New A35...

teslaboy

Mythos black RS3 8v FL
Reaction score
Reactions: zippster
Still a Merc though, any I've been in very nasty inside!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RGBARGEE and NevMan
Quite like it actually. Interior looks ok from the pics I've seen but I'd have to see one.

A45 AMG will probably be 420hp to pip the RS3 and will no doubt handle very well. The problem is the engine...I just don't think I could go back to 4cyl engines after the glorious 5 pot.

Reactions: NevMan, Callump01 and jimojameso
It looks absolutely foul!

Makes me cringe every time I’ve seen the new A Class on the road, those headlights are vile.

Reactions: RGBARGEE, NevMan and FBF01
I think it looks pretty good, but like @D0C said... could not go back to a 4 cylinder now.

Reactions: NevMan and jimojameso
It just does not have the solidity of the RS3. Mercedes will always be a new kid on the block without the respect an Audi RS has.

Reactions: NevMan
Like the C43 and the standard C200, there isn’t that much to set them apart looks wise, and the same could be said with the A35 and the impending A45. The 45 should have the rear spoiler and the flared arches etc to differentiate one from the next. All that being said, the A class is horrible, down right horrible. Such an odd looking car and common as muck...no thanks.

And form what I’ve read, it’s comfortably over 400. Like Doc said, 420 plus

Reactions: AudiNutta
Looks great and the interior is now best in class.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Actaully like the looks of that... nice colour too... wouldn’t have me swapping the RS3 anytime soon for one though

Lol are you for real?!?! Ghastly comes to mind, downright horrible.
I don't get it. It looks as good as most other hot hatches and the interior seems to be a step up?! Bear in mind this isn't the full house A45 either.

I don't get it. It looks as good as most other hot hatches and the interior seems to be a step up?! Bear in mind this isn't the full house A45 either.

Its the headlights and Hyundai taillights that kill it for me.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and A_Davison

Just don’t like the interior at all! The naff screens, odd steering wheel, the stupid air vents...nope. Never ever sat in a Mercedes and went wow. Having sat in the new Q8...now that’s an interior!

Reactions: infernox, AudiNutta and NevMan
Without the 'aero package' it could look quite good.
I would defo like to test drive the new A45. Shouldn't be too hard if i turn up in an RS, I'm sure Merc would love to try and temp a few RS drivers.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and FBF01
Lol are you for real?!?! Ghastly comes to mind, downright horrible.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend. After all, you like primer and black-boy racer rotors :wink:

Reactions: D0C
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend. After all, you like primer and black-boy racer rotors :wink:

Passive aggressive...love it. Black boy racer rotors lol...sounds like you don’t have taste or enough cash in the bank to be able to afford them ;)

Wait...you’ve an RS5...forget that lol

Reactions: D0C and AudiNutta
The new A class interior is certainly an improvement over the last gen A class but its a few thousand pounds more expensive than its competition and I don't think it warrants it. I prefer the current A3 interior over it too but I'm not liking what the next gen A3 interior will most likely be. At least the Merc kept their MMI wheel when Audi are scrapping it for touchscreen only.

This A35 is already behind in my eyes, the S3 FL and Golf R FL have been at 306HP for 2 years now, have got 15% plus discounts plus a huge used car catalogue, but Merc are pricing it £2k more than the Golf R. It's only 5 door, only automatic, so no choice as what you had with the Golf R and S3. The FL Golf R and S3 already beat the A45 PFL in drag races so I can't imagine this A35 doing good unless their 4matic system has been greatly improved. They did the same thing with the A250, its already underpowered next to the current Golf GTI but costs more.

As for the new A45, I think it'll be 10hp more than the FL RS3 but still be slower than it and obviously have a worse exhaust sound. Maybe handle better though.

Reactions: FBF01 and teslaboy
Should have gone to specsavers.

Wouldn’t have it in that colour but I’ve seen the new A class out on the road and it looks good. Like any re-design it can take a while to get used to it. The interior is better than the A3 (too spartan) and the 1/2 series (too old fashioned). Whereas the previous A Class interior was total gash.

This’ll sell by the bucketload, regardless of what serial Audi-buyers think of it.

Wouldn’t have it in that colour but I’ve seen the new A class out on the road and it looks good. Like any re-design it can take a while to get used to it. The interior is better than the A3 (too spartan) and the 1/2 series (too old fashioned). Whereas the previous A Class interior was total gash.

