VAG CAR CODING
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
VAG Can Professional
ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)
Reaction score
Website
vagcarcoding.com
Collected today with 23miles on the clock. Some of you might know me from the A3 forum and know that my vehicles don't stay stock very long.

IMG 0033 IMG 0034

Car was collected with the ship wrap still on it. To the dealership that zero prep was to be completed, my detailer is booked.

SQ5 TDI 3.0 V6255 Mild Hybrid
  • 21" Audi Sport 5 Double Spoke V Style Wheels
  • Technology Pack with B&O 3D Sound
  • Fuel tank with increased volume
  • MagRide System
  • Red Calipers
  • Sports Seats in Fine Nappa Leather with Massage
  • Rear Bench Plus
  • Advanced Key
  • Folding Mirrors
  • LED Headlights with Highbeam Assist
  • Reversing Camera
  • Hold Assist
  • Acoustic Glass
Got a cracking deal on the car so did not really get any goodies thrown in, just a couple of Geko's, however when I got home and popped the boot I found a seat of new OEM roof bars and an OEM Roof Bag.

First round of Mods Incoming, all being completed by VAG Car Coding ™ Limited, which is myself :)

Ghost II
IMG 0043

Audi Rings for the rear doors
IMG 0044

Thinkware Q800Pro Front and Rear Dashcam with External Battery

IMG 0046

Genuine OEM Running Boards and a Load Liner are on order. Parts for Memory Seats and Active TPMS are on there way also.

Reactions: Mkay315, Jcbmally, JohnM100 and 9 others
Very nice Alix. What’s the power on that beast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DJAlix
Very nice Alix. What’s the power on that beast

Thanks! 342bhp I think. Will find out for sure once its been on the rollers :)

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, RS3 S. and 1 other person
71698340e3ff4950f2fecef2abf665bb.jpg

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, DJAlix and 1 other person
Hi Alix. Looks good, the roof bars & bag come standard with the SQ5, at least that's what the dealer told me with mine before it went for my ''as you know'' RS6.

Reactions: NevMan
Hi Alix - where are you getting your running boards from? OEM or aftermarket?

Hi Alix - where are you getting your running boards from? OEM or aftermarket?
Genuine OEM and turned up today :) The boxes were MASSIVE so here are the parts minus the boxes where are now in the recycling:)

IMG 0053

The dealership I purchased the vehicle from wanted £1500 to supply and fit the same. With my trade discount these were working out approx £700. I found an Audi dealership offering these for £600 or best offer on eBay. I managed to secure these for £500 with delivery :) If interested send me a PM and will send you the listing as they have 2 sets left.

Reactions: Jcbmally, 8YARWY and NevMan
Nice car alix what else is on the retrofit list ? Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and Bishop187
Looks great Alix.

It's a little quieter down here to the A3 forum. ;)

Reactions: Jcbmally
Collected today with 23miles on the clock. Some of you might know me from the A3 forum and know that my vehicles don't stay stock very long.

View attachment 212462 View attachment 212463

Car was collected with the ship wrap still on it. To the dealership that zero prep was to be completed, my detailer is booked.

• MagRide System
  • Red Calipers
  • Rear Bench Plus
  • Advanced Key
  • Folding Mirrors
  • Reversing Camera
  • Hold Assist
  • Acoustic Glass
Got a cracking deal on the car so did not really get any goodies thrown in, just a couple of Geko's, however when I got home and popped the boot I found a seat of new OEM roof bars and an OEM Roof Bag.

First round of Mods Incoming, all being completed by VAG Car Coding Limited, which is myself :)

Ghost II
View attachment 212464

View attachment 212465

View attachment 212466

Genuine OEM Running Boards and a Load Liner are on order. Parts for Memory Seats and Active TPMS are on there way also.

Top spec there, just missing pano.
Look forward to seeing your mods and upgrades. What is the colour? Mythos Black?

Hi Alix. Looks good, the roof bars & bag come standard with the SQ5, at least that's what the dealer told me with mine before it went for my ''as you know'' RS6.
Dealer never mentioned this but you are most likely correct as these are not cheap and would not just be forgotten in the boot.

Reactions: Jcbmally and RS3 S.
Nice car alix what else is on the retrofit list ? Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Retrofit wise am looking at Active TPMS, Running Boards and Memory Seats parts are all on order. Matrix Lights would follow together with 360 camera and Night Vision. Am currently in talks with MTM re an M-Cantronic also.

Reactions: Jcbmally and RS3 S.
Dealer never mentioned this but you are most likely correct as these are not cheap and would not just be forgotten in the boot.

