Need Serious help, Car is acting strange

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hi guys, ok so I leave work today the car feels normal. So I decide to overtake a truck, I pull out to overtake and I feel " as if " a pipe or something came off because as soon as the car started to spool it lost power and started to judder.

So I drove to the next service station to see if there was anything noticeable. All IC pipes are in place, and nothing obvious seems to have came off. The only thing I can point the problem to is something to do with the turbo/exhaust. My symptoms are as follows:

1) Serious jerkiness when trying to accelerate over 3,000, as if the turbo is spooling but the air is hitting against something so it vibrates and the whole car shakes like I've never felt before.

2) More engine vibration (than before) when idle (sits at around 800 but is not as stable as before so it keeps on reving it self a bit)

3) The exhaust note has DEFIANTLY changed, it's as if I've got something stuck in there. The exhaust has changed from sounding free flowing to as if its a tractor (no joke) it now sounds as if my exhaust has a huge hole in it, but all the welds and joints up to the sport cat seem fine.

So Does this sounds familiar to anyone? Anyone had this problem? I thought it could be the coil pack, as I haven't changed mine yet and recently remapped the car, but can a coil pack make that much change to noise in the exhaust?

P.S. I get an engine light only when trying to get over 3k and when the car starts to shake, when I slow down the engine light goes off.

Ok things to check are

Coil packs as you've noticed yourself

and double check your injector plugs havent come loose

i'd probably bank of it being the coil pack tho

Good luck - hope you get it sorted. A coilpack would mean its firing on 3 cylinders. I've only experienced it on a diesel but it makes a horrible sound. Fingers crossed its a cheap fix. Let us know how you get on.

Its almost definately not a spark plug

Injector plugs are green, one each side of the engine, under the cover and below the coilpacks/spark plugs

If its come out you'll know just by pushing it

Coilpacks can be checked by moving one, i cant remember exactly what to do but a search should help u out bud

rodenal said:
Its almost definitely not a spark plug

Injector plugs are green, one each side of the engine, under the cover and below the coilpacks/spark plugs

If its come out you'll know just by pushing it

Coilpacks can be checked by moving one, i cant remember exactly what to do but a search should help u out bud

Aren't there 4 injectors? and how come you're mentioning injectors? should I check they're not loose too?

What exactly do you mean by moving the coilpack? you mean from side to side while it's still in?

Aky said:
A coilpack would mean its firing on 3 cylinders. I've only experienced it on a diesel but it makes a horrible sound.

I doubt you would have experienced it on a diesel, they dont have an ignition system and therefore no coil packs.

It's not the injectors themselves, just the plugs - there are two, and they can come loose on occasion if the clip breaks or even if they've not been put back on correctly .

I only mention it as my car has this exact problem, and as it runs on 3 cylinders when one comes loose it acts very much like a coilpack has gone, almost scooby like in sound.

rodenal said:
It's not the injectors themselves, just the plugs - there are two, and they can come loose on occasion if the clip breaks or even if they've not been put back on correctly .

I only mention it as my car has this exact problem, and as it runs on 3 cylinders when one comes loose it acts very much like a coilpack has gone, almost scooby like in sound.

Oh ok I c, but aren't there 4 spark plugs? lol. :)

There are yeah lol, but only two injector plugs (accessable/viewable anyway) - they're just wires with a 2 pin plug on the end

Ok after doing a search and reading some of the symptoms people have had with coil packs going I most defiantly think its my coil pack that's gone, as I've had the same symptoms.

Now would it be ok to drive like 3 miles tomorrow to audi for some new coil packs? and can I just fit the coil packs and drive off? I mean no need to delete any engine codes with vag come right?

dan_a3 said:
I doubt you would have experienced it on a diesel, they dont have an ignition system and therefore no coil packs.

I certainly did mate - thought I'd blown the turbo! One of the glow plugs had popped out after a service (feck know's why they were touching the glow plugs) VW assistance came out and diagnosed and tightened it up. Job done!

Have you thought about using Roadside assistance. Tehy have a diagnosis tool and if it is a coilpack they charge about £60 for parts and labour and normally have in the back of the van.

Aky said:
I certainly did mate - thought I'd blown the turbo! One of the glow plugs had popped out after a service (feck know's why they were touching the glow plugs) VW assistance came out and diagnosed and tightened it up. Job done!

Have you thought about using Roadside assistance. Tehy have a diagnosis tool and if it is a coilpack they charge about £60 for parts and labour and normally have in the back of the van.

Nope never tried roadside assistance (thing is i'm leaving in a few months) do I need a membership?

and by glow plugs do you mean spark plugs?

The last time the plugs were touched was back in summer around 15k miles back so I doubt it'll be the plugs. I'll check the coil packs as they're easier to get to. and how would I know if the coil packs have gone? is there any way of inspecting them visually?

BY the exhaust sound you describe it could be a turbo gasket gone, losing boost, losing power and making more noise??

This could be caused by something comming loose inside the silencer if the exhaust note has changed.
A mate of mine had probs with a loose baffle...

Another possibility is a loose/burst hose between the MAF & turbo causing it to draw in un-metered air. I had this on my S2 & the car wa un driveable, serious kangarooing when the boost came on!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I doubt it's a loose/burst hose as this has happened to me on many occasions and this is defiantly different. I've also checked all the pipes and they seem to be fine. As for the exhaust note I'll see if it goes back to normal after replacing the coil packs. I'm pretty sure it's the coil packs because I've just ran a diag on vag com and these errors came up:

Address 01: Engine Labels: 8N0-906-018.LBL
Part No: 8N0 906 018 BH
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0001
Coding: 10710
Shop #: WSC 00000
WAUZZZ8L421010038 AUZ7Z0A1997736

3 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-00 - -
16685 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
P0301 - 35-00 - -
16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
P0302 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: 0000 0000

and from this I conclude that it's the coil packs (at least I hope it's only the coil packs and nothing else).

