on the dash - pre 2020MY cars. The giveaway is the seperate fuel and temperature guarges which are not part of the main virtual cocpit but in their own areas, with nothing to do with the main dash screen. You can see they are surrounded by plastic.

The new virtial cockpit (VC) has the date / time along the bottom (where the miles are shown - you scroll through that section depending on what icon is selected on the top of the new VC. Fuel is now on the left and within the part where it says 'D4'. The gear selection is there, fuel is in the same box but when you switch to the larger dials, then there is space for it. The temperature is now located under one of the tabs (mentioned earlier) with the fuel consumption bar showing MPG. With the large dials you cannot see it on that tab - on the small dials and that tab selected it sits next to the consumption graphics.

That image is of the old virtual cockpit which comes with A4 and A5 models with the smaller (standard) or larger (upgraded) MMI screen on the dash - pre 2020MY cars. The giveaway is the seperate fuel and temperature guarges which are not part of the main virtual cocpit but in their own areas, with nothing to do with the main dash screen. You can see they are surrounded by plastic.

The new virtial cockpit (VC) has the date / time along the bottom (where the miles are shown - you scroll through that section depending on what icon is selected on the top of the new VC. Fuel is now on the left and within the part where it says 'D4'. The gear selection is there, fuel is in the same box but when you switch to the larger dials, then there is space for it. The temperature is now located under one of the tabs (mentioned earlier) with the fuel consumption bar showing MPG. With the large dials you cannot see it on that tab - on the small dials and that tab selected it sits next to the consumption graphics.

Ok, perfect! Thanks so much for the clarification. I know I shouldn’t moan because I’m lucky to be in this position, but buying a car in covid times without being able to view isn’t a great experience!

Big deals can be had - i got my 2020MY A5 S-Line Sportback for evern cheaper per month on PCH than ridiculously cheap the 2018MY A5 S-Line Sportback on PCH I was replacing. A4 Avant S-Line was at a stupidly cheap price, circa £200 cheaper per month than now at brokers and more than that than dealers offer. The key is to look and look and pounce as in the case of the A5 there were only 20 on offer from Audi and funded by VW Finance

Big deals can be had - i got my 2020MY A5 S-Line Sportback for evern cheaper per month on PCH than ridiculously cheap the 2018MY A5 S-Line Sportback on PCH I was replacing. A4 Avant S-Line was at a stupidly cheap price, circa £200 cheaper per month than now at brokers and more than that than dealers offer. The key is to look and look and pounce as in the case of the A5 there were only 20 on offer from Audi and funded by VW Finance

Agree, I got about 22% off list price on the A4 Avant Vorsprung. Never thought I'd beat the last discount I got, but I have.

The changes to the virtual cockpit are another facet of this switch from individual options to models with a few 'packs' and the restriction of many options to the top 'Vorsprung' model.

The A3/S3 is a case in point. The Tech Pack, which was an option on most models, offered a full 12" VC screen which occupied the whole binnacle area. With the latest model, they tout how the VC is now standard yet only the Vorsprung gets the full 12" version, along with a load of other stuff you might not want. All other models get a smaller 10" screen with a plastic bezel/surround which looks horrid compared to the outgoing 8V model.

Agree, I got about 22% off list price on the A4 Avant Vorsprung. Never thought I'd beat the last discount I got, but I have.

The Vorsprung is very nice but I couldn't justify the cost. Am looking at an A4 Avant S-Line Comfort/Sound on a straight PCH lease this time as the dealer couldn't get anywhere near the same price on a PCP. Where did you find the deal on the Vorsprung?

The Vorsprung is very nice but I couldn't justify the cost. Am looking at an A4 Avant S-Line Comfort/Sound on a straight PCH lease this time as the dealer couldn't get anywhere near the same price on a PCP. Where did you find the deal on the Vorsprung?
I found the deal on Carwow, but then had two dealers competing. Plus the best VW Finance offer as month before year end. Assuming they haven’t sold many cars this year! Probably won’t get this kind of deal ever again so I went with vorsprung!!