New A3 registration number request

I'm not keen on Nottingham Audi had a problem few years ago when they were at basford crossings so I bought mine from Sheffield Audi, even though I live 3 miles from Nottingham dealership. My dad also had problems with them and he bought his last 5 Audi's from Lincoln Audi.

Sean

Can't say I've had a problem with them yet. I live 2 miles away so it was the obvious place to go. I'll have no qualms about going elsewhere next time if I do run into any problems though. I considered going to Derby and Leicster as well if I had problems - though will avoid Leicester now based on comments here. I'm in the Lincoln area very often so that would make sense too.

Nice ordinary non look at me plates...for me!

Last edited:
One of the best and cheapest ways to 'personalise' your car from all the other similar cars on the road. You choose everything else on the car you order so why not one of the most noticeable items on the car. It is the one thing that most people and organisations will use to describe your car.

Usually that xxxxxx with a PP.

Usually not a pleasant descriptor IMHO

Reactions: Scott
Usually that xxxxxx with a PP.

Usually not a pleasant descriptor IMHO

We all know you hate private plates, but can I suggest that you take a slightly more considered view. Not everyone driving a car with private plate drives badly. Just as many on ordinary plates are just as bad. I personally don't like Black cars especially with privacy glass. I think they look like vans, but I don't go on and on and on about it. Just accept that you don't like them but a lot of other members do and think they are a good way to personalise their car. Each to his own!!!

Reactions: Audimad, NHN and cemerson
I'd never have one, but as Dave says - each to their own. You sound like a broken record Pilot, nobody wants to read endless streams of your opinion on private plates every time they come up. We know you don't like them, leave it at that!

Are h5djr and cemerson emotionally attached, because wherever there's one, the other is not far away?

Oh, and I would not have a private plate. Unless, perhaps, I felt the need to disguise the age of an older car.

Reactions: PilotAudi
Are h5djr and cemerson emotionally attached, because wherever there's one, the other is not far away?

Great minds think alike, that's all...

Reactions: PilotAudi and Anarch
We all know you hate private plates, but can I suggest that you take a slightly more considered view. Not everyone driving a car with private plate drives badly. Just as many on ordinary plates are just as bad. I personally don't like Black cars especially with privacy glass. I think they look like vans, but I don't go on and on and on about it. Just accept that you don't like them but a lot of other members do and think they are a good way to personalise their car. Each to his own!!!

Dave, I have never said people with PPs drive badly,. The cap may fit some. I don't know why People keep stirring it up with PPs. If they do I and others respond. ****** all to do with Audis most are fitted to caravaners 4x4s and vans and cheap cars. At the other end there are the HRH 1 brigade. The xxxxxx could be anything geezer ;-)

Just to add to the fun I thought I'd post this picture.....

A3 2009 0018

Reactions: StefRobinson
We just get ours issued by the sales admin girl, not sure if you get a choice if you ask but you might I suppose.

When mine was coming up I just sat and prayed that I wasn't given anything silly, coming from Birmingham reg pools one of my colleagues has an A4 that starts "BJ" and as long as it wasn't that I was happy enough, landed on "BU" so it was all good in the end phew.

There used to be a tow truck doing the rounds up here that had the reg SUK 808Y which anybody in Scotland might understand, Boby is slang for ahem your old chap I suppose.

Amusing thing is it was a big guy driving it and you couldn't quite be sure if it was an indication of what he liked to do or something else :)

My wife's last new fiesta was a BJ11 - gave me many hours of amusement!!

Is that the wife or the number plate. BJ11 that's really cool ;-)

When I was in Solihull a few years back all the red buses i saw were BU5 5 ***. Gosh that was amusing ..

Is that the wife or the number plate. BJ11 that's really cool ;-)

When I was in Solihull a few years back all the red buses i saw were BU5 5 ***. Gosh that was amusing ..

A accountant in Bedford had a bright red Porsche 911 with the number TAX 5.

Also in Bedford a few years ago there was another Porsche 911 with the PEN IS.

Possible the best one I've seen in Germany was around Stuttgart - S:EX69

Reactions: M11 CUV
The wait for a 14 plate is purely financial. Car arrives mid February wait until 1 March will result in several hundred pound saving in 2017.

I dislike PPs because so many of the people ( no t necessarily on here) are absolute ar53 OLE s

Private plate or not it's up to each individual if they want one or not !

Just got my reg from Leeds Audi. It just happens to end in my initials. Not sure whether it is intentional or not though.

That's lucky for you unless you are concerned people will think you have a PP ;-)

I wouldn't worry about a genuine freebie like that but I would no way pay for one or even the transfer fee!

It seems that despite my request my car has had a reg number assigned to it already...

That's lucky for you unless you are concerned people will think you have a PP ;-)

I wouldn't worry about a genuine freebie like that but I would no way pay for one or even the transfer fee!

Yeah, I wouldn't have paid for a PP but it is a nice bonus. Not too concerned about people thinking it is a PP as only those who know me would even notice as it is a standard format plate

Reactions: PilotAudi
Yeah, I wouldn't have paid for a PP but it is a nice bonus. Not too concerned about people thinking it is a PP as only those who know me would even notice as it is a standard format plate

This is a very valid point. Private Plates in standard format & font don't jump out as PPs (unless you know letter prefix codes and the car starts with a non-geographic letter.

