Needing info... Driveshafts

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
OK - Apparently, the clunking and banging is my CV joints....

A possibility I concur.

So.... Having looked into CV joint costs, I have 1 inner which I think is shot, and 1 outer I know is shot. Meaning 2 CV joints. So the parts are going to be up towards £100.

I have also found somewhere that is willing to offload 2 complete low mileage (38,000) driveshafts from a 2000 TT for good money. This seems like a better deal to me in all.

Question is, will they fit the S3 Quattro?

I would look on ETKA - but it appears to be busted. :(

my spider senses say yes (because theyre one and the same car but i recommend you completely ignore me though as i really dont know

my spider senses say yes (because theyre one and the same car but i recommend you completely ignore me though as i really dont know

I'm inclined to agree - how can the Quattro system be that different between the two cars. I would guess the TQS has the same ones as well.

Worst comes to the worst, I can just have the 4 low mileage CVs and fit them to my shafts! lol.

Been searching the web for ages now and can't find any ****** part numbers for either.

Dammit, I wish VAG CAT was working....

Me thinks I'm going to phone the Audi Crime Organisation and try to get the required data from them....

Hopefully they should know. Well, their computer should....

cvs are pretty hardy in my experience but then i do have superior VW Golfs ;)

i took one CV off at 210k miles and it was prestine after a clean. no play at all. regreased it and put it back on :D

cvs are pretty hardy in my experience but then i do have superior VW Golfs ;)

i took one CV off at 210k miles and it was prestine after a clean. no play at all. regreased it and put it back on :D

Whilst I agree, the one that has issues on the NSF Inner I have replaced once. Sadly, I didn't know at the time that they are prone to falling apart. Which it did. Not 100% sure I put it back together right, although it seemed to work OK at the time.

The OSF Outer has had a split gaiter since forever and I've just been FAR too lazy to change it. It was one of those 'I'll do it next weekend' jobs.

Anyway, knocking is getting bad now, really makes one HELL of a din when you boot it in first and second, dunk-dunk-dunk-dunk. Makes a snapping sound when on full lock right hand down. Knocks when stopping or pulling off.

I have checked literally EVERYTHING else now and it's all good. That's all that's left.

Should of done them when the engine was out.

Give GSF in Cheltenham a call mate, they should be able to tell you... the S3 ones I know are larger than the 5 speed Ibiza's as Bill stocks gaiters etc for those... Might be a difference between 5-speed and 6-speed boxes?

TT ones should fit, VAGS share a ***** load of components across the marques, even the 'superior VW Golf' ;P

<tuffty/>

gsf and cv joints... they sell gkn. they are lovely stuff

i would just fit new joints personally, at least you know its all solid then. Would also hazard a guess on the shafts being the same, but saying that wouldnt be surprised if there was the tiniest difference

yep me too, fitting new isnt going to be massively more expensive and will offer entire peace of mind....or just buy a used golf set, surely you'll be able to buy a whole golf for roughly the same money :)

surely you'll be able to buy a whole golf for roughly the same money :)

:lmfao:

I can get the 2 complete shafts with 4 CV joints for LESS than £80. £80 is the cost of the inner joint and the outer joint I will need - assuming the others are OK.

I'm going with the cast offs.

Hoping they hold out for the 300 mile round trip to AITP. Best take it steady me thinks.

Still, I'll be there if I have to come on the back of an RAC low loader!

OMG what a colour clash that will be!! orange RAC and Yellow S3....... that is soooo last season!!

OMG what a colour clash that will be!! orange RAC and Yellow S3....... that is soooo last season!!

I think that would be wicked!! lol.

Also, there would be the orange-ish colour of the flames coming from the S3 after the petrol bomb had been inserted....

coooooooool!!!

although must admit i think the AA/S3 combo would be better suited.......

although must admit i think the AA/S3 combo would be better suited.......

I am not changing breakdown services simply for that!! What do you think I am!? LOL

(Quietly gets RAC card out to phone them and cancel......)

haha, ive just joined RAC too mate so best stay with them (staff discount ;) )...the AA is so 1950's!!!

Well, the best I've managed is to figure that the part numbers for the inner and outer CV joints are the same on the S3 & TT.

Fingers crossed in which case. I shall be getting me some shafts!! Whoop.