Need some help with Elsawin

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have it installed ok (it's a trial version right now until I get it sorted). I have selected the vehicle type but then what do I do now? Am I being a bit thick? Isn't the data supposed to appear once you click ok?

Thanks in advance

how have you logged on? You need to create a user and log on with that, if you log in with admin it doesnt seem to work properly, says you still need more info.

No I am a user and can log in no probs. I click on the select vehicle type button. I select the vehicle ok. Then click ok. On the bottom is states the vehicle I have just chosen but that's all it does.

I've had to install the audi data by saving the contents of the discs to my HD then run the setup from there. Not sure if that means anything.

wouldn't have thought that would be a problem. Is it possible that your car is too new for the current software you have? If I click on 2008, the only option of model I get is R8 or A5. 2007 seems to work ok.

I am just selecting 2008 S3. Not by chassis number. I have just tried 2006 A3 but still the same happens.

Urm I had similar issue where I didnt even have any data & I had installed it properly, so be happy to know how you fix, I have got a newer 3.5 now so will try that

Urm I had similar issue where I didnt even have any data & I had installed it properly, so be happy to know how you fix, I have got a newer 3.5 now so will try that

I'm using 3.5 also.

When I installed the data I just had to put it into a folder and run the set up from there. It seems to me that there is a missing link in between the Elsa and the data.

Can I just confirm that all you do is select the car you want, click ok, and then the data sheets should just open?

You do need to select the model including engine and gearbox type.

Paul

Yeah done that too. But what happens next?

Assuming you have logged in with a username and password setup up in the Elsawin Admin section and clicked Workshop Manual. Once you have entered the vehicle details and clicked OK a screen should come up with the following headings in the LH column
Overview
Body
Heating, ventilation, air conditioning
Power transmission
Power unit
Running gear
Vehicle electrics

Clicking on any of these show expand to give your more detailed choices.

Have you checked the \Elsawin directory on your computer. It should contain the following sub-directories...
bin
client
docs
grahics
html
log
mobile
tmp
version

All except version should contain files or further sub-directories. On my computer the \Elsawin directory contains 9.65Gb on data - 236,835 files in 12,129 folders. Right-click on the \Elsawin directory and click Properties and it should give you similar information.

I've just downloaded the 3.51 & 3.52 patch in a zip file but its password protected!!!! Your supposed to register with some dodgy site to get it :keule:

Tried the old vavourites AKTEForum.TK and Avaf without any luck :crying:

Good evening Dave!

No that doesn't happen.

Ok I have 7.11GB size on disc and 205,012 files in 4,239 folders.

I have all the same folders plus data.

I then have a folder which I named Audi data in the C directory and that contains 6.86GB and 371 files.

I also have another folder I named VW data for the VW data of course.

Where is your data stored Dave? It seems to me that the software doesn't know where to find the data files. Last night I hadn't installed the VW data and selecting a VW model had the same effect.

I have emailed the ebay seller but have heard nothing yet.

Cheers

Hi Leon, good to hear from you.

Yes I have a directory under \Elsawin called data as well - forgot to list that one!!

The two directories that are not below \Elsawin are the data installation directories that are only used to install the data, one for the Audi and one for the VW. If you look in the Audi directory you should see a file called setup.exe. If you double-click that file it should install the actual data into Elsawin. If you also want the VW information then do the same in the VW directory. Once the data is installed and you confirm the Elsawin is working OK those directories can be deleted.

On my pc I only have the \Elsawin directory and everything is installed in sub-directories below that, including all the data required.

Hope this helps.

I have run both setups and if I do them again it just says setup compete within a few seconds.

Hmmmmmm :banghead:

Strange. Have a look in your \doc\au\en-GB directory. Mine has the following files...
269.htm to 532.htm
5694.htm
6068.htm
6069.htm
8516 to 8555.htm

Strange. Have a look in your \doc\au\en-GB directory. Mine has the following files...
269.htm to 532.htm
5694.htm
6068.htm
6069.htm
8516 to 8555.htm

I have the same in docs\au\A\en-GB

I also have N and V in the au folder and both contain an en-GB folder

N has 2625 - 5820 but is missing lots on the way (107 files are there)
V has 2623 - 5826 and is missing lots too (445 files)

I'm guessing that isn't helping you much though Dave!

