New A4 avant b7 170 owner - tuning

AvantMike

Reaction score
Hi guys, can anyone help? I recently picked up a b7 s-line 170 bhp with fairly low mileage and didn’t realise what I’d managed to get hold of or how lucky I’d been. I’m looking to make some upgrades in the engine but need some support in tuning mainly due to lack of time and experience - does anyone have any suggestions for a tuning shop in the Gloucester area? And secondly I’m on edge with every small sound from the front end as it’s 11 years old - what are the common/obvious potential issues I should be looking out for?

Depends what you mean by tuning really, with a map you'll get just over 200bhp depending where you go, the turbo is the limiting factor really but I mean it all depends how far you want to go with this, as a base (and I'm sure this is not what you want to hear) I'd actually say 2.0tdi 170's don't really have much potential without spending big money.

What do you mean by noise? They're all a bit chugga chugga if you know what I mean, might be worth sticking a video up.

In terms of where to go for mapping I'd definately say the trip to Unicorn Motor Developments is worth it, mines been mapped about 4 times by different places, just never go Darkside for mapping (go for other stuff though they do a top notch job on labour and fabrication).

Thanks DJ much appreciated, chugga chugga is definitely the description. Re noise, I get a kind of post throttle whisper (best description I can come up with) which I think is related to the turbo unspooling or similar.
So what’s the next step re: turbo? Once again any input appreciated

Wouldn't like to say for sure but sounds like it could be a boost leak or exhaust leak, does it just sound like it's sucking? If so that's normal but might be worth swapping the air filter.

If your going for serious tuning allot of people go GTB2260 but you'll need a manifold or adapter then to compliment this you'll want injectors, turbo back exhaust, stronger head bolts, EGR delete, front mount intercooler, SRE clutch or similar and then you'll be skint like me :playful:

Reactions: AvantMike
Excellent so now my kids AND my car will drain all my money.
I’ll do some ringing round and see if I can get someone to price a few things up.