This’ll sell by the bucketload, regardless of what serial Audi-buyers think of it.
Well you know what they say about polishing a t**d!

Reactions: NevMan and AudiNutta
No one has mentioned the 50/50 torque split capability of the 4 matic drive system or the forthcoming A45S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Jassyo06
I actually quite like it. Little unsure on the spoiler but tbh there are far uglier cars on the road than this.

There I said it :tearsofjoy:

I agree but luckily the spoiler is optional as part of the aero pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Jassyo06
Dont like that interior at all !

Neither do I! I’m really not a fan of Mercedes interiors, tad bias, but I don’t think anything beats or comes close to that of an Audi interior. The new models like the A7 and Q8 are just stunning inside. Do like the idea of owning a Merc but nothing appeals to me other than a C63.

I think the new A class is uglier than the pre facelift...they are HUGE

Neither do I! I’m really not a fan of Mercedes interiors, tad bias, but I don’t think anything beats or comes close to that of an Audi interior. The new models like the A7 and Q8 are just stunning inside. Do like the idea of owning a Merc but nothing appeals to me other than a C63.

I think the new A class is uglier than the pre facelift...they are HUGE
The brief spell of Chrysler ownership damaged MB quality and appeal and they are now just tacky and bling IMHO. Think I may go so far to say I would prefer a BMW ... but that's not going to happen either.

Reactions: FBF01 and teslaboy
The brief spell of Chrysler ownership damaged MB quality and appeal and they are now just tacky and bling IMHO. Think I may go so far to say I would prefer a BMW ... but that's not going to happen either.

Agreed.
Mercedes-Benz of old i thought were good motors especially the C63 AMG and majority of E classes.

But in recent years they've gone all curvy, and now have those bling bling disco front grilles, they look like a disco ball with wheels !

Reactions: RGBARGEE
I'm obviously in the minority on this forum, but I think the latest gen of C63 and E63 AMG's are awesome bits of kit. Their engines especially are as characterful as any out there. I could see myself in a C63s if it went to 4WD like the E63.

I actually had a run in against a C63 the other day in my TT. At a set of lights we had a chat and he couldn't believe how I tore away from him until I pointed out that I was running up towards 500hp. Still, his car sounded awesome!

Reactions: Slowracer, DW81 and TYb
I'm obviously in the minority on this forum, but I think the latest gen of C63 and E63 AMG's are awesome bits of kit. Their engines especially are as characterful as any out there. I could see myself in a C63s if it went to 4WD like the E63.

I actually had a run in against a C63 the other day in my TT. At a set of lights we had a chat and he couldn't believe how I tore away from him until I pointed out that I was running up towards 500hp. Still, his car sounded awesome!
Agree a V8 sounds great but I’m still never buying a bling M-B nor a V8 SD1 Rover.. there is far more to a car than noise!!!

I actually really am liking this car. Would not spec the livery or aero pack though. Interior looks spot on except for that stretched iPad screen thingy majig.

Reactions: TYb
I'm not sure why he says that the A35 will be the entry level AMG with the most true/flagship AMG DNA in it. You can see throughout the video he's trying to put that point across with the grill being the same as other AMG cars, the side skirts are like the C63, having a twin scroll turbo like the E63, exhausts look at the AMG GTS etc. At the end of the day, it won't be on the same level as any of those cars and I have no clue why he implies this could be a replacement to the A45. Having the same gearbox and 4Matic system as the A45 isn't a good thing as they're 2 things A45 owners complain about. I'm also pretty sure the PFL A45 wasn't one of the most exciting AMG cars you could ever own. I found it funny that one of the alloy choices is pretty much the S3 ones.

The things I like I mentioned before, they kept their MMI wheel like interface in addition to the touchscreen, electric seats are standard, proper bucket seats (although Shmee said they're firm and not comfortable if its the same as the C63), the new steering wheel drive mode selector, some of the new graphics on the virtual cockpit like screen (I'm sure there could be some nice themes), AR navigation sounds nice,

One interesting thing though, was about the new A45 potentially having 4Matic+ system. The only hatchback with something like that is the Focus RS so it's good that it's moving to other cars too. I don't think it'll have well over 400 bhp though. It could be that the normal A45 has 400bhp with normal 4Matic but the A45S has 420 bhp and 4Matic +

Overall I don't think you can trust someone called Mr.AMG to review an AMG car without bias but it can be useful to see one side of the story.

