Neru's A3 Frankenturbo F23 Build

Lol i passed the message and criticism to my mechanic, his like engine is balanced and he told me run it for a week and see

if they will cover it then what have you got to loose apart from having to wait 4weeks + for your motor to get rebuilt lol

Grease in a gearbox? Really? Sounds like a great "mechanic" with his insistence on the pulley too.

Lol i passed the message and criticism to my mechanic, his like engine is balanced and he told me run it for a week and see

You are the actual customer right? as the customer if you tell the person you are paying to do the work you don't want to run that pulley then they should just remove it as asked...

There is enough supporting evidence to support the requirement for a damped pulley even on a balanced engine... balancing didn't save this fully balanced highly spec'd race engine...
DSC04009.JPG

Sorry to say but TELL the mechanic to do one and refit the damped pulley

<tuffty/>

The old saying "do it right, do it once" comes to mind. :)

take the pulley off dude. tell your mechanic that if he's so interested he can run it on his engine.

Why even chance it for a week or two at the start? you'll be running the engine in / mapping, so won't be able to see it's full effects / gains or whatever it's meant to do, then if you open it up to test it, you're running the risk of the above failure.

I wouldn't even run it up with that pulley installed dude. Not worth the risk.

Reactions: MIGGZ
If you leave it on and it doesn't damage anything, then you can tell a lot of people I told you so :haha:

but

if it does damage your engine you going to have a lot of people telling you so :haha:

One of the main reasons I joined the forum was for the experience and advice of other like minded enthusiasts and there are a lot of knowledgeable people saying change that pulley, or it is at your own peril! Your choice buddy, but i'd already have my toolbox out!

Enjoying the build so far :thumbsup:

I thought I would let you guys know that you guys are so convincing that I put the oem damper back on

Not much happening this week, will get more done next week

Reactions: superkarl and <tuffty/>
Bit of update, connecting all the piping and electrics hope to get the car jn the road soon

Followed prawn and bought some motul 300 gearbox fluid ($45 a litre farrrk)

Uploadfromtaptalk1373353987508

so long time no update, at the moment intercooler is on and pipes are being fitted

further parts to fit

HEL braided brake lines

Mocal oil cooler, sandwich plate with thermostat

Ground control camber and castor plates, (still not 100% sure if there right for mine)

034 surge tank

on order

Fluidampr
230442 10150274706119992 4517847 n

TFSI coils
247428 10150303915074992 6643999 n

I'm going overseas for three months as on a internship, so going to be broke for a while however I'm hoping the car will be done by the time i get back

can a misfire, say 2 cylinders, damage the damped pulley and reduce its effectiveness? i.e. do they suffer wear and tear?

can a misfire, say 2 cylinders, damage the damped pulley and reduce its effectiveness? i.e. do they suffer wear and tear?

I've been told that these ones don't suffer from wear and tear

been in China for work and only returned recently, made slow progress on the car

how it looks today, should be ready to start after piping is done

Reactions: schwartza3