New A3 122 BHP Vs 140 BHP...Which to go for?

You do seem to like your current ecoboost engine as have mentioned it on a few occasions in posts in this forum, pity Ford can't build premium cars around a pretty decent engine as you would be happy as a Sand boy but not sure the OP was asking for a view of Ford engines.

Yes my idea car would be a A3 saloon with the 1.6 ecoboost engine in candy red, but I can't have it all my way. I do like my Focus and it does fit my needs, however we also have just purchased a 2013 Fiesta Titanium X with the 1.0l ecoboost and having two Ford's in the family is just too geeky. This might be my last ever car purchase, who knows, so I am looking at something with a more premium look and feel to it, and something a little different of course.
Having said that, Ford did raise the bar for a family car with the Mk3 Focus and the Mk4 Mondeo, which I had before the Focus, and I cannot complain about the cost as I got very good deals for them both.

Id go for the 140PS engine, a little bit more cost for better performance and economy.

The only flip side to that argument is will you really notice the little bit extra. The money you save could go to a nice track day in a really nice car. After all the difference in economy isnt going to get you that much savings in three years before you trade in.

I look forward to this question being asked in a year when the e-tron should be out?

Id go for the 140PS engine, a little bit more cost for better performance and economy.

The only flip side to that argument is will you really notice the little bit extra. The money you save could go to a nice track day in a really nice car. After all the difference in economy isnt going to get you that much savings in three years before you trade in.

I look forward to this question being asked in a year when the e-tron should be out?

Choosing the 1.4 only leads to another dilemma as the 1.4 at present only comes with the dsg box on the saloon which I really do not want knowing that with the manual would lead to a saving of £1500 and I truly hate them. Having said that my broker is listing the manual 6-speed box but without any prices so is the stick shift coming to the 1.4 saloon in the near future?

EDIT: My apologies Bob, your reply was obviously to the OP. I've just checked the Audi site and they are now listing the 1.4 with the 6-Speed. E-Mail off to local dealership...

Last edited:
I've driven the 120 bhp new Golf and to me it felt under powered, ok for town driving or when your retired but if you want to overtake on the motorway you need to red line it. IMHO.