Need some help with my spring detail.

Lavis89

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm a bit new to the whole detailing thing, this year i started with some G3 (by hand) then polished with autoglym super resin polish then waxed over that with dodo juice hard candy and got some alright results. I got a Dodo juice DA polisher for Christmas though so looking at going a bit more "balls out" when it comes to my start of the year detail this year. Pretty sure my parents are expecting me to do their cars afterwards as well...
The car is a a3 8l with dolphin grey metallic paint, 1 side of the car + the front bumper has had a recent and very good paint job so the paint is pretty flawless, the rest is showing its age with chips here and there, so not wanting to spend £100s on products, can only polish a **** so much ;)

anyone got any recommendations for procedure/products? this is my rough plan so far

Wash (2 bucket)
Decontaminate/Clay
Polish (DA friendly compounds anyone?)
Glaze
Seal/Wax

Some people have said to wax over sealant, others have said its one or the other, any opinions on this?

I'm as new to the detailing as you are, but from what I've read those that use a sealant and then top with a wax do it for aesthetic purposes. I asked the guys at AutoFinesse about their Desire wax and Tough Coat sealant and they advised that purely from a protection point of view there is no benefit to using both as they both offer similar levels of durability. However, Desire over Tough Coat will provide a beautiful finish from an aesthetic viewpoint. At the moment, the wife's car has just Desire but when my new A3 arrives, it will be receiving the Desire and Tough Coat treatment.

Wash with a wax stripper (G3 detox)

Clay

Wash again, dry

I have used the meguires compounds and had good results: started with - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polish-compounds/meguiars-105-ultra-cut-compound-8oz/prod_822.html

Followed by: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-p...-205-ultra-finishing-polish-8oz/prod_823.html

Then you want to IPA wipe down the car

Glaze i would use either poorboys black hole (iv had good results before) next time i am going to be using CG Gloss workz after reading reviews: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/glazes/chemical-guys-glossworkz-glaze/prod_850.html

TBH after all that, you could apply the cheapest of wax/sealant and aslong as it looks good prior to application you will be fine. Rule of thumb is wax will give you a nice water bead, warmth and depth to the paint work. Sealant will give you water sheeting, glass like clarity and will usually last slightly longer than a wax.

As above there isnt really any need to apply a sealant and then a wax.

Personally i have used http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/victoria-wax/victoria-wax-3oz-concours-wax/prod_312.html with good results.

Where abouts are you? If your local to me your more than welcome to sample some of the products i have to give you an idea of which works best.

I aint no detailing guru, but from my past experience the above worked a treat :)

Jonny.

The above wax and glaze are recommended to use with dark paints, i used on my phantom black so would guess they will work well with Dolphin Grey

I'm a bit new to the whole detailing thing, this year i started with some G3 (by hand) then polished with autoglym super resin polish then waxed over that with dodo juice hard candy and got some alright results. I got a Dodo juice DA polisher for Christmas though so looking at going a bit more "balls out" when it comes to my start of the year detail this year. Pretty sure my parents are expecting me to do their cars afterwards as well...
The car is a a3 8l with dolphin grey metallic paint, 1 side of the car + the front bumper has had a recent and very good paint job so the paint is pretty flawless, the rest is showing its age with chips here and there, so not wanting to spend £100s on products, can only polish a **** so much ;)

anyone got any recommendations for procedure/products? this is my rough plan so far

Wash (2 bucket)
Decontaminate/Clay
Polish (DA friendly compounds anyone?)
Glaze
Seal/Wax

Some people have said to wax over sealant, others have said its one or the other, any opinions on this?
If you dare, have a look on here -
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/

Don't blame me if it drains your bank account tho' :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: mancdan
going to be ordering some bits and pieces in the new year, there's a big southwest meet in February(ish) so weather depending leading up to it that will be my big detail for the start of the year. I had good results last year buffing off some fine scratches with meguiars g3 by hand so will give their products a go for sure. And a lot of people have mentioned poor boys black hole so will definitely be giving that a shot.

Scholl Concepts for compounds / polishes

Coupled with CG Hex pads will do a great job!!

Meguiars Ultimate Compound is very good by hand as is Gtechniq P1

Cool, you can get 1L on ebay for £7 delivered.
What do you apply it with so it doesnt dissolve your moms yellow cloths? :p
Dave

Can't really go wrong with megs 105 and 205 polish with hex logic pads.
Just remember u won't be able to polish out stonechips, these will have to be filled.
Dependant on the outcome is go for a glaze ie prima amigo or another applied with the Das.
Then a few coats of a decent wax.
Wax tends to be more forgiving with imperfections on the paint where as sealants show everything.

Why use super resin polish? Its abrasive but will leave a bit of a silicon layer which isn't helpful for any wax you want to apply. If it needs polishing, use a polish then add a wax. Its unlikely any wax will stay on the car after the first wash (if it stays on at all).

because i knew almost nothing about properly cleaning the car when i used SRP, i've come on a long way since then!
I ordered a selection of chem guys hex pads, meg 105 & 205 polish, meg quick clay kit, poorboys blackhole glaze and going to continue using the dodo juice hard candy wax. should all be arriving over the next few weekends and got a big meet at the end of the month so will crack on and post up my results!