New a3 owner, advice appreciated please.

Carefree69

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here and would really appreciate some advice.

I purchased a 2010 60 plate A3 2.0TDI Sportback 4 weeks ago from a well establised independant dealership. The car had 2 previous owners, FSH but not all Audi and only 38,400 miles. It is in very good nick both inside and out HOWEVER having a nose around underneath it yesterday I noticed a bit of rust at the rear that I wouldnt expect on a car of this age.

I also have a Skoda Favia vRS that I purchased new in 2004 (so now 10 years old) and i took a look under that yesterday and there isnt nearly as much rust, if any.

I have attached pics, one of the car to give you an idea of its general condition, and two of the rear underside. Is this rust excessive? Should I be concerned? I have had a tap around and every part still has that solid metallic sound, but I'm still convinced that it shouldn't look this rusted already?

Any feedback would be gratefully recieved, thanks.

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Nice looking car. Im sure the guys be along shortly to offer you some advice. Where are you located? Any mods planned for the car? Have a read of the faqs thread, lots of info in there. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Reactions: S3Alex
Shouldnt be that much rust.... Not too sure though.

Can always wire brush it and give it a quick paint to keep it from going further?

I don't think mine looks much different along the crossmembers either.

Last edited:
i wouldn't worry tbh...might have lived near the coast?

Reactions: jase1
Welcome to the forum.

Might sound like a strange question but, do you know which area of the country the car is from/has been driven?

If it's been driven around a lot in bad weather such as snow and all the salt hasn't been jet washed off from underneath, it could cause it to rust prematurely.

If you're concerned, give it a rub down and a couple of coats of Hammerite.

Thanks so much for the replies so far ( you guys seem far friendlier than another audi forum I joined and then left recently). The car was supplied new from Stoke Audi and the last owners address appears to have been on a farm in Nottingham ( at least xxxx Farm is mentioned in the address anyway).

Actually the pics look worse than it is, just wondered if this was anything to be overly concerned with.

Reactions: S3Alex
Mines pretty much like that ... It is a 2005 year though. Nothing to worry about really, but I would (as I will be doing) get it sorted ... A few bilt hamber rust products should clear it up a treat ... Or you could pay for someone to do it for you. Regular power washing of the chassis should help rust developing further.

May well be a consequence of its former(farmer) life then.

That's got have lived near the sea at some point. It certainly isn't going to trouble you but will only get worse.

The former owner was a Director of a printing company and I assume thier premises was on or near a farm, hence the address.

I think i will rub it down and give it a coat of something.

Cheers guys, appreciated.

Last edited:
That's what happens when parking on grass or mud as opposed to tarmac, concrete or gravel.

I'm sure you can buy paint specifically for the chassis.

I'll be looking to get some of that and give it a going over, thank you.

BTW, ****** great site. I've been a member of Briskoda for the last 10 years and having had a nose around on here for a while before signing up this beats it hands down. Good job Mods.

Reactions: DJ_26, S3Alex, Sandra and 2 others
@Carefree69 . Thanks for the kind words, we are very happy that you are enjoying the forum. :) x

Reactions: Carefree69
We're a good, friendly bunch here.

Reactions: Sandra and Carefree69
Haha im putting in a bulk order right now, thanks again all......I'm feeling like I may be an active member here for a good while:icon thumright:

Reactions: Sandra, shadow1993 and Yolo_8p3
Haha im putting in a bulk order right now, thanks again all......I'm feeling like I may be an active member here for a good while:icon thumright:

Just remember us moderators all like doughnuts, lol. Where are you located?

Reactions: Yolo_8p3
Yeh we take Krispy Kreme doughnuts from all new members :D

I'm sure it's somewhere in the 'Terms and Rules' that every new member should buy 1 donut for existing members that comment on their thread ;)

Reactions: Yolo_8p3 and Sandra
I have found this forum to be very helpful at spending your hard earned :audibash:

Reactions: Sandra
I'm sure it's somewhere in the 'Terms and Rules' that every new member should buy 1 donut for existing members that comment on their thread ;)
If that is indeed the case I shall be seeking out every new member from now on and commenting on their thread, whether I have something valid to say or not:arco:

Reactions: Sandra and leeds2592
And i may need to cut down my posts or i will be as round as a doughnut, lol.

Reactions: leeds2592 and Yolo_8p3
That's what happens when parking on grass or mud as opposed to tarmac, concrete or gravel.

I'm sure you can buy paint specifically for the chassis.

Yes second that:)
The metal is so thick you shouldnt have any problems other than the looks...but if it was me i would do something about it :)

Hammerite do a chassis paint in black and it's thicker than normal hammerite so will do the job a treat

Just make sure you wire brush it all first and then treat the rust with something like kurust before putting a good coat of underseal on it.

Nice one folks, really appreciate the advice and the warm welcome:kissmyrings:

Reactions: Sandra
How do Carefree, I've not been on here for long either but, I do agree that it is a good place to spend a while and find out much about your car. Not done any chassis painting for many a year, last time was my RS1600i and I used Hammerite, that was in 1998.
I still have the RS and the Hammerite has lasted the pace.

By the way, this will be an expensive doughnut, Essex to Dingwall is no short haul.....lol.

:laugh:

Hey Jakey, cheers for that mate. I definately will give it the Hammerite treatment because so far this is the only thing about the car I am not comfortable with, other than this I love it.

I must admit, the old dougnut count is adding up, plus the postage and packing:livid:

RS1600i, nice:thumbs up:

Reactions: Sandra and Jake 61
@Carefree69 you need to just bring me a box of chocolate doughnuts to make you trip to west Scotland worthwhile. Lol. :) x

Mine is now 10 years old and doesn\t have any rust there still. Previous owner drove it around Switzerland (and they don't use salt for roads there) so I find the rust on yours very weird (and mine has 162k miles).

That level of light surface corrosion is perfectly fine for a car approaching 5 yrs old. I had an rx8 from new that was far worse than that after 1yr! Do as everyone says and treat it but I would also inject waxoil in the areas you can't get to. It will then last a lifetime. You can get garages to clean off the rust and underseal if you don't fancy doing it yourself

my rear suspension looks to be in a similar state to yours but it is a 55 plate.

Over the years i have used Jenolite, hammerite and waxoyl but i believe things have moved on... not saying those products are **** but from what my web searches Bilt Hamber products seems to be the choice of the car enthusiast these days.
ive just placed an order for Built Hamber products Hydrate 80, Deox gel and Dynax UB.

Hopefully ill be able to make a start on my de rusting at the weekend. ill update my project thread with progress pics.