New 1.5 TFSI engine replacing 1.4 TFSI WK22

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Hi all, just seeing if anyone has any more info. This can be confirmed by going on the coast2coast configurator. I've currently got a A3 S Line on order due to arrive in July/ August and the 1.4 only just scraped under the 110g/km at 109g/km my work have stated as the maximum for my grade. I'm worried now that the new 1.5 that it looks like it will come with will go over this threshold and leave me in a compromising position. I'd appreciate any further info or insight.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I posted this up, must be about a year ago, the 1.5 is to appease the chinese markets, as far as I know. Ford has done something similar.

I posted this up, must be about a year ago, the 1.5 is to appease the chinese markets, as far as I know. Ford has done something similar.
I'm just a bit worried about the emissions. Surely! They must be lower than the 1.4 then? Audi UK have no info yet apparently. Saw this on listers site aswel. The 1.4 has dissapeared. But they show no emissions on these sites.

I would assume the 1.5 being a newer engine will be less emmissions then the outgoing 1.4

I would assume the 1.5 being a newer engine will be less emmissions then the outgoing 1.4
I hope so. I had to sell my 116d as it exceeded the 110g/km threshold and ordered a A3 as it had great emissions and performance.

Reactions: pburv
First I've heard of the 1.5 TFSI so just did some googling. According to this AutoCar article about the Golf engine variant (https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf/first-drives/2017-volkswagen-golf-15-tsi-evo) the headline performance figures are exactly the same as the 1.4 TFSI it is replacing:

Power 148bhp at 5000rpm
Torque 184lb ft 1500rpm

However CO2 is now 116g/km.
Oh god. Do we know what the co2 emissions were on the 1.4 golf? Nice research btw!

Can't you keep quiet about it, wait for the car to arrive as when you ordered it was a 1.4.
Just put an act on like you knew nothing. Surely your company won't sell the car for the sake of 6 grams?

A good pal of mine had a similar problem to this when he changed jobs. Had a car that he was leasing himself for business use and was slightly over the new employers CO2 limit but they waved it to take him on.

Can't you keep quiet about it, wait for the car to arrive as when you ordered it was a 1.4.
Just put an act on like you knew nothing. Surely your company won't sell the car for the sake of 6 grams?
Hi mate... I'm buying it myself and getting a car allowance but they will want to see the v5c for the emissions when it comes. It needs to be under 110g/km they won't wave it as the NEW was 117g/km and I had to get rid of it.

Hi mate... I'm buying it myself and getting a car allowance but they will want to see the v5c for the emissions when it comes. It needs to be under 110g/km they won't wave it as the NEW was 117g/km and I had to get rid of it.

That is a nightmare :( Such a shame as it would be a great car. What about the 1.6TDi emissions wise? I don't think the 1.0T is enough in an A3 (not guessing, haven't driven one... I am a huge fan of the EcoBoost before somebody bites my head off). The 1.4 turbo is a great engine.

Perhaps if this change is accurate, you can find a new 1.4 about to go in the showroom? Or ask the dealer if they have an earlier build slot, they normally do and then adjust the spec.

That is a nightmare :( Such a shame as it would be a great car. What about the 1.6TDi emissions wise? I don't think the 1.0T is enough in an A3 (not guessing, haven't driven one... I am a huge fan of the EcoBoost before somebody bites my head off). The 1.4 turbo is a great engine.

Perhaps if this change is accurate, you can find a new 1.4 about to go in the showroom? Or ask the dealer if they have an earlier build slot, they normally do and then adjust the spec.
I know right! I'll wait for the figures to come out and then I'll have to speak with the dealer but they are pretty much flat out atm with these 1.4s

I know right! I'll wait for the figures to come out and then I'll have to speak with the dealer but they are pretty much flat out atm with these 1.4s

I can believe it, my last car was the 1.4 and they are brilliant engines just like the EcoBoost. It's amazing what these companies are doing with small turbo engine now, diesel MPG on the motorway and very fun on a spirited drive. Definitely more exciting than a diesel. I've driven a few of the 150ps, quick little engine and in the A1 it's rapid.

Reactions: KenL and pburv
I can believe it, my last car was the 1.4 and they are brilliant engines just like the EcoBoost. It's amazing what these companies are doing with small turbo engine now, diesel MPG on the motorway and very fun on a spirited drive. Definitely more exciting than a diesel. I've driven a few of the 150ps, quick little engine and in the A1 it's rapid.
The shame is the new 1.5 is by all accounts even better! It has a new turbo technology on it.

