Need help with headlights

Adams38p1187

Reaction score
Just bought an AUDI S3 8p. The front headlights sometimes decide to randomly stop working. The passengers side headlight doesn’t work at all. Neither of the front indicators work but when I unlock the car with the key, both the indicators flash.. very weird.

It’s the pre facelift model but it had some front end damage so the previous owner has changed it to a facelift front end with an rs3 bumper and other bits.

I took the bumper off and the left headlight to try and see what the issue was. All I could see was a bunch of wires hanging off, some of them taped. I think it’s got some type of conversion kit or something on the headlights. Someone has done a very crap job at wiring them.

Ive tried soldering a few loose connections together and now have got to the point where the passenger side headlight turns on, but it makes a weird clicking noise and turns itself back off after a few seconds.

Would like to preferably try fix it myself as my local mechanic will charges an arm and leg for wiring and electronic jobs.

Thanks!

(PS. I’m 17 and haven’t got that much, experience with cars... I hate the electrics side of it )

024DCADE 0F4B 4AB9 AB02 2845A49EC55C

Attachments

• 899F4362-6E53-44F4-8670-9113F2287215.jpeg
    899F4362-6E53-44F4-8670-9113F2287215.jpeg
    947.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 2320085D-4670-4E07-A1D0-526E5A887504.jpeg
    2320085D-4670-4E07-A1D0-526E5A887504.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
  • D7102812-0380-49B1-B1AA-9EF087250375.jpeg
    D7102812-0380-49B1-B1AA-9EF087250375.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • D50A03C6-E980-4A99-944F-EEE67CDEE854.jpeg
    D50A03C6-E980-4A99-944F-EEE67CDEE854.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 96
  • 2C719388-603A-41A2-BC9A-FB83F5994AC0.jpeg
    2C719388-603A-41A2-BC9A-FB83F5994AC0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
Oh dear someone's made a real mess with led bulb installs.

Are there any labels on the top of the headlights?

I could probably resolve, it may require new headlights.

Oh dear someone's made a real mess with led bulb installs.

Are there any labels on the top of the headlights?

I could probably resolve, it may require new headlights.
This is what it says on top of the lights. No labels.

Ahh damn really ? New lights. Really liked these ones with the yellow inside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 102
Tbh someone has cannibilised either an audi set or aftermarket, as it shows d3s markings which is stock xenon bulb type, but doesnt mean much without a good look at them.

Hers one for you Nige :) Whenever i start up, after about3-4 seconds the fog lights flash about 6 times very quickly....Its only done it since i fitted LED's and enabled cornering lights.
Its not a problem but maybe its trying to tell me something ?

Tbh someone has cannibilised either an audi set or aftermarket, as it shows d3s markings which is stock xenon bulb type, but doesnt mean much without a good look at them.
Could I not just swap out the old LEDs with a new conversion kit ? Why would the whole headlight need replacing?
Sorry if I’m asking stupid questions.

Hers one for you Nige :) Whenever i start up, after about3-4 seconds the fog lights flash about 6 times very quickly....Its only done it since i fitted LED's and enabled cornering lights.
Cold diagnosis, its checking the bulbs I'd say, did you disable fog cold diagnosis in 09?

Which ones did you fit out of interest.

Reactions: paddy
Could I not just swap out the old LEDs with a new conversion kit ? Why would the whole headlight need replacing?
Sorry if I’m asking stupid questions.
Without seeing the units directly, I wouldn't want to advise, as there's even fan unit led bulbs in there, not sure whats going on without properly looking over them.

Ideally I'd remove all & start fresh.

Without seeing the units directly, I wouldn't want to advise, as there's even fan unit led bulbs in there, not sure whats going on without properly looking over them.

Ideally I'd remove all & start fresh.
Where are you based?

All over, best to whatsapp me, I see you're in london so thats not an issue.

Reactions: George Kost
All over, best to whatsapp me, I see you're in london so thats not an issue.

Cold diagnosis, its checking the bulbs I'd say, did you disable fog cold diagnosis in 09?

Which ones did you fit out of interest.
Sorry to crash your thread adam
Dont know for sure what they were Nige but they are fan cooled from the guy everyone recommends on here for LED's
all i did with VCDS was enable cornering lights. As i say its not a problem, everything works fine but i does seem to be a trait of these LED's as nothing else changed.

Just a thought Adam if one light is clicking is the fan clear of the wiring ?

Sorry to crash your thread adam
Dont know for sure what they were Nige but they are fan cooled from the guy everyone recommends on here for LED's
all i did with VCDS was enable cornering lights. As i say its not a problem, everything works fine but i does seem to be a trait of these LED's as nothing else changed.
Was that robin or t8ups?

Had my reverse lights doing this. Tried few different LED bulbs but eventually had to disable cold diagnosis.

Reactions: paddy
Just a thought Adam if one light is clicking is the fan clear of the wiring ?
Will have a look tomorrow , pretty sure it is though. It’s quite big so the back cover of the headlight doesn’t even fit over it , might even have been damaged by water or something.. god knows .