New A3 S-Line Turbo Charger Linkage Fault at startup

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to say that Audi Customer Services know precisely ZERO about any technical issues, and from my experience recently they just go and ask the dealership staff, as its actually them that have access to all the technical bulletins and service manuals etc. It is a very daft setup as you would expect them to be a littlre more clued up on some of the issues.

They seem reluctant to acknowledge there is a widespread problem with the turbo linkage, and are instead chosing to deal with each customer as and when the problem crops up (I guess to avoid widespread bad publicity?). It is hard to tell precisely how many cars are affected by it, as obviously a forum will give you a skewed sample.

Your best point of contact is now with your dealer, once they've witnessed the rattle they will be able to dig out the technical bulletin and get it sorted.

Good luck!

I will go and drop off my car on Monday with all this info and if this is my issue which I believe its is reading all these posts, I have saved them loads of investigation...
Thanks fellow Audi A3 owners !!

I believe they are only going to apply the fix when it happens. I read this thread after I collected my new A3 (June 13) and then e-mailed Audi UK about this reported fault.
A few days later they called me and said they were not aware of this fault, though now there is a technical bulletin for all dealers, if this a customer should report a fault of this nature all dealers will or should now the fix.

Strange way of doing it, mine is possibly going to be a week 47 saloon and the last thing I'd want to have to do is drive over to the dealership not long after collecting it...

I would mention this issue before collecting it !!
It only seems to come to light when its run in, I have done 1200 miles, it seem to be between 500-1000 miles.
This is I believe is the Audi Tech Bulletin ID: TPI2033013/4

Hi all,

My 63 plate 14 TFSI has the exact same issue, took it in today for a new tyre (don't ask) and mentioned this issue and the service department said straightaway that they knew about it already and to get it booked in. Unfortunately they don't have any courtesy cars available until 02/07 so booked in for then.

Will post an update once they have carried out the work.

I have an A1 with the same 1.4tfsi engine (caxa). Almost immediately after having it remapped I started to hear this rattle and then started to have big stuttering between 2-3k rpm. My tuner came across this linkage issue on a golf forum (again same engine code).
The noise can only be replicated whilst accelerating and on closer examination of the waste gate linkage arm, when it is pushed by the actuator rod the arm has a slight twist in it's arc. Presumably the 'play' in this joint is allowing gases to escape from the wastegate under acceleration... I've ordered 'the clip' which will hopefully solve my problem!

Hi All,

I purchased the new A3 S-Line back in Oct 12 and after about 500 miles it started to make a noise on startup (only after it had been left standing overnight or for at least 6 hours. It has been back to the Audi garage twice now and they still have not resolved it, however they came back to me last week to say they have identified the noise and state it is the turbo charger linkage, currently they are working on a 'fix' for this and apparently my car is not the only one with this issue.

So my question is, does anyone else have this fault on their new A3 and have you had any resolve ?

Also does this noise sound like an issue with the linkage or are they just giving me the run-around ?

I have uploaded the noise to sound cloud (link below) for people to have a listen, any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

New A3 S-Line Turbo Charger Linkage Fault at startup by Redhotrobbo on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

My 2015 A3 1.4 has the same engine noise at startup as the OP. It is the exact same noise as the sound clip posted by the OP, and not the rattle that seems all the reply is about.

Does anyone know about the OPs original issue and if there is a fix for it?

Thanks

Reactions: pburv
SUCCESS!!!!!

I am now rattle free :D :D :D :D :D :D (and the car too)

It turns out that my clip was indeed damaged. They blamed it on the fact the engine was too hot to work on last time, and they think they damaged / bent the clip whilst trying to fit it without burning their hands (well, at least they're honest). They also said they've now fitted a new clip - but I'm a bit baffled how they managed to get another one on such short notice, unless the supply issue has been resolved??

Regardless, I now have a silent drive :)

Time for a celebratory dance....

fzwBb.gif
Hi there
Could you tell us if the solution was for an audi a3 1.8tfsi 8vs? If so; can you tell us the part number of the clip? thank you

Reactions: pburv
Hi there
Could you tell us if the solution was for an audi a3 1.8tfsi 8vs? If so; can you tell us the part number of the clip? thank you
I think it's a universal part???
The official VAG part number is....06J145220A

Anyone fit this themselves. my 1.4 66 plate doesnt seem to want to let me slot it into place?
those who went to the dealer how much did they charge to sort it