Mine has exactly the same. I assume you have set yourself up as a user in Elsawin Admin otherwise you would probably not get as far a you do.

What exact model details are you entering on the vehicle data page. I will try the same information as see what I get.

Failing that I do have a complete set of installation instructions. It may mean deleting you current setup and starting again using those instructions.

Mine has exactly the same. I assume you have set yourself up as a user in Elsawin Admin otherwise you would probably not get as far a you do.

What exact model details are you entering on the vehicle data page. I will try the same information as see what I get.

Failing that I do have a complete set of installation instructions. It may mean deleting you current setup and starting again using those instructions.

I have set up a user account in my name yes.

I have tried LOADS of different cars mate. From a '02 golf to a '08 S3.

Is yours a copied set? I had to install 3.30, then a setup_2, then 3.40, 3.50.

I aready had a copy at 3.40 on my pc so I only had to update to 3.50, but the disks and instruction I got - I purchased my latest copy on ebay from Autocare4u.co.uk It allow installation from scratch by installing 3.3, carrying out the admin part, then upgrading to 3.4 and then the same for 3.5. After that I created the folder Audi and VW, copied the data into those folders and ran the setup.exe in each. When I had done all that I just logged in and it all worked just the same as my version 3.4 but with later more upto data including the 2008 R8.

The process sounds the same as you have already done. What OS are you running.

My only suggestion is to remove it completely using Add/Remove programs and try the installation over again. Bit of a pain I know but I'm running out of ideas!

I just logged into Elsawin again and if I select the model year as 2008 I only get to vehicle choices, the R8 and the S5. If I select 2007 I get the usual long list. I selected Sales Model 8P1 for A3 3-door click the More button and at the bottom of the list the last entry for 8P1 S49 - MIL=BZC GIL=KDT TIL=JJN. Clicked OK and was given the full list of options starting with Overview, Body etc that I mentioned earlier.

I have tried that already but to no avail.

I'm running XP SP3.

I have had a reply from the seller but he's not much help yet.

I have tried that already but to no avail.

I'm running XP SP3.

I have had a reply from the seller but he's not much help yet.

I'm also running XP SP3. Do you fancy reinstalling it all from scratch. I've usually found most of the sellers don't know very much about the software and even less about computers!

Are you still in Germany?

mine came on an install cd and 2 data DVDs. As far as I can remember, I installed 3.3, ran updates to 3.5 and then when i put the 1st DVD in is started to install itself, asking for 2nd dvd at some point. I bought a version a few years back that I could never get to work with Audi but it did work with VW.

mine came on an install cd and 2 data DVDs. As far as I can remember, I installed 3.3, ran updates to 3.5 and then when i put the 1st DVD in is started to install itself, asking for 2nd dvd at some point. I bought a version a few years back that I could never get to work with Audi but it did work with VW.

Mine was the same, a Setup CD plus 2 Data DVDs. All installed with no problems.

I will wait to see what the seller says then maybe reinstall if he suggests it.

I have 1 set up, 2 audi, 3 VW, 1 Seat and 1 Skoda DVDs.

I'm on summer leave Dave :beerchug:

I will wait to see what the seller says then maybe reinstall if he suggests it.

I have 1 set up, 2 audi, 3 VW, 1 Seat and 1 Skoda DVDs.

I'm on summer leave Dave :beerchug:

Not sure where you are but if you setup is on a laptop and you're anywhere near Cambridgeshire you more than welcome to try an install from my disks.

You're never going to believe this!

I am currently using a 10" Advent laptop I got as a stop-gap until my all singing all dancing Vaio arrives. When I load up Elsa I get that message at the start and have been just clicking the X button! I couldn't see the Ok button at the bottom even if I scrolled down (which I had done). I had to move the window up so the top was off the screen to be able to see it!

The seller pointed this out, and now I can see all the stuff on the desktop within Elsa that wasn't there before!