Reactions: pburv and AudiNutta
I would take care with the configurator . When I ordered my 150 ps 1.4 COD from the 2015 brochure it showed 109 g/km emissions but when I received the log book it recorded 112 g/km. I took it up with Audi as I had threatened to reject the car as it was not as ordered, we eventually sorted it out with a very nice apology from Audi UK. I notice that the latest brochure gives very basic and a rather vague range of emissions which I guess protects them but does not help us much with the work situation.

I would take care with the configurator . When I ordered my 150 ps 1.4 COD from the 2015 brochure it showed 109 g/km emissions but when I received the log book it recorded 112 g/km. I took it up with Audi as I had threatened to reject the car as it was not as ordered, we eventually sorted it out with a very nice apology from Audi UK. I notice that the latest brochure gives very basic and a rather vague range of emissions which I guess protects them but does not help us much with the work situation.
What was the situation in the end in regards to the car and work etc?

Promise to plant some trees to offset the difference in carbon footprint...haha

Reactions: TDI-line, dpaz and Mark Anthony
I bought this particular car so not a problem for me other than it was not as advertised and affected the road tax situation, but having been in your position previously, my work would have not been happy. I guess I would have had to stump up the extra for the next band or return it to Audi because it was not as advertised which would have become very messy for me.

Audi UK did admit that the change was not acceptable but the dealer should have informed me of the changes before delivery. I think it was to do with the house cleaning around the VW scandal.
Our fleet dept was on the ball so I suspect I would not have got away with it if it was through them, but the brochure is sufficiently vague that you might want to take the gamble. Personally I would talk to Audi UK to confirm the actual emissions albeit that we are still on the euro 6 engine I think, so not sure they will have changed much. Hope it works out for you.

Promise to plant some trees to offset the difference in carbon footprint...haha

Literally had me laughing out loud, actually a solid argument.

I would think a dealer would have a pre-reg 1.4 TFSi.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Mark Anthony and pburv

1.6 tdi emissions are between 92 and 102 c02 depending on model..:friends:

Reactions: AudiNutta
No way! Its not got enough poke and it's £1500 more expensive!

Wow, didn't think it would have been more expensive haha. The petrol is popular, most on the roads are 1.4's or 2.0TDi.

I've driven the 1.6TDi and it isn't a bad little engine, it is worth driving one if it is the difference between having and not having an A3.

Wow, didn't think it would have been more expensive haha. The petrol is popular, most on the roads are 1.4's or 2.0TDi.

I've driven the 1.6TDi and it isn't a bad little engine, it is worth driving one if it is the difference between having and not having an A3.
That might be the solution that or photoshopping the v5c lol

Lmao, I like it ;) Honestly now you need to go to your dealer and find a build slot before the engine change, there will be one! They can buy orders from other centres even (when you get them on side to help). Otherwise there will be new cars available, in the showroom and alike before people have seen them. If you are that particular on spec, you should be able to get a build slot before Week 22.

The 1.4 TFSI COD 150 engine is definitely being replaced by a 1.5 TFSI COD for the MY18. See my post in the MY16 thread for more details of the MY18 changes.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Mark Anthony
The 1.4 TFSI COD 150 engine is definitely being replaced by a 1.5 TFSI COD for the MY18. See my post in the MY16 thread for more details of the MY18 changes.
Would this affect current orders?

I would assume any car built from week 22 onwards will have the new 1.5 engine rather than the 1.4. The whole production line will be set up for the 1.5 and I don't see Audi producing any more 1.4s even if they already on order. The 1.5 is the new engine being used throughout the VW empire!

CO2 helps trees grow. Diesels produce particulates that poison us humans causing possibly many deaths per year. Yet thanks to the EU CO2 is worse than cancer !

CO2 helps trees grow. Diesels produce particulates that poison us humans causing possibly many deaths per year. Yet thanks to the EU CO2 is worse than cancer !
One of the reasons for Global Warming is the overall increasing in the level of CO2. Diesel engines produce less CO2 than Petrol engines. Diesel engines produce more NOX gas which can be harmful to humans. We could end up with healthier humans but with no planet for them to live on.

Not heard of the 1.5 as I haven't kept up, but it doesn't surprise me that they're upping the capacity. It fits a pattern of changes with small capacity TFSI type engines in the past. I'd be bracing myself for a series of reliability problems with the 1.4 engine as the months and years roll by, and true to form as in the past, VW will refuse to do anything about it.

