need some advise with a bad oil leak on my 1.8T a4 , where could it be coming from???

jamesey

Reaction score
hi ive finally got my a4 on the road and all i can smell is burning oil , when i open the bonnet its smoking from the manifold area to the rear , theres a wire thats bolted to a bracket that goes to the starter motor , the housing where the bolt goes through was clean as i gunked it last week not it has fresh oil on it , what can be around that area dripping or should i say running down? its not the rocker gasket thats dry , it must be behind the heatsheild around the top of the manifold,
i dont want to drive this until its sorted or it might catch fire with the way its running down , its left a bigish pool of fresh oil on my drive already any help would be great , its a 1.8T AVJ 2002 model with 162k on the clock.:think: 20131009 154838

just a quick update , the rocker or half moon isnt leaking its bome dry , its either the silver thing at the back of the engine like the shape of a egr valve , or the turbo oil feed pipe , there both wet , on the turbo oil feed its where the silver solid pipe joins the flexi pipe behind the head.
also on the other side of the head on dipstick side under the rear of the inlet theres a 3 port breather hose thats split does anyone know a part number for this part please?

anyone? , ive pretty sure its the turbo oil feed pipe at the rear of the engine , they must be a welded bracket on the pipe at the rear
i started stripping the breathers out and there all ****** blocked , this cars going from bad to worse.

Breather pipes become blocked over time especially if previous owners haven't kept to service schedules, as for part numbers/item try partsbase.org select audi then Europe then select your model and so on, it will give explodes diagrams of parts and will give you manufacturer part numbers,

Turbo oil feed pipe if not sealed properly can squirt oil a distance as ot did in my old starlet so could be that! Juat dnt no if it would get over to where your pictur3 shows

sorted , cleared all my blocked breathers out and fixed the faulty pipe and it doesnt leak oil anymore , do you think pressure was building up and blowing it out anywhere? , ive done 100 miles today and no oil leaking onto the cat?

I'd put money on it been the half moon gaskit under the cam chain tensioner mine was really bad wen I got the car. But wen I put my hand down back of engine it felt to be the egr. It was all over the gearbox too and dripping on the floor but the seal felt dry. My problem turned out to be that the one way pcv valve failed causing vacuum pressure in the crankcase on idle. It was like a vac was sucking my oil cap down. Am a mechanic my self. So I replace the pcv And tensioner gaskit along with the half moon gaskit. Took about an hour to do all 3. And now no oil leaks cost me £30 from tps for all 3 parts too pal

I'd put money on it been the half moon gaskit under the cam chain tensioner mine was really bad wen I got the car. But wen I put my hand down back of engine it felt to be the egr. It was all over the gearbox too and dripping on the floor but the seal felt dry. My problem turned out to be that the one way pcv valve failed causing vacuum pressure in the crankcase on idle. It was like a vac was sucking my oil cap down. Am a mechanic my self. So I replace the pcv And tensioner gaskit along with the half moon gaskit. Took about an hour to do all 3. And now no oil leaks cost me £30 from tps for all 3 parts too pal

did you have to take the camshafts out? , mine doesnt drip or leak now ive cleaned my badly blocked breathers out. ill still be keeping an eye on it thou

did you also clean out the black metal pipe that runs along the left hand side of the rocker cover?

yes that was the worst one on the car , i had to litally force a coathanger rough it to clear it , windowleane was good aswell to loosen it.
ive just changed the oil 3 weeks ago but now ive found this i could do with flushing the oil again , whats the best to clean this gunk out?