Need to replace rear right bulb?

daver555

Reaction score
Got a warning come up on the DIS this morning. Bought bulb kit and had a look in the boot and it doesn't look like a 2 minute job with no tools required like my old car! Is it a difficult job to do as it certainly looks it after a quick gander in there!?!

Sportback or three dr?? Although either is a five minute job I think. Sportback there is a plastic cover inside the boot, remove this and a long plastic nut is visible. Undo and remove this and the lens slots out. The bulb holder can then be removed.

Reactions: Adam P
Remove the plastic cap from inside the boot, get your screw driver from you spare wheel well, unscrew the plastic screw, and gently remove the light cluster from the outside, un clip the bulb holder, remove your faulty bulb, replace with your new bulb and put it all back together!

I recently had to do this on my SB and have a couple of tips for you

a) I found one of the plastic nuts was very tight and the screwdriver started to cut into it, so I ended up using a socket around the nut (I think it was a 13 or maybe 12 mm). The nuts are long and as they loosen off they fall down allowing the socket and nut to pass through the gap but keep a hold of it incase it drops down.

b) Also make sure you check the rubber grommits that the cluster clips onto, are clean and seated correctly, and the seal onto the hole where the screw goes through are clean. In fact clean the whole underside of the cluster and the body where the cluster sits, otherwise you might get a water leak into the boot. I got a leak and had to take it all out again and clean it properly!

Use a 13mm socket rather than screwdriver. If you've never changed the bulb before the plastic but is probably quite tight, a screwdriver will wreck it

so, I've undone the plastic bolt from the inside of the boot which was easy enough. however, it seems to still be held in place at the front of the light cluster (close to the petrol cap)! What am I missing?

Yeah, it's held in by two lugs that the lens pulls out of. Just wiggle the lens and it will come free but be careful not to crack it!!

If you can grip the front end of the light, pull it away from the car body.

If just takes a lot of wiggling!

All sorted. The light unit is held in place at the front (near the petrol cap) by 2 bullet shaped locator pins. I used a long handled screwdriver and a twisting action to release the top pin and the unit came out nice and easy. Thanks to all who helped out here. That saved me 1hrs labour at my local Colbournes Audi Stealer (sorry) I mean Dealer lol.

can't believe people take there cars to dealers to change bulbs when they are that easy lol 2 min job once you have done it once you know exactly how to do it every time

Yeah I know. Whilst at work yesterday I had a quick look and couldn't figure it out at all and with no tools to hand I phoned up (more out of interest) to see how much my local dealer would charge to sort it lol. "We would have to charge 1 hrs labour sir as we don't charge less than 1hr. This would also include a diagnostic health check and free winter fluids check". I politely declined lol. Needless to say now I've figured it out it really is a 5 minute job.

I just bought a 2008 S3 and thought the OS Reversing bulb had blown... Just found there is only one on the NS.. someone previous had attempted to remove the OSR light cluster and had not clipped the bulb holder back in correctly by aligning the metal clips into the outer plastic unit and one clip was bust. Check you align the bulb holder back in correctly before screwing that plastic retaining nut up tight.

Well, after successfully replacing the blown bulb all was ok until this mornings commute! Almost at journeys end (40min drive) when the warning alarm goes off on the DIS! Yep, you've guessed it the same bulb just blew on me! Going to get some electrical grease and try again tonight. Is this a known problem/weak spot and if so are there any fixes?