They do come with the Q5, as they did with the 8R version. I still have a set in my shed

Reactions: Jcbmally, RS3 S. and DJAlix

View attachment 212462 View attachment 212463

• MagRide System
  • Red Calipers
  • Rear Bench Plus
  • Advanced Key
  • Folding Mirrors
  • Reversing Camera
  • Hold Assist
  • Acoustic Glass

First round of Mods Incoming, all being completed by VAG Car Coding ™ Limited, which is myself :)

Ghost II
View attachment 212464

View attachment 212465

View attachment 212466

The car looks amazing!! Can’t wait to see what you’re going to get up to with it! I remember you mentioned you liked the SQ5. How does it feel compared to your old storm trooper A3 ?

Reactions: DJAlix
The car looks amazing!! Can’t wait to see what you’re going to get up to with it! I remember you mentioned you liked the SQ5. How does it feel compared to your old storm trooper A3 ?
Easy to drive as it doesn't feel big, effortless power, a very different animal to my A3. Loving it so far but I am missing the A3 is it was such a great car.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Callum Jarvis
Easy to drive as it doesn't feel big, effortless power, a very different animal to my A3. Loving it so far but I am missing the A3 is it was such a great car.

I agree, the Q2, 3 and 5 don’t have a particularly high ride height...doesn’t feel to different to a non SUV. I think that’s why some people prefer the Range/Land Rovers, higher seating position. The only exemption I’d say is the Q7...that’s just a beast. I’m glad you’re enjoying it and I’ll be watching out for your 360 camera retrofit!!

Very I would say, never mind the size and height the fact it is diesel, which is devils fuel to many

When I collected the vehicle it still had the deliver wrap on it. I took with of at the dealership in order to make sure there was no damage etc and then drove the vehicle home and it has not moved since. Today my dealer came over and spent the day getting the vehicle ready for winter, all sealed up with gTechniq etc etc

UIMG 0160

Yesterday I spent all day installing the Autowatch Ghost II. Yup, took me all day, not because I did not know what I was doing but because I wanted to bury the device deep in the vehicle where no one would find it let alone be able to remove it :)

I installed the Thinkware Q800Pro 2CH System over the weekend just gone, complete with external iVolt battery in the rear of the vehicle.

UIMG 0174 UIMG 0169 IMG 0180

Next up... Active TPMS and Running Boards.

IMG 0184

Reactions: Jcbmally, BarryG79, Ormesome and 3 others
TPMS sensors Installed:

DB8A8458 4C41 40C2 92A2 BA342C67F063

New 3D low profile plates also:

A0E4EABC C7DE 4147 AF8C 920A21165F8B

I have also installed and am testing my new VAG Car Coding Start / Stop Memory Module, more details to follow :)

Reactions: Jcbmally, Bishop187, AllanG and 1 other person
Decided to test multiple batteries from Thinkware. Blackvue offer their rebranded CellLink units which I have used with Thinkware systems in the past but I like the size of the Thinkware iVolt units so wanted to give two units a test. Needed to relocate the single unit from the Drivers rear compartment as there is not enough room in there for another unit, well not in my vehicle specification anyway. Batteries now located in the underfloor storage compartment:

IMG 0905 IMG 0908

Initially I thought the throttle pedal on this car was pretty good with no real lag but as I am getting used to the drive there is defiantly lag there. On my previous car, MY17 Audi A3, I opted for an analog TMC Motorsport Power Pedal. This was a basic deal box with 3 modes: Off, Normal and Sport. Sport was where I wanted to live however as this was a basic unit it would default to Normal with every ignition cycle. What I ended up doing, as I wanted a set and forget solution, was to fine tune the Normal mode as follows:

1) pop the cover off the box.
2) depress the throttle pedal to the point of where the vehicle started to creep and then back off a touch.
3) adjust the screw inside the box until the vehicle started to creep.

I wanted to do the same this time so ordered another analog box for the SQ5 however my order was upgraded by TMC Motorsport, at no cost, to an App Controlled version which arrived today. Let the Testing begin!

IMG 0914

Not off to a great start. Originally ordered the analog pedal box from TMC Motorsport but was upgraded to the app controlled one, which has different connectors to those on the car.

Reactions: Jcbmally and 8YARWY
How on earth are you achieving 35.5 mpg @DJAlix??!! I’m lucky if I get 22 mpg from my Macan S 3.0 litre petrol!! :whistle2:

How on earth are you achieving 35.5 mpg @DJAlix??!! I’m lucky if I get 22 mpg from my Macan S 3.0 litre petrol!! :whistle2:
I drove from north London to Croydon and back today, via central London in traffic and with start stop disabled. The V6 TDI lump in this car is amazing. Power on demand in any gear and can drive around the world on a tank :)

Reactions: Jcbmally, AllanG and 8YARWY
believe it or not BUT i got an average of 32.4 mpg from my RS6 over a 550 mile round trip on Thursday/Friday all motorway & sticking to the legal limit due to the route being covered in speed cameras, sorry cash machines. The cylinder deactivation really does help on these.

