Need to Make My B5 ULEZ Compliant

Mr Mohammed Janjua

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Everyone, I bought a 2001 (X Reg) B5 A4 Sport 1.8T Quattro 180 BHP. I bought It thinking I will be able to make it ULEZ Compliant by sending the Certificate of Conformity that has all the emissions data on there to TFL.

The issue is TFL said it is not compliant, which I am sure is wrong.

This is because I know of people who have managed to make there 1996 BMW 3 Series E36 compliant. Also because there are the very last B5 A4s that were registered towards the end of 2001, March onwards are complaint. Reg Number Y152 GWV a B5 SE 1.8 non Turbo is Complaint.

How can the 1.8 non turbo be compliant but the 1.8T not be compliant? It makes no sense.

I think it might be because Audi don't list the Nox separately on the Certificate. They list it together with the Total Hydrocarbons.

The RS4 B5s that were registered March onwards are also compliant. Surely the RS4 can't emit less Nox then the 1.8T?

Is there any way you can help, or is there anyone who knows how to find what the Nox Figure is without Total Hydrocarbons?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there's a way round this, ULEZ, CAZ and all the other hideous clean air ideas don't/aren't there for the making things more 'green'.

180bhp b5 A4 - 188G/km - NOT ULEZ COMPLIANT (regardless of year)
400+bhp b7 RS4 - 324G/km - ULEZ COMPLIANT

The rs4 kicks out almost double the old b5 yet the less polluting car gets penalised?

how???

As much as it should be all about emissions and not the age of vehicles, unfortunately the powers above have a few brain cells missing......and if you try and call someone to explain the above you'll be lucky they even understand emissions. Or you'll get ' sorry sir, i totally understand but there's nothing we can do' .

Feel for you mate, we've had CAZ postponed up north because there was mass uproar.

You’d need to make sure your car is Euro 4 compliant which has its own specs to meet. It’s not the CO2 emitted but other parameters that you’d need to meet before you get your car retested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk