New 2.5 TFSI engine

TDI-line

Uber Post Whore
Reaction score
The upcoming Audi TT-S, which will feature quattro and the 2.0 tfsi engine due for release next year, will recieve a stronger version of the S3's 265ps, but will have 270ps to give it the edge

Following about a year after the release of the upgraded 2008 Audi TT-S, the 2009 Audi TT-RS will be the top of the line model in the lineup. Currently undergoing development at Audi's Ingolstadt headquarters in Southern Germany, the TT-RS will be Audi's answer to rival go-fast coupes such as the BMW Z4 M coupe and Porsche Cayman S. Rather than the 3.6-liter V6 engine as widely rumored, it is confirmed the range-topping TT is set to become the first Audi model to receive a new turbocharged version of parent company Volkswagen's long running 2.5-liter five-cylinder — as found in North American versions of the Jetta. Power output has set at 350ps, and insiders have said the sound it makes is wonderful, just like the five cylinder turbo charged motorsport cars of the 80's.

Now, shall we start the RS3 debate again with a new angle......

Lol.

Is that US engine a straight 5 or a VR5 like you used to be able to get in the last bora

Liking the sound of the TT-S, could be the car to get me out of the S3.

Those five cylinder cars do sound amazing, remember the old rallying quattro's of the 80's, awesome.Is the noise something to do with having an odd number of cylinders,remember having a three cylinder Diahatsu on holiday once, performance was pants but it did have a quattro ish bark, sounded great.

Mark

enda1 said:
Is that US engine a straight 5 or a VR5 like you used to be able to get in the last bora

Straight 5 I believe and in the US it produces a laughable 150bhp

I reported this a while ago when i heard it. Only thing is though Audi will only ever produce one RS model at a time so will be a long wait if it ever comes out! Dont forget the 3.6 engine from the up and coming Golf R36 too...

Hmm. Ulot think that the TFSI/TSI engines will end up becoming more popular than TDI's?

does the new tt have a longitudinal engine for the I5 to work then?

the v5 is ***** anyway not the power of a v6 and not the economy of 4 cylinder and it doesn't sound like I5 or a v6

dummi said:
does the new tt have a longitudinal engine for the I5 to work then?

the v5 is ***** anyway not the power of a v6 and not the economy of 4 cylinder and it doesn't sound like I5 or a v6

Why does the TT need to have a longitudinal engine to use an I5?

I disagree completely with your comments on the V5. It had exactly the same specific output of the V6 but since it was a 2.3 instead of 2.8 it was always going to have less bhp. We generally saw around 29-32mpg which we thought was pretty good for a 2.3. And the sound well, the firing order is the same as an I5 so it sounds pretty much like the old Audis. the main issue is that OEM exhausts are now quieter so you don't get all the noise you used to. And if you want it to sound like a V6, you bought the wrong car as it's got 5 not 6 cylinders :noway:

I still miss our V5 Bora. The engine was extremely flexible (something you don't get from reading performance figures). 2nd gear was good for trickly through traffic at 10mph right up to 55-60mph. The guy who bought it went round a roundabout in 5th and the engine didn't complain. It just got on with it and gave smooth acceleration when he wanted it. If I tried that in our TDI I'd be waiting an age for the turbo to come on song.

Macduff said:
Why does the TT need to have a longitudinal engine to use an I5?
---------------------------------------------
well an i5 is clearly not going to fit across it
----------------------------------------------
I disagree completely with your comments on the V5. It had exactly the same specific output of the V6 but since it was a 2.3 instead of 2.8 it was always going to have less bhp. We generally saw around 29-32mpg which we thought was pretty good for a 2.3. And the sound well, the firing order is the same as an I5 so it sounds pretty much like the old Audis. the main issue is that OEM exhausts are now quieter so you don't get all the noise you used to. And if you want it to sound like a V6, you bought the wrong car as it's got 5 not 6 cylinders :noway:

------------------------------------------------
thats personal choice, and my opinion i didn't like it, i would have rathered a lively 6 or an economical 4, but i suppose they have filled market if you like it
------------------------------------------------

I still miss our V5 Bora. The engine was extremely flexible (something you don't get from reading performance figures). 2nd gear was good for trickly through traffic at 10mph right up to 55-60mph. The guy who bought it went round a roundabout in 5th and the engine didn't complain. It just got on with it and gave smooth acceleration when he wanted it. If I tried that in our TDI I'd be waiting an age for the turbo to come on song.
--------------------------------------------------
i've got a good example of a 6 i thought little of before, and i'm now using it as a daily when my mum wanted rid of it, citroen xantia gears are crap 1st -50mph, 2nd -90mph, (off the road on the local the run way) 3rd -130mph , 4th passes the max on the speedo of 150. in its auto box will pull off in 2nd for economy i get 25-35mpg out of it i presume from a match of weight and gearing. some times it pulls off in 3rd for economy. never was a fan of french car before this and so i still miss my biturbo

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on engines. Personally I hate I4 engines as they have zero character. But they're cheap to produce and give a reasonable balance between performance and economy so it's the most common engine format. There are plenty of people who praise the V5. I'd much rather have it than the new 1.4TSI motor up front. They may have the same bhp but the V5 produces it with far more style.

Why do you think an I5 won't fit into the engine bay of a TT? Audi seem to think it will.

Didn't Fiat manage to fit an I5 into the Bravo and Coupe? Haven't Ford and Volvo managed it with the Focus and S40?

TDI-line said:
Now, shall we start the RS3 debate again with a new angle......

Lol.

Believe me, Audi will make an 8P RS3. Which p**sses me off to no end because that foils my 3.2 Turbo "RS3" project.

JaminBen said:
Believe me, Audi will make an 8P RS3. Which p**sses me off to no end because that foils my 3.2 Turbo "RS3" project.

How do you know that for sure? And how long do I have to save up?!

TDI-line said:
Lol. Did you see the date.

Yeah, over a year old, but they sort of got the S3 prediction right. Unlike all the other aritcles that say it will be a 3.2V6

They never get things right, the "exclusive" S3 pic they had ages ago look nothing like the S3....

38k for an RS3... mmm might be able to do that

Macduff said:
Why do you think an I5 won't fit into the engine bay of a TT? Audi seem to think it will.

Didn't Fiat manage to fit an I5 into the Bravo and Coupe? Haven't Ford and Volvo managed it with the Focus and S40?

true, i just think how compact a v6 looks in there, the 5 cyl is even bigger to fit across there, not sure if it is the quattro gearbox or what that makes it such a tight fit. either way a 5 cyl turbo will be nice

dummi said:
true, i just think how compact a v6 looks in there, the 5 cyl is even bigger to fit across there, not sure if it is the quattro gearbox or what that makes it such a tight fit. either way a 5 cyl turbo will be nice

Remember that the VR6 is not nearly as short as a true V6. It's shorter than a straight 6 but longer than an I4 so probably about the same as the I5