New A4 Avant owner - Help needed

madhoose

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just bough an 02 A4 2.5Tdi Quattro the other day.

The electrics have a few wee issues. The main one being the central locking.

Went to Tesco tonight and the car wouldn't lock with the fob. Tried to lock it with the key and the lock just turns 90 degrees left and right but does not open or close doors.

Got home and put a new battery in the fob, and central locking works again. Put old battery back in and it's still working!!

So basically 2 questions -

Why does the door lock do nothing, and why did taking the battery out and putting it back in fix it?

Will post pictures up on the welcome thread as soon as its clean.

Welcome to the forum..

There's a host of issues it could be, maybe it was just a dirty contact in the key and changing the batteries resolved it? The door lock not working might be as a result of broken wires in the door hinge, or it might be something more sinister to do with the central locking module located under the front passenger seat.

Firstly I'd wiggle the wires in the hinge conduit and see if that helps, then I'd check the footwells are dry and the battery compartment isn't full of water. If you read the sticky thread on DIY Guides there is a lot of helpful advice consolidated into one place.

Thanks James,

Should I not be able to lock/unlock manually? What happens if the battery is flat?