Never again.

TFSI

Born to Fish
Reaction score
I have been driving since I was 18 for cars and 24 for trucks, I have never broken down and I am now 61.
I live on Anglesey and travelling back to Cheshire today for my daughters 30th Birthday I have been driving for 30 minutes and at 70 MPH on the A55 it starts missing, kicking and juddering, the dash shows a yellow engine warning light and a EPC light.
I pull off and limp back home.
This is a 1.4 TFSI in a 8V Sline A3 with 12'170 miles under its belt.
Daughters birthday meal, visit family, visit friends all out of the window.
Won't be having another Audi after that experience, time to look elsewhere. German Junk.

Don't hold back will you

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: JimmyMcGee, BD55SOL, TFSI and 4 others
Sorry to hear that, must’ve been a right pain.
Although I wouldn’t write off a brand based on one bad experience myself. Easy for me to say though and I understand your frustration.

Reactions: Reggieboy71, Ron240, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
OP,

I'm a 73 year old guy and have been into the car thing since returning from Vietnam serving in the Army back in 1963-1966.
Changing to another brand buddy does not actually insure that something cannot and will not happen I promise you.'
I have had so many different brands of vehicles over all the years and all of them can and do have issues.
And it's really not based on how costly the given vehicle is.

Good-Luck with your next choice. :thumbs up:

Terry

Reactions: Jcbmally, RS3 S., MikeParkin and 1 other person
Can see why you would be annoyed but seems a bit drastic not buying another Audi ... the same experience will have happened for people in every car model made...

Did 200 miles yesterday with no issues ... as it sounds like you have for the past 40 years...

Reactions: Pook, Audi Bairn, Ron240 and 1 other person
Bit drastic!! I'm sure you will cool down and continue to love your A3.

Reactions: Pook, Audi Bairn and Ron240
Yeah definitely a bit drastic from one issue ... just bad timing with it being a birthday.

Any car can break down.

Reactions: NevMan, Pook, Audi Bairn and 2 others
I have been driving since I was 18 for cars and 24 for trucks, I have never broken down and I am now 61.
I live on Anglesey and travelling back to Cheshire today for my daughters 30th Birthday I have been driving for 30 minutes and at 70 MPH on the A55 it starts missing, kicking and juddering, the dash shows a yellow engine warning light and a EPC light.
Won't be having another Audi after that experience, time to look elsewhere. German Junk.
Boohoo You can’t blame 1 bad car experience and tarnish a whole brand because of it . Bet it’s happened to someone else with every car manafacturer going today . There isn’t one car brand that doesn’t have issues.

Reactions: Pook, Audi Bairn and Ron240
Years back when money was tight i.e. Mortgage, young kids and other financial burdens we ran Astra, 5 of them which covered approximately 100,000 miles with not one issue. Later in life when finances improve we thought let's get a more prestige car.
This is my 4th Audi from new and in total they covered approximately 55,000 miles, the first went back 4 times for an issue with a 02 sensor before Audi Stoke finally replaced it. The second had a cracked sump from new and dribbled oil onto my new block paving for weeks before Audi Crewe sorted it, Sump replaced because of a crack in the flange from new. The third had a new seat mechanism on the passenger side because it would not return to its original position. The fourth is this one which had behaved well to this high mileage of 12000 so prestige is not that brilliant, All I want is a trouble free low mileage car and Audi are not to good at them in the 15 years I have been running new A3's
Dunno where we go from here but with the low mileage I've covered I'm a little fed up with them.

Reactions: Mikeso51
Well I covered over 23,000 miles in an S3 (same platform as the A3) and had 0 issues apart from a thermostat which was replaced under warranty. Sure many others on the forum can attest to this.
Sounds like you might have a negative bias and looking for issues

Got to have some sympathy.
I drove 2 SAABs for 25 years they never missed a beat. Bought a new Jaguar in 2008 it left me stranded on the hard shoulder twice in 3years despite being main dealer serviced. First Failed clutch and second leaking coolant. That was enough to make me decide never to buy a Jag again.

Well I covered over 23,000 miles in an S3 (same platform as the A3) and had 0 issues apart from a thermostat which was replaced under warranty. Sure many others on the forum can attest to this.
Sounds like you might have a negative bias and looking for issues

No issue, well built, no squeaks, no rattles, nice to look at, good materials, nice but a tad boring to drive. Just a little bit miffed that when I wanted to get somewhere it let me down.........Big Style.

No issue, well built, no squeaks, no rattles, nice to look at, good materials, nice but a tad boring to drive. Just a little bit miffed that when I wanted to get somewhere it let me down.........Big Style.

Haven't you got Audi recovery/assistance? Won't they take you to your destination if you break down?

Haven't you got Audi recovery/assistance? Won't they take you to your destination if you break down?
It's 5 years old and out of warranty, I do have breakdown and recovery but own dogs who were with me at the time so priority was to get back home quick. Well 40 MPH quick anyway Been to my local garage whom I trust and he read (Random misfire on cylinders 1 & 2) but reckons coil packs don't fail in twos so most probably a sensor issue somewhere, goes in on Wednesday so will let you know the outcome. A mate is coming around tomorrow to read the faults logged as I only got the yellow engine symbol on going to the garage and then the EPC again when I returned home.

It's 5 years old and out of warranty
5 years old and only done 12000 miles? :openmouth:
And I thought I done a very low annual mileage at less than 5k. :D

Reactions: NevMan, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Huge rant mate....all been there....hey **** happens.....and hopefully yer mood will diminish....Ps Take yer bad mood oot on the DUGS....lol

Reactions: NevMan, Janice_3S3 and Ron240
OP,

I'm a 73 year old guy and have been into the car thing since returning from Vietnam serving in the Army back in 1963-1966.
Changing to another brand buddy does not actually insure that something cannot and will not happen I promise you.'
I have had so many different brands of vehicles over all the years and all of them can and do have issues.
And it's really not based on how costly the given vehicle is.

