New A3 PFL - Recommended Changes

B_Elbon

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've recently purchased my first ever Audi - a 2016 A3 1.4 TFSI (125bhp) and am loving it so far.

Having had a look through the forum I've seen some very impressive modifications that some people have made to their cars - so my question is what changes would you recommend from stock to improve my experience with the car?

I've already looked into the remap to take the car to 150bhp but insurance appears to be an issue.
Any recommendations for Carplay retrofits etc would be appreciated.

Cheers

Fo remap I use adrian fluk for insurance they promote mods including remaps. You'll find tons of mods on here just do what suits you mate

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove the snow grate in the intake and get Carista to enable mirror dip, oil temp display, beep on lock/unlock etc

Reactions: craigpanthercrystal
Fo remap I use adrian fluk for insurance they promote mods including remaps. You'll find tons of mods on here just do what suits you mate

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Cheers mate I'll have a look into it.

Remove the snow grate in the intake and get Carista to enable mirror dip, oil temp display, beep on lock/unlock etc

What do you mean by ''Remove the snow grate in the intake"..?? How does this help or what happens by doing so?

So I've gotten in touch with a few remapping places close to where I live and have been quoted some performance increase by one of them.... I have the 1.4TFSI with 125bhp and 200nm torque...this place are claiming they can remap to 178bhp and 295nm which seems like quite a lot...with the S-tronic gearbox do any of you think this significant increase could pose any problems?

So I've gotten in touch with a few remapping places close to where I live and have been quoted some performance increase by one of them.... I have the 1.4TFSI with 125bhp and 200nm torque...this place are claiming they can remap to 178bhp and 295nm which seems like quite a lot...with the S-tronic gearbox do any of you think this significant increase could pose any problems?

Don't follow the numbers, go with reputation. plenty of recommendations and reviews on here

Don't follow the numbers, go with reputation. plenty of recommendations and reviews on here
Yeah going up at the weekend to see the place and that - seem reputable enough going off their website but would like to see it in person. I’ll have a look through other posts and see if anyone recommends anything up near Glasgow or Edinburgh

^This.

A quality map will give smoother power delivery and not over stress the engine.

The quoted numbers are about a 40% increase over stock. That’s a big ask for stage 1 and insurance companies start to get twitchy when increase is over 25%. The internals of the 125PS are different to the 140/150 PS and not as hardy. I am not a mapper but do question the effect of that map on engine longevity

To your gearbox question: if it’s the DQ200 7 speed dry clutch then it should be able to take the extra power as it was also used on the front wheel drive 1.8 @ 180PS though the proposed mapped torque figures are a bit higher than the 1.8 litre. The DQ200 has been ok with the 1.8 at stage 1 maps but does have a design weakness in a part of the mechatronics, though that has potential to affect any of them, regardless of map or not. See link:

https://www.ecutesting.com/common-faults/volkswagen/volkswagen-golf-audi-a3-dsg-7-gearbox-problem/

That said, don’t believe the scare stories over the the DQ200.

The DQ200 had a revision in 2013 to replace the mechatronics oil with mineral oil as opposed to synthetic but yours is later and should be factory fill with mineral oil. After this, reliability has been pretty good.

There was a gearbox software update in ~2015 but Audi can confirm whether it was done on your car. There was talk on BriskSkoda about a software update in 2017 but my DQ200 didn’t need an update when it went to Audi in 2018 so don’t know the back story to that discussion.

Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

Yeah going up at the weekend to see the place and that - seem reputable enough going off their website but would like to see it in person. I’ll have a look through other posts and see if anyone recommends anything up near Glasgow or Edinburgh
I’ve heard some good things about quantum tuning but don’t know anyone personally who have used them. I believe they have a Center near you

I’ve heard some good things about quantum tuning but don’t know anyone personally who have used them. I believe they have a Center near you
Yeah their website seems to redirect to a few places up here. One that seems to come up quite regularly is Supertune Scotland.

^This.

A quality map will give smoother power delivery and not over stress the engine.

The quoted numbers are about a 40% increase over stock. That’s a big ask for stage 1 and insurance companies start to get twitchy when increase is over 25%. The internals of the 125PS are different to the 140/150 PS and not as hardy. I am not a mapper but do question the effect of that map on engine longevity

To your gearbox question: if it’s the DQ200 7 speed dry clutch then it should be able to take the extra power as it was also used on the front wheel drive 1.8 @ 180PS though the proposed mapped torque figures are a bit higher than the 1.8 litre. The DQ200 has been ok with the 1.8 at stage 1 maps but does have a design weakness in a part of the mechatronics, though that has potential to affect any of them, regardless of map or not. See link:

https://www.ecutesting.com/common-faults/volkswagen/volkswagen-golf-audi-a3-dsg-7-gearbox-problem/

That said, don’t believe the scare stories over the the DQ200.

The DQ200 had a revision in 2013 to replace the mechatronics oil with mineral oil as opposed to synthetic but yours is later and should be factory fill with mineral oil. After this, reliability has been pretty good.

There was a gearbox software update in ~2015 but Audi can confirm whether it was done on your car. There was talk on BriskSkoda about a software update in 2017 but my DQ200 didn’t need an update when it went to Audi in 2018 so don’t know the back story to that discussion.
Thanks for that John - fairly new to car modifications so was very helpful.

When I saw those figures I mentioned I was quite shocked - and they did seem a bit high. My biggest concern with the map is longevity since I have only recently purchased the car and will more than likely have to hold onto it for around 4 years minimum...

In terms of the software update that you mentioned - does that have to be carried out by an Audi Partner garage?

Apologies if i'm asking any silly questions, this is a far throw from my previous, pretty basic, astra.

Cheers