Need some answers regarding my cambelt

rob v6

Learning the VAG way
Reaction score
Right need to some advice regarding my cambelt i have checked in my service book and the cambelt was changed at 80k first time it was changed so does that mean i have to get it changed every 80k 60k or 40k.

p.s it is a 2.4 v6

I have a 2.8. I'm not 100% on the intervals for changing the cambelt, but mine was also done at 80k at the dealers. It has now done 130k and I have just had it changed again, only so I do not have to worry about it! Time is a factor too. I'm pretty sure Audi reccomend it changed every 5 years regardless of mileage due to exposure/weathering. if you can check (if in doubt phone the dealers where the belt was changed and they will have everything that was done at the sametime on record) if the waterpump,thermostat,pulleys and tensioners were changed at the same time as the belt. If they were not (meaning the previous owner was a tightarse!) then I would get everything done as a precaution. AdamS24 changed mine along with everything else that should be changed with it. His prices are EXCELLENT and I highly reccomend getting in touch (he is on here) if you are not doing the job yourself.....

Ollie

Yeh the time is a big factor and something thats often overlooked. Mate of mine baught a T-Reg corsa a few months back for his sister. It had snapped its cambelt on the motorway and hence was super cheap. Turned out to have only done 35k miles, but was on the original 10 year old belt

mine is also a 2.4 got the belt changed at 55k 2 years back, while your at it change the tensioner, water pump, stat etc

so looks like i need to get mine done then it was last changed at 80k in sept 04

Yes it would be wise! As it has been just under 6 years since it changed. It will give you great peace of mind afterwards so well worth it. If it snaps the damage it would do would cost you the same as buying another 2 2.4's!!!

So how much would i expect to pay to get the cambelt, tensioner, water pump, stat etc changed

not to bad then i paid more than that on my last v6

tbh it completely depends on the work they actually carry out

on a v6 you want the following done
timing belt
tensioner
guide roller
water pump/gasket
stat/gasket

aux belt
tensioner
guide roller

when i called audi for a quote, all they did was the timing belt and the tensioner roller. not even the ternsioner

and the cost of decent parts alone, at decent prices will be c.£250

i will have to go and get a quote on tuesday and see how much of a hole it is going to burn in my pocket

Speak to adamss24. He did the full kit on mine a few months back. Fantastic price, and all the parts were top quality.

already sent him a mesage just waiting for a reply