never knew about this...shame though

Interesting - the TT would have had a different reputation completely if this went into production.

From my perspective I would imagine the car would deter sales away from the RS4 / RS6, something that Audi would not want as the TT was aimed at a different buyer.

I would also imagine the weight of the V6 up front would cause different handling characteristics compared to the 1.8T.

That would have been a beast,not sure it would have sold as many as the 1.8t,the S3 should have had that or at least six pots I think/wished

Reactions: ShaunS3
Great find OP and very interesting....

Love the fact "Audi was able to completely utilize the RS 4’s drivetrain for the project, opening up a power potential of 380-400 hp while utilizing the well-developed torsen-based quattro system."

What's not to love about that TT.

That would have been a beast,not sure it would have sold as many as the 1.8t,the S3 should have had that or at least six pots I think/wished

Totally agree Voorhees, although I still think the 1.8t is still very good in the 8L S3....

Definitely think Audi missed a trick as they should have chucked the 2.7t V6 into a 8L RS3 and started the RS3 back in the 8l days, along with some decent brakes to go with it :)

I'm pretty sure they would have shifted a limited run of say 300 or so and given the TT and S3 a different light from petrol heads 'if' they went through with the production some 15 odd years ago.

TBH im a bit gutted they didnt stick with the turbo motor for all RS cars..especially the B7. really wanted one, drove a few but the v8's lame IMHO. so maybe the answer to retro fit the v6 turbo or the new 5 pot rs3 motor!