Need some urgent advice regarding oil/level/dipstick/Diesel

j4g3d

Reaction score
So yesterday my 4.2 TDI 326HP flashed "MIN OIL" on my dash.

I drove about 40 mins to my friends house. Upon arriving i checked the oil and i couldn't get a reading, the oil seemed either non existent or extremely light in colour.

I let it sit for a good 30 mins and read it again. It showed just about around the MIN mark but this time a more darker colour.

At 2am i was hunting places to buy castrol 5w30 oil for this engine, eventually found a tesco and i topped up just under half a lite of oil.

I read the dipstick and it seemed fine.

I drove home about 27 miles and everything seemed fine.

This was yesterday, so the car has been sitting all night and all day today, its stone cold.. I checked the oil level and on one side of the dipstick its showing the oil at the MIN mark and on the OTHER SIDE of the dipstick its showing the oil at the MIN mark BONE dry in the middle reading area (between MIN and MAX) and about 10mm to 15mm above the max mark.

Please see pictures coming in a second..

Advice???

Is this a bad/known dipstick issue or have i overfilled?. If i have why is one side showing MIN mark .

Would the car not warn if overfilled?

The car takes about 8 lites of oil when servicing, so i thought half a litre would be ok. Why on earth is is dry in the middle of the MIN>MAX reading? how is that even possible?

Pics below, red boxes indicate noticable oil, the parts not marked in red are bone dry.

WuWtjKQ.jpg
KidFOJ8.jpg

Must have loads of oil around the tube. Put it in and out a few times, cleaning it off each time