I used to know a police traffic biker and he told me that they found that cars with obvious private plates (& I don't mean the ones in cursive scripted text or letters moved in a vain attempt to make a word) were more likely to have valid MOT / Tax & Insurance that your average punter.

(and yes, I have a PP).

Well that's not what the Blue Lamp Police Drivers in Eastleigh told me Johnny!! Perhaps he was trying to humour you ;-0

Even my personal plate is a standard form plate, or it was in 1991 when I bought it from the DVLA for £230 including the £80 transfer fee. A few weeks ago someone did say to me "Your car is not really that old is it"

Even my personal plate is a standard form plate, or it was in 1991 when I bought it from the DVLA for £230 including the £80 transfer fee. A few weeks ago someone did say to me "Your car is not really that old is it"

I think they were humouring you Dave or just taking the PI 55 ***

The person concerned probably knows about registration numbers but would not know an Audi from a Proton!! He currently drives a very old (pre VAG) Skoda and thinks it's wonderful.

The person concerned probably knows about registration numbers but would not know an Audi from a Proton!! He currently drives a very old (pre VAG) Skoda and thinks it's wonderful.

You know how to live around your way Dave ;-)

You know how to live around your way Dave ;-)

Yes and I was acting as a 'computer buddy' at the local library at the time and this guy had just purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 and could not work out how to use it. Surprise Surprise!!

Last edited:
Hi there,

I am in the process of purchasing a new A3 Sportsback and queried with my dealer whether it would be possible to choose my vehicle registration number from a list available near to the point of handover. I previously did thus with my current vehicle from the same dealer. They have said that because of DVLA changes introduced in July 2013, their number plates are now automatically assigned. Has anyone else experienced this? I thought that it was just the tax discs that were dealt with electronically.

Cheers

I can now categorically say that you can choose from a list of numbers IF your dealer is prepared to share them with you.

We were emailed 20 or so and picked one we liked, no PP just easy to remember.

I can now categorically say that you can choose from a list of numbers IF your dealer is prepared to share them with you.

We were emailed 20 or so and picked one we liked, no PP just easy to remember.

Thanks for the confirmation. I went back to my dealer again a couple of weeks ago and they have now said that someone for the new car sales admin team will contact to chose one form a list of options.

My my car is due to be collected on the 01st March. My dealer has asked me to come in the last week of February to sign the paperwork. Surely you don't sign to accept the new vehicle until the point of handover?

Cheers

I wouldn't hand over any money until all checked over.

Thanks for the confirmation. I went back to my dealer again a couple of weeks ago and they have now said that someone for the new car sales admin team will contact to chose one form a list of options.

My my car is due to be collected on the 01st March. My dealer has asked me to come in the last week of February to sign the paperwork. Surely you don't sign to accept the new vehicle until the point of handover?

Cheers

It may be related to your insurance being required to register the car in your name unless you take up the option of the free 7-day Audi cover. I have a personal plate and all I ever need to do is give them the Retention Certificate and have it insured with the 7-day Audi cover. I must admit I cannot remember if I have to sign any forms to do with the insurance or registration but no money changes hands until I collect the car. At least I don't have to choose a registration number - I already know what it will be. The advantage of the 7 day Audi cover is that you don't need to get a new insurance certificate from you normal insurance and get it to the dealer before they can register the car.

Hi there,

I am in the process of purchasing a new A3 Sportsback and queried with my dealer whether it would be possible to choose my vehicle registration number from a list available near to the point of handover. I previously did thus with my current vehicle from the same dealer. They have said that because of DVLA changes introduced in July 2013, their number plates are now automatically assigned. Has anyone else experienced this? I thought that it was just the tax discs that were dealt with electronically.

Cheers

Got to choose my 14 plate today from list of c100, makes me think I'm finally going to get the S3 I ordered last June! Did contemplate a PP had it arrived earlier, surprising number of S3 and S111 plates from DVLA at £250 up

Got to choose my 14 plate today from list of c100, makes me think I'm finally going to get the S3 I ordered last June! Did contemplate a PP had it arrived earlier, surprising number of S3 and S111 plates from DVLA at £250 up

Stick with 14 eh ;-)

It may be related to your insurance being required to register the car in your name unless you take up the option of the free 7-day Audi cover. I have a personal plate and all I ever need to do is give them the Retention Certificate and have it insured with the 7-day Audi cover. I must admit I cannot remember if I have to sign any forms to do with the insurance or registration but no money changes hands until I collect the car. At least I don't have to choose a registration number - I already know what it will be. The advantage of the 7 day Audi cover is that you don't need to get a new insurance certificate from you normal insurance and get it to the dealer before they can register the car.

7 day cover is easy. Not exclusive to having a PP! But you do have to engage with Audi insurers.

I can't be *****.. Far simpler to just call my insurer and they send cover certificate to dealer .

I also don't need a PP to remember all my reg nos!