nerw baby arrived

squigly

Reaction score
Website
sasha.dolgy.com
so i picked up the s3 last night. had so much fun through all the round abouts. so much fun. special driving shoes sit in the boot just for it...

Excellent! I want my S3 now!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Make sure it all clean and shiny for santa pod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

heh. why should it be clean. with all the bugs i'll be hitting on the way up there it will be wasted effort. that and all my cleaning stuff is still back home -- waiting to have it all shipped over so i can make it sparkling and beautiful.

Tell us a bit about your new toy the matey...

Congrats matey, this is just the beginning of many happy times together !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Hey !! There aint no such thing as a PLAIN S3 !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif Have some respect man ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Good point ! Haa the strut brace been removed ?? Looks like it has been done so for that alarm pin switch !
OMG !! .... get one back on ASAP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Looks like a tidy motor you have there!, wasnt sure if all years of S3 came with strut braces? didnt want my feedback to be all negative!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

All the S3's came with a strut brace as standard. Why yours seems to be missing is a bit strange. Are there 3 studs on each strut tower?? Take a pic of the tower and we should be able to see if it has had one fitted previously.

cheers

I agree with Mo, get the strut-brace re-fitted..... the yellow area`s are where the brace should be fitted with 3 bolts etc
Also is the blue area the alarm switch for the bonnet, if so it looks very close to the DV, make sure nothing has been trapped or removed to fit the device their.
Lastly the red area (heat foil) seems to be wrongly fitted too...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Here's a pic of my A3 with the S3 strut bar. I HAVE seen pics of older S3's without it.

33027-Clean%20Engine.jpg

Part number I ordered was 8L9-805-629-A and IIRC it cost around 60 Euros.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Mikey, r u sure u didnt 'aquire' that from someones S3?? Possibly someone who is missing one now ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Oh and do u not think that the bolts should be a wee bit shorter Mike?? Just look a bit dangerously long to me.

Nope, not acquired, had to use my (not-so) hard earned cash for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

As for the bolts, they were the better safe than sorry approach. One of these days I'm gonna go down and get some shorter Stainless Bolts to replace them with. The Bauhaus has some nice black ones which won't be so obvious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Good idea with the stainless bolts, at least they wont corrode and cause problems later. I think the black ones might look good but again possibly corrode in time.

Nah Dude, they're Black Stainless bolts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif So 2 birds with one....whatever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Kinda expensive but it's my car, so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Well, you see, the Frau keeps commenting on how much money we've put into the car, but when I want to put MORE money into it, I just say that if I don't, then all the other money would go to waste..... right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

best place i can get this from? i emailed a few companies but no one likes to email/call back. why is it so difficult to spend money?

also, how hard is it to put on? -- anyone care to help? free dinner in it for you -- and is this something i should be telling the insurance company?

Giev martyn a call back...

Wont need to tell insurance because its original equipment

Martyn at VAG parts will sort u out with one no problem, and they aint even expensive at all.

Ur welcome to drive up to manchester mate !! Probably cost u more in fuel !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Squigly, if you can drill a straight hole, and know how to change your tires, this'll be no problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I took pics when installing mine, pardon the cross post but take a gander Here IIRC it's pages 2-4.

straight hole? heh. i'm not sure. change my tires? hope i never have to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif that's what road side assistance is for and auto shops.