Need help - New to Audi

ShaneJC

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just picked up a 2009 A3 (8p I think?) and I'm trying to learn all about them. I can do some research on this site but something I can't seem to find is what the heck I have going on on my roof. I'm trying to buy roof racks, and it looks like the previous owner had some sort of Thule set up, but I have no idea what kind.

I was going to buy a crossbar set up on eBay, but the seller told me I needed rails for his set up. So my questions are - 1) Is my car set up to receive these rails already? 2) If so, where can I get them? 3) Should I just try to find a system that matches what I already have going on?

Thanks or all your help guys!

I'm sorry but i have no idea what you have going on. You either get a set that fits under the top of the door, or you have roof rails from the factory. What you have is not the latter.

definitely aren't oem audi, try unbolt them and look for some numbers/ any code on them, then google it, probably u will find out what it is. You will need hex or torx set for them as seen on photo.

Yep never seen that before. Would be nice to think these have been fitted in place of Oem roof rails so the original fixings are in place / being used under those things. Although taking a closer look - there seems to be far too many fixings on those vs proper roof rails. Is it a sport back or 2 door ? If it's a 2 door oem roof rails aren't an option anyway. Gut feeling is that someone has ruined your roof :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep never seen that before. Would be nice to think these have been fitted in place of Oem roof rails so the original fixings are in place / being used under those things. Although taking a closer look - there seems to be far too many fixings on those vs proper roof rails. Is it a sport back or 2 door ? If it's a 2 door oem roof rails aren't an option anyway. Gut feeling is that someone has ruined your roof :-(

Is 5door (check 1st photo, you can see the little back window) But still repairable ;)

Original rails are in the outside of the roof seam/body line - these are on the inside. It's unfortunate that these have been fitted his way - it is repairable though - get a good panelbeater to fit originals at the same time if you were to go that way.

Holy crap, wasn't expecting to get such bad news. That suuuuucks. Just bought this sucker 2 days ago. What does it all mean?

It's a sportback 5 door. I'm hoping that maybe some sort of Thule rep installed it at least.

That's a good idea, thanks.
definitely aren't oem audi, try unbolt them and look for some numbers/ any code on them, then google it, probably u will find out what it is. You will need hex or torx set for them as seen on photo.