A little more detail from VW group.

Volkswagen has announced the latest version of its TSI petrol engine range. The brand claims that, thanks to some seriously advanced technology, the new unit will perform more efficiently and deliver more power than the 1.4-litre it replaces.

The new 1.5-litre turbocharged engine (dubbed EA211 TSI evo – for you engine buffs), will feature throughout Volkswagen, SEAT, Skoda and Audi ranges. Power outputs stand at 129hp and 148hp, with other variants following at a later date.

Variable geometry help VW’s new turbo engine (not shown) to produce more power and use less fuelVolkswagen 1.5 TSI – what’s new?

Lots of components which none of us will ever see all help to, in theory, improve performance while reducing fuel consumption and emissions. For example, a cylinder deactivation system shuts down half of the four cylinders when cruising to save fuel. Regardless of the number of cylinders in use, a new internal coating reduces friction, helping the engine run more smoothly.

Volkswagen has fitted the new engine with a variable turbine geometry turbocharger. In simple terms, this turbo can change settings to respond quickly at low speeds then change again to deliver more power when you’re going a bit faster.

A revised cooling system results in better dissipation of heat within the engine, and allows it to reach its optimum temperature more efficiently. This not only helps it perform at its best sooner, but an added bonus is that occupants will notice the car warms up quicker.

Volkswagen 1.5 TSI – advantages

Volkswagen says the result of all of these changes is a 10 per cent increase in fuel efficiency compared to the 1.4 TSI it replaces. Given Volkswagen’s recent history with dubious emissions claims, the brand is keen to stress that these benefits are as applicable in the real world as they are in laboratory tests.

Performance is improved, too. The 1.5-litre TSI produces its maximum torque from a diesel-like 1,300rpm right the way through to beyond 4,000rpm, so drivers won’t have to change gear as often to make progress.

Volkswagen 1.5 TSI – release date

Volkswagen has said the new engine will launch in late 2016. Though it hasn’t declared where we’ll see it yet, the outgoing 1.4 TSI features heavily in the Polo and Golf ranges. We expect the new Tiguan crossover to benefit too.

Hi all, just seeing if anyone has any more info. This can be confirmed by going on the coast2coast configurator. I've currently got a A3 S Line on order due to arrive in July/ August and the 1.4 only just scraped under the 110g/km at 109g/km my work have stated as the maximum for my grade. I'm worried now that the new 1.5 that it looks like it will come with will go over this threshold and leave me in a compromising position. I'd appreciate any further info or insight.

Hi

When did you order?

I ordered an A3 Sline sportback 3 weeks ago. I dont have any idea of the delivery date but Im also interested if I'll get the 1.4 COD or the new 1.5 my gut feel is it will be the 1.5.

Last thing I heard from Audi Bolton is they are waiting for my order configuration to be accepted.

Hi

When did you order?

I ordered an A3 Sline sportback 3 weeks ago. I dont have any idea of the delivery date but Im also interested if I'll get the 1.4 COD or the new 1.5 my gut feel is it will be the 1.5.

Last thing I heard from Audi Bolton is they are waiting for my order configuration to be accepted.
It will be a 1.5 if it's built after week 22. It sucks for me.

Phew. looks like I ordered my 1.4 TFSI in time. The only way I got this was due to the emissions being under 115g/km and my company stump up an extra grand. If I waited and ordered the 1.5 TFSI then it is 118 g/km and they would have reduced my allowance by a grand and that would have meant no virtual cockpit or dropping the B&O

I just wonder if a 1.5TFSI actually turns up and how they will react to that and whether they ask me for another grand. I think I will be telling them to go forth and multiply as it was not my fault. I doubt that they would return it.

Last edited:
I can't work out the Audi thinking on the 1.5 TFSI engine and the company car BIK and CO2? Most car manufacturers are bringing down the overall CO2 for cars which in turn brings down the tax liability for the driver.

So....
The outgoing 1.4TFSI engine on the S- Line saloon manual was 111gm CO2
The incoming 1.5 TFSI engine on the same model is 118gm CO2

Also the car is c £2k more expensive!

Both engines have about the same BHP & MPG ( but we know the latter is a lie anyway)

Anybody know?

Maybe they are thinking the rest of the world and not the 'smaller' uk market?

That's what I thought re the company car element.....but with CO2 gm going up on a new engine?? Isn't the drive for car manufacturers to bring the CO2 element down globally?!