New A3 Black Edtion

bevanoli

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post so be kind!

Just about to order a new black edtion, probably in white but i want to know about the engines and what people have here

At the moment ive got the Leon FR 180bhp - to be fair its thirsty!

So does anyone on here have the 140bhp version of the black edtion and if you do, what MPG do you get and how many miles from the tank?

Does anyone have the 170 but in the manual/auto and is there a difference in the MPG between the two versions?

Cheers guys, going to be doing about 35k per year in it so need it to be good on fuel!

Cheers

Mark

Hi, Just ordered a Sportback 2.0 (170) Black Edition in Glacier White. Not ready until the end of September though. Hopefully should get 50 mpg ish. My Alfa Brera averaged about 29 mpg, plus a bit cramped in the rear. Steve

Last edited:
yeah thats what the dealer said to me too,

im going to go for the Ibis white as its a lease car

My 170 Quattro does about 46ish on a long motorway run..... I have only done 2500 miles in it so expect it will get a little better..

Cheers,
Si

Hi All,

First post so be kind!

Just about to order a new black edtion, probably in white but i want to know about the engines and what people have here

At the moment ive got the Leon FR 180bhp - to be fair its thirsty!

So does anyone on here have the 140bhp version of the black edtion and if you do, what MPG do you get and how many miles from the tank?

Does anyone have the 170 but in the manual/auto and is there a difference in the MPG between the two versions?

Cheers guys, going to be doing about 35k per year in it so need it to be good on fuel!

Cheers

Mark

Hi mate,

Is your leon Petrol or derv then? I had the fr petrol and it was very thirsty.

Cheers,
Si

I get around 55MPG m/way and between 45-50MPG local journeys. That's a 140 BE, wish i hadn't chosen ibis though:banghead:

currently getting around 44 around town and 50 on a motorway run.
I only have 300 miles on it though. It is a 140 BE

I dont think you can go wrong with a 140. Plenty powerful enough for me and at 35K miles a year you must be on motorways a lot so the extra horses woudl probably be a waste of time.

Hi mate,

Is your leon Petrol or derv then? I had the fr petrol and it was very thirsty.

Cheers,
Si

hi Si,

Ive got the 170 BHP 2.0 tdi, but i do find this thirsty... especially when booting it! hence why i want to go for the 140BHP, trouble is, I will probably go for the 140BHP and thrash it out like the 170BHP so may aswell get the 170..

Reactions: A3_Black_Edition
i've just come from a phantom black and now with Ibis again. i have to say the Ibis for me stays cleaner for longer, make sure you wax or seal with some good stuff and you should have no problems with ibis white

Last edited:
I have a 170 S - Tronic and I only get 400 - 450 miles to a tank, motorway miles in the week with a bit of town driving at the weekend....

i've just come from a phantom black and now with Ibis again. i have to say the Ibis for me stays cleaner for longer, make sure you wax or seal with some good stuff and you should have no problems with ibis white

I can second that, Ive just come from a candy white mk6 to a brill black A3 sb and the black is a nightmare to stay clean esp if it rains! The white would look cleaner for longer.

I agree, if you stick a good wax on it then it isn't too bad to keep clean. I do love it when it is clean!

Cheers,
Si

I have a 140 TDi BE 3dr and since getting it 3wks ago, on two runs, just over 3hrs with 85% motorway driving, the DIS showed 60.7 and 60.4 mpg. Don't know how true this is, but need to calculate with fill-ups to compare.

Truefully, I was a bit disappointed as I thought it would be a bit closer to book value, ~74 mpg!. I suppose though I wasn't driving at 58mph with no air con on, with an empty boot!.

I used to have the 170bhp and then bought an A5 last year and we have just ordered an A3 again and as its cheaper and I used to love my A3. I first ordered the 140bhp (economy, road tax) where the drivers for it but when I got home I posted on the forum and got more confused and then changed it to the 170bhp, not sure if you would notice the economy difference that much but boy does the car shift through gears and I beleive its £100 a year for the road tax. No need to then chip the 140bhp to what I can have as standard.

We did have the white 170bhp and loved it, then one of my mates said I flash most A3 white cars as I think its yours, thats when I noticed that every other A3 was white! This time just went for black, black edition

I used to have the 170bhp and then bought an A5 last year and we have just ordered an A3 again and as its cheaper and I used to love my A3. I first ordered the 140bhp (economy, road tax) where the drivers for it but when I got home I posted on the forum and got more confused and then changed it to the 170bhp, not sure if you would notice the economy difference that much but boy does the car shift through gears and I beleive its £100 a year for the road tax. No need to then chip the 140bhp to what I can have as standard.

We did have the white 170bhp and loved it, then one of my mates said I flash most A3 white cars as I think its yours, thats when I noticed that every other A3 was white! This time just went for black, black edition

Thanks for this,

I havent ordered it as yet, but just about to, will definately go for the 170bhp as its one which Ive got now..

Surely if i chip it, then when it goes to Audi for a service they will know and ill need to do it again?

I only want to chip it for the better MPG