Good-Luck with your next choice. :thumbs up:

Terry

Show AFF....

Reactions: NevMan
Dont want to antagonise but the story seems a bit odd to me. You were going for an important trip out to visit friends and family but when you get a misfire the priority was to get home quickly because of your dogs?

Dont want to antagonise but the story seems a bit odd to me. You were going for an important trip out to visit friends and family but when you get a misfire the priority was to get home quickly because of your dogs?

Makes sense the dogs where in the car.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
5 years old and only done 12000 miles? :openmouth:
And I thought I done a very low annual mileage at less than 5k. :D

Try living on Anglesey and you don't travel far for stunning locations, I couldn't get out of England quick enough when I retired.
The trips back to Cheshire are shared with my wife's Range Rover hence the low mileage.

My dogs are third on my list, 1st is my wife who was already in Cheshire, 2nd is my daughters who live over there in Cheshire, 3rd is my dogs

Reactions: NevMan, Bristle Hound and KenL
I can understand your frustration, Audi are refusing to fix my faulty folding mirror issue even though they have evidence of it failing from a video I took and from a member of staff.
So not at all impressed with Audi customer service, I know if I had the same problem with my previous VWs is would have been fixed with no issues.
Such a small problem but more than likely to make me move back to VW after my first Audi.
Maybe just a dealer issue but unfortunately in NI we have no choice as there is only one.

It's a lottery. Breakdowns happen in both new and older cars. I had a new VW Touran that needed under warranty, radio, drivers seat mechanism, headlamp unit, a sensor [cannot remember which one], ecu, dual mass flywheel and clutch, interior door trim, and then nothing for the next 8 years. I hated it and then loved it. the best family car I have owned.
As regards no breakdown recovery, why? Things do go wrong so pay for piece of mind. Green flag for me. Even though my A3 is new I have cover with them through the Caravan and Motorhome Club as they cover the caravan as a separate unit.

Colin

It's a lottery. Breakdowns happen in both new and older cars. I had a new VW Touran that needed under warranty, radio, drivers seat mechanism, headlamp unit, a sensor [cannot remember which one], ecu, dual mass flywheel and clutch, interior door trim, and then nothing for the next 8 years. I hated it and then loved it. the best family car I have owned.
As regards no breakdown recovery, why? Things do go wrong so pay for piece of mind. Green flag for me. Even though my A3 is new I have cover with them through the Caravan and Motorhome Club as they cover the caravan as a separate unit.

Colin
I do have breakdown recovery cover with green flag like you, but if the car still drives I'd rather get back home with two dogs in the back. Maybe after this it will behave well and I end up keeping it, like I said before it looks good it's well made and if I could keep it another 5 years it will save me a fortune on buying another vehicle.
I like Audi else I wouldn't of run them for 15 years but maybe a change is as good as a rest.

It’s a mechanical machine and things break / malfunction with them, some more than other brands.

It’s a mass produced vehicle.

Complete over reaction in my opinion.

Reactions: davc and GeoffT
It’s salty welsh air...

Reactions: Jassyo06

Should have gone fishing :sob:

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally and Jassyo06
What are you going to buy in replacement a push bike? Over the years of driving up and down the motorways I've seen every brand of car on the hard shoulder from Jap to German, it's a car with lots of moving parts, they break and it's why you see a **** load of RAC, Green flag and AA vans on the road.

Reactions: Goner and Sandra

Unfortunately any car, no matter what the manufacturer, can break down. You'd not expect a new modern car to break down or have a fault, but occasionally they do. The more Tech and electronics cars have these days, there is a chance that they'll glitch every now & then.

It's annoying when it happens, and it's clearly ruined your plans for the day. But it's not the end of the world. No ones hurt. I'm sure whatever the fault was, will get rectified. Could have happened to a Ford, Honda, or even a £1m supercar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra
Between my wife and I we've had four Vauxhalls and four Audis. Amount of Vauxhalls that have gone wrong = four, amount of Audis that have gone wrong = zero. Doesn't make Audi better than Vauxhall or vice versa, just luck...

Reactions: NevMan and Jcbmally

I'm curious what brand of car you will buy that has a zero per cent breakdown record.

Wish I had my 1968 Ford Anglia back :thumbs up::thumbs up: Now that was a car :thumbs up::thumbs up: still my favourite as it was my first :blahblah1:
Number 2 coil pack faulty, swapped them over today and the fault went to 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2 replaced the wrong one first and then replaced the right one, runs OK now but still doing 2 laps of the island tomorrow to make sure it behaves, darent take the sodding thing to far away from home !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn
One breakdown in 40 years.....you got Wednesdays lottery numbers?

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan and Goner

I’m furious at Brexit, so I am! Grrrrrr (fist shaking) them ****** Krauts shoving their junk down my throat. So glad to see the back of um so I am! Can’t wait to have back my Rover 25! Grrrrr!

This must be a windup account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Damo S
I'm curious what brand of car you will buy that has a zero per cent breakdown record.

I once had a sky blue coloured 1.6 cavalier which I bought for 295 quid which had 177,000 miles on the clock that simply refused to die. I tried to kill it, I really did, but it never let me down not once in the whole year I had it. But this is typical of cars in my experience. The **** ones I hate never went wrong, whereas the ones I liked / loved the most went wrong all the time and cost me a fortune.

If you want reliable then buy a basic japanese made learner car.

Reactions: RAF_S7