When replacing the coils is it preferable to change all four at the same time? or would it not make a difference?

one more thing, when looking at the engine bay which cylinders are # 1 and 2?

Easy way to check if its a coil pack is to disconnect them one at a time, then run the car and see if the idle has changed. If the coil pack is ok then by disconnecting it the idle should get noticeably worse.
It definately sounds like coil packs to me mate, youve got the same symptoms i had when mine went.

Defratos said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I doubt it's a loose/burst hose as this has happened to me on many occasions and this is defiantly different. I've also checked all the pipes and they seem to be fine. As for the exhaust note I'll see if it goes back to normal after replacing the coil packs. I'm pretty sure it's the coil packs because I've just ran a diag on vag com and these errors came up:

Address 01: Engine Labels: 8N0-906-018.LBL
Part No: 8N0 906 018 BH
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0001
Coding: 10710
Shop #: WSC 00000
WAUZZZ8L421010038 AUZ7Z0A1997736

3 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-00 - -
16685 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
P0301 - 35-00 - -
16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
P0302 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: 0000 0000

and from this I conclude that it's the coil packs (at least I hope it's only the coil packs and nothing else).

When replacing the coils is it preferable to change all four at the same time? or would it not make a difference?

one more thing, when looking at the engine bay which cylinders are # 1 and 2?

Number 1 cylinder is next to the timing belt, so on your left as you look at the engine, with 2 next to it and so on. Disconnect number 1 coil pack and see if anything changes mate

Defratos said:
Will try that. Is it ok to drive with a coil pack out? I'm guessing not. and how long can I drive for with the car misfiring in 2 cylinders? would a 20 mile journey be ok?

If youve lost one or even two coil packs, id drive it as little as possible because you will be pumping unburnt fuel from those cylinders through the cat which wont do it an favours.

Should be ok for a couple of miles mate, its just a mate lost two coil packs in his A4 and killed the cat by driving it but this was for more than just a couple of miles.

Sorry about the slow replies but my broadband is doing its best impression of dialup tonight for some reason.

LOL, Daffy, why do you always have to drive the odd mile or two with your car in this condition, same when you had the hose come loose on the motorway and still drive the 100 miles home running no turbo boost!? Surely the best thing to do is get it fixed before driving at all mate, can't you get a lift or phone a taxi for your 2 mile drive, it's sure as hell better than doing more damage to your car in the long run...
Hope you get it sorted soon though bud, and join the AA mate, I did when I purchased my S3, as it was my first turbo car, and it was damn useful I had AA when the gearbox decided explode on the M42.

lol Jojo I know I just get the wrong end of the stick always. It's just I'm new to the area I'm in so I don't know my way around well. But I guess calling a mini cab won't do any harm. I just can't remember if I've got all the tools to take the coils out with and I need my car for work everyday

all you'll need to remove the coil pack is a small screwdriver to lift up the connector so it unlocks, then the plug slides off and you should be able to pull the coil pack out

good luck

Defratos said:
lol Jojo I know I just get the wrong end of the stick always. It's just I'm new to the area I'm in so I don't know my way around well. But I guess calling a mini cab won't do any harm. I just can't remember if I've got all the tools to take the coils out with and I need my car for work everyday

Mate, I'm sure you have worked hard to buy this car, and you seem to enjoy driving the thing as much as I do mine, so why not take the precautions of keeping the car healthy for the sake of 2miles drive, just walk it you lazy ******, or order that cab if it's raining lol. :icon_thumright:

MikeA3 said:
all you'll need to remove the coil pack is a small screwdriver to lift up the connector so it unlocks, then the plug slides off and you should be able to pull the coil pack out

good luck

IIRC, my coilpacks are screwed down buy an allenkey bolt of somesort? The above only applies to later, possibly facelift models?

MikeA3 said:

good luck

Cool, I guess its easy for coils 1 & 2, as for 3 & 4 some other bits seem to need removing (done it before like 2 years back)

jojo said:
Mate, I'm sure you have worked hard to buy this car, and you seem to enjoy driving the thing as much as I do mine, so why not take the precautions of keeping the car healthy for the sake of 2miles drive, just walk it you lazy ******, or order that cab if it's raining lol. :icon_thumright:

lol ok I won't drive it, there, happy now? :icon_thumright:

jojo said:
IIRC, my coilpacks are screwed down buy an allenkey bolt of somesort? The above only applies to later, possibly facelift models?

I thought it was only the hitachi style coil packs which were bolted down into the engine block so they don't pop up?

I'd assume the coil pack style was the same for both the 210 engines (mines a AMK 210)

where did you get your coil packs from jojo?

Ok managed to get the AA over this morning, and thankfully he had a spare Audi Coil Pack. Although he told me that only 1 coil pack was faulty (he checked it by switching the engine on and listening to the engine note as he removed them one by one). Just wanted to ask with the car miss firing on both cylinders would it be a good idea to change coil # 2 as well? or even change the remaining 3? The car seems to be back to normal, but just to put me at ease I'd rather change all of them. What do u suggest?

P.s. Thanks all for the help yesterday :beerchug:

i had a coilpack go on my 2002 S3 a few weeks ago. Mine is under warranty as I bought it from a dealer and got their standard 12 months. The guy from Audi Assist didn't realise this so he assumed I was well out of warranty. What he said was, if the car is less than 5 years old, they charge for the coilpack (about £25) but don't charge the labour to replace it. If the car is more than 5 years old, they charge for both the coilpack and the labour.

I changed all four of mine when the first one failed for piece of mind (they have supposedly improved the design so it shouldnt happen on the ones they supply now)