Reactions: AllanG
Its diesel remember in the new SQ5. But its all about the usage isnt it, I averaged about 30 over 22k miles in my petrol SQ5, but it was used mainly for longer journeys. A day of moving my son from Kennington to Elephant and Castle and a commute in and out of central London to do so gave an average for the day of less than 20!

Reactions: NevMan and AllanG
@DJAlix what's your thoughts after having it a few weeks ? There are a few naysayers that say the diesel S cars are loosing customers, but I have not heard anyone who has one agree.
Looks sweet nd the mods are a big +.

@DJAlix what's your thoughts after having it a few weeks ? There are a few naysayers that say the diesel S cars are loosing customers, but I have not heard anyone who has one agree.
Looks sweet nd the mods are a big +.
This is the first Diesel engine car I have owned as I have always favoured petrol, and would still rather have one but I cannot fault the V6 in anyway at all other than for the noise so far. Taking the MTM out of the equation, and in stock form, there is massive and effortless power available in every gear and mpg is amazing! I am really impressed with the V6 TDI but I don’t like is that the car sounds like a diesel from the front and a muscle car from the back. Hope the MTM S-Canteonic I have on order might solve most of that :) Way to early tho, need to get the car over 1500miles and then check oil consumption and start really throwing the car around.

love everything else about the car. The interior is on point, solid and well made using quality plastics, bar the door speaker grills which are an afterthought. The MLB super sports seats put the ones in the MQB platform to shame, interior lighting is great. I don’t have the air suspension but honestly don’t need it as the mag ride is bang on point. Cannot wait for everything to settle so I can calibrate and play with the system.

Reactions: 8YARWY, Jcbmally and Sandra
This is the first Diesel engine car I have owned as I have always favoured petrol, and would still rather have one but I cannot fault the V6 in anyway at all other than for the noise so far. Taking the MTM out of the equation, and in stock form, there is massive and effortless power available in every gear and mpg is amazing! I am really impressed with the V6 TDI but I don’t like is that the car sounds like a diesel from the front and a muscle car from the back. Hope the MTM S-Canteonic I have on order might solve most of that :) Way to early tho, need to get the car over 1500miles and then check oil consumption and start really throwing the car around.

love everything else about the car. The interior is on point, solid and well made using quality plastics, bar the door speaker grills which are an afterthought. The MLB super sports seats put the ones in the MQB platform to shame, interior lighting is great. I don’t have the air suspension but honestly don’t need it as the mag ride is bang on point. Cannot wait for everything to settle so I can calibrate and play with the system.
Sounds like it ticks a lot of boxes, a real sleeper of a car. Look forward to a "long term" review mate, all the best.

Reactions: 8YARWY
Sounds like it ticks a lot of boxes, a real sleeper of a car. Look forward to a "long term" review mate, all the best.
For me yes, its retrospectively ticked a lot of boxes. I say this because while I fancied an SUV I always thought I would end up with a pre OPF RS3 Saloon or newish S5 Sportback. The main reason I snapped this SQ5 up was the deal offered, I would have been stupid not to purchase it. The more time I spend on this car the more I like it for sure :)

Reactions: Jcbmally and 8YARWY
@DJAlix does yours suffer from the indecisiveness of the gearbox at low speed approaching junctions/traffic lights etc? Mine is like it is slipping the clutch before power comes on. There is a thread in the A6 forum about similar behaviour on V6 tdi models and a SW update which seems to have improved things.

@DJAlix does yours suffer from the indecisiveness of the gearbox at low speed approaching junctions/traffic lights etc? Mine is like it is slipping the clutch before power comes on. There is a thread in the A6 forum about similar behaviour on V6 tdi models and a SW update which seems to have improved things.
Nope, zero issues for me. Gearbox has been spot on so far. Got a link?

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/3-0-tdi-lazy-gearbox-turbo-lag-issues-software-update.418153/ (there are a few)

Post 3 is similar to mine, on slow down/coast up to a junction and then decide to go rather than stop, it seems to hesitate, can’t decide what gear, then engages, then like the clutch slips then goes. Sometimes similar when taking away from a standing start, in all other ways it works great. I came from a Alfa Stelvio with the ZF box which I believe is the same as this, if it is I wouldnt believe it based on the implementation.

A few Soft Modifications completed.

Advanced Modifications
  • Ability to Lock Vehicle with Engine Running
  • Video in Motion
  • EU Wide Speed Camera Locations

Standard Modifications
  • Seatbelt Warning Disabled
  • Daytime Running Lights MMI Toggle Menu Activated
  • Motorway Turn Signal Flash changed from 3 to 5
  • Automatic Application of Parking Break when Engine is Turned Off
  • Audi Greeting Sound
  • Audi Greeting Sound MMI Tone Menu