Sorry to have bothered you with something so silly.

:redface:

No problem at Leon. Glad you got it sorted in the end. I nearly mentioned about had you clicked the OK on that screen but I thought you might think I was being a bit patronising!

What Vaio have you got on order. I have a 11.1" screen TX5 that I use to take around with me. It getting a bit slow now and I've been looking at the Sony website with a view to purchasing a new one. I like the look the SR19 or the new Z11. I particularly want a small one as I generally take it away on holiday with me. In September I going a river cruise from Amsterdam, down the Rhine, into the Mosel as far as Bernkastel, back to Koblenz and then across the Main, Main-Danude Canal and the Danube to Vienna. I have a GPS that I can connect to the TX5 and follow the progress of the boat.

Thanks for your help as ever Dave anyway. I thought maybe it would be something simple.

I used to have a TX5 actually. I bought it for when I was in Afghanistan. It was perfect there. The long battery life was useful for the times when we had no electricity.

I have a CR31ZR on the way. I'm not a big fan of the CRs actually but they're pretty good value for money. The CR31ZR is the second most powerful. It's identical to the top one the CR42ZR appart from it has less RAM but costs £120 quid less!

I think it was actually the SR that I wanted originally. Good sized screen and good specs, but the CR was cheaper and more powerful, and ultimately I don't get awards for having the most stylish laptop!

If you want mobility the TZ is the way forward, but it's still way overpriced. Especially when this Advent laptop I have here cost me only £280 and is not much less powerful. I plan to keep them both. The CR at home (I don't have a PC) for power and all the software and this Advent for travelling and for vag.com work.

I'd love to have the TZ but it's just silly carrying a £1500 laptop around everywhere!

It's possible that the TZs will come down in price and they are the same price at the moment as the brand new Z series which also have the 11.1" screen and only weigh in at 1.49kg compared with the 1.2kg of the TZ. The new SR19 looks good and are cheaper as well. A T8400 core 2 duo processor, 3Gb RAM, 13.3" screen and 1.85kg for around £998 from Sony and around £950 from dabs.com

The Z has a 13.1" screen. They won't use the 11.1 again until they replace the TZ.

You can pick up the TZ31 for less than a grand on ebay. I nearly got one last year instead of the TX.

I wouldn't bother spending that much on a small Sony though again. Now they've started it everyone is making them now, for a lot less money. I know you get what you pay for normally, I'm a big Sony fan too (2 big TVs, 4 laptops, stereo, car stereo, and many more so far) but I do too much travelling all over to risk that kind of money.

The Z has a 13.1" screen. They won't use the 11.1 again until they replace the TZ.

You can pick up the TZ31 for less than a grand on ebay. I nearly got one last year instead of the TX.

I wouldn't bother spending that much on a small Sony though again. Now they've started it everyone is making them now, for a lot less money. I know you get what you pay for normally, I'm a big Sony fan too (2 big TVs, 4 laptops, stereo, car stereo, and many more so far) but I do too much travelling all over to risk that kind of money.

Yes your right the new Z series are 13.3" screens. I had a look on ebay the other day on the only TZ31 for less than a grand was a 1Gb version in Pink!. Not really what I'm looking for. I think I'll wait for a while and see what happens to the prices on both the TZ31 and the new Z11 series before deciding. I'm in no hurry as I've still got the TX5. Computers used to be my job but now I'm retired they are my main hobby together with my A3 so, like buying an A3 over a Focus, I don't mind paying the price for what I want. Money is not that important to me!

Pink is the colour of the moment Dave! lol

Keep checking this guy: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/robertchristian_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

He has no TZs at the moment but he has had them before.

I know what you mean about spending money though. As soon as I started earning a decent wage I started to spend good money on good things. They last so much longer!

But in a time where laptop prices are just going down and down, I think Sony needs to address their marketing ideas.

I'm in a mood with Sony at the moment anyway. They've stopped using Atrac file format. All of my music is in Atrac!

Elsawin 4.0
How can I save the VTI (vehicle type identification - the details of the car) so that I don't have to enter all the information again every time I log back into Elsawin.