Reactions: TYb and teslaboy
I'm not sure why he says that the A35 will be the entry level AMG with the most true/flagship AMG DNA in it. You can see throughout the video he's trying to put that point across with the grill being the same as other AMG cars, the side skirts are like the C63, having a twin scroll turbo like the E63, exhausts look at the AMG GTS etc. At the end of the day, it won't be on the same level as any of those cars and I have no clue why he implies this could be a replacement to the A45. Having the same gearbox and 4Matic system as the A45 isn't a good thing as they're 2 things A45 owners complain about. I'm also pretty sure the PFL A45 wasn't one of the most exciting AMG cars you could ever own. I found it funny that one of the alloy choices is pretty much the S3 ones.

The things I like I mentioned before, they kept their MMI wheel like interface in addition to the touchscreen, electric seats are standard, proper bucket seats (although Shmee said they're firm and not comfortable if its the same as the C63), the new steering wheel drive mode selector, some of the new graphics on the virtual cockpit like screen (I'm sure there could be some nice themes), AR navigation sounds nice,

One interesting thing though, was about the new A45 potentially having 4Matic+ system. The only hatchback with something like that is the Focus RS so it's good that it's moving to other cars too. I don't think it'll have well over 400 bhp though. It could be that the normal A45 has 400bhp with normal 4Matic but the A45S has 420 bhp and 4Matic +

Overall I don't think you can trust someone called Mr.AMG to review an AMG car without bias but it can be useful to see one side of the story.

A great right up.

He's a right biased numpty.

I do agree to his point that the car has similar body styling as the current a45, at first glance it can be easily confused for an a45 and it has the same drive train.

The a35 will have different styling cues to other new AMGs and will be well down on power. So it will be the poor cousin of the range, hence why he was trying to talk it up.

Having previously owned a FL A45 I didn’t find any issues with the gearbox ( however many had the crunching problem) it was smooth and has far less quirks than than the RS3 box.

If I was to compare the a45 to rs3 (styling aside as it’s personal preference) the a45 was more engaging and playful to drive, you could say it has more character. The seats are better, suspension is better and the tech is more effective. Brakes felt stronger and didn’t squeal.
The rs3 has the brilliant engine, the AWD system is better, interior is more grown up, albeit understated, and it’s more refined in terms of NVH so makes for a better daily driver.

I feel the new A45 should address most of its deficiencies but I still can’t see the 2L 4cyl donk matching the charisma or overall performance of the 5 pot engine. The 2L, I feel, will be be strained and peaky in its power delivery unless they can do some magic with the electric booster motor.

The gearbox issues I think were mainly for the PFL A45 and were mostly fixed with the FL A45. The main reason I say the gearbox and 4Matic system is that the FL A45 still lost to the PFL RS3 in a drag race (and rolling starts too) even though it had more power and people were blaming those 2 things on why it loses. The FL RS3 then made the lead even bigger. The A45 always was the better handling car compared to the RS3 but the A35 is competing with Golf R, Civic Type R, Focus RS, BMW M140i etc, and there are some great handling cars there. I'm unsure what you mean by the tech being more effective in the A45, I had a 2017 C class for a week and found the tech to be 1 or 2 generations behind the S3 in terms of design and capability.

I do agree to his point that the car has similar body styling as the current a45, at first glance it can be easily confused for an a45 and it has the same drive train.

The a35 will have different styling cues to other new AMGs and will be well down on power. So it will be the poor cousin of the range, hence why he was trying to talk it up.

Having previously owned a FL A45 I didn’t find any issues with the gearbox ( however many had the crunching problem) it was smooth and has far less quirks than than the RS3 box.

If I was to compare the a45 to rs3 (styling aside as it’s personal preference) the a45 was more engaging and playful to drive, you could say it has more character. The seats are better, suspension is better and the tech is more effective. Brakes felt stronger and didn’t squeal.
The rs3 has the brilliant engine, the AWD system is better, interior is more grown up, albeit understated, and it’s more refined in terms of NVH so makes for a better daily driver.

I feel the new A45 should address most of its deficiencies but I still can’t see the 2L 4cyl donk matching the charisma or overall performance of the 5 pot engine. The 2L, I feel, will be be strained and peaky in its power delivery unless they can do some magic with the electric booster motor.

Unlike the RS3, I think the A35 will damage A45 sales. There is nothing special about the A45 except extra power, but its still a 4 cylinder engine at the end of the day