need help fitting correct adapter for Kenwood head unit.

cypher007

Reaction score
I have an 2005 A3 that has a Kenwood unit fitted by Halfords, im the second owner and haven't got the receipt, ive pulled it out as it isn't wired correctly. the rear speakers are almost silent and the sub in the boot is also almost silent.

they seem to have used a standard PC9-401:
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/aut...a4-a6-a8-wiring-harness-adaptor-iso-lead.html

but vcds can talk to the sub so im guessing it should have some sort of can bus adapter?

the original Audi head unit was a Concert apparently and according to my options sticker without CD changer.

Is the blue wire coming from the red block connected to 12v?
That adapter looks to be correct for a half amped iso setup

its seems to connect to the Kenwood. via the crimp to rubber socket type thingy.

ok after listening to it again I think its more like the gain is set at a different level for the rear and sub. it seems the adapter has a small circuit board taking the rear left and right 4 wires into just 3. im guessing under the shrink wrap is some surface mount resistors. im guessing this is also where the rear channel is picking up noise from.

what I don't understand is why they didn't use the 2 phonos on the kenwood for the rear channel, as this would probably be a cleaner setup and maybe at the right level, or at least be adjustable on the head unit.

I did notice the yellow wire goes to nothing as the audi plug has no connection, so they have connected that to the red wire on the iso adapter. so yellow on head to red on iso. that seems to be a permanent live.

also the red wire on the head goes to a custom feed from the fuse board, which im guessing turns on and off with the ignition.

what I don't understand is why if I set p-off wait to 20mins it still just goes straight off, unlike my sony I had on another car.

Why not take it along to Halfords and see if they can wire it in for you , or maybe get incontact with the sites retrofitters who could plumb it in for you for a fee @NHN or @Ash187 just a thought cause you only need to look through the forum to see how many members av posted about problems with aftermarket Head Units

also on the original audi connector for the rear/sub there are about 2 wires that are not connected, not sure what they do? maybe can bus?

im pretty good with a multimeter and soldering iron. I just wonder if the way Halfords have connected the rear amp setup is the cause of the faint electrical noise and low volume. as having an amp feed going through a section of unshielded cable isn't a good idea especially behind a dash.

im pretty good with a multimeter and soldering iron. I just wonder if the way Halfords have connected the rear amp setup is the cause of the faint electrical noise and low volume. as having an amp feed going through a section of unshielded cable isn't a good idea especially behind a dash.
Not be long before you get to the bottom off the problem so i look forward to your write up about how you fixed this problem as it can help others if they have the same problem with there Aftermarket unit :thumbs up:

had a google about your issue, and its common, not only with a3s either.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...peakers-when-installing-aftermarket-head-unit

so there the solution was to use the preouts from the headunit, and adjust the settings to suit.

2 adapters available with the rca wiring for the rears, the connects2 CT20AU10 and the autoleads pc9-404. take your pick.
connect to the sub preout on the headunit and figures crossed should improve the sound.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wirring-...206386&hash=item4b49065bc9:g:rSUAAOSwBwBZjesK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT20AU10...621288?hash=item33dfe46ca8:g:rZ0AAOSwMkJaXwwz

edit- also saw this video where the guy offers an alternative solution

Last edited:
I would say replace the leads with the connects 2 steering wheel harness, even if you don’t have steering wheel controls.
It comes with a canbus module and it makes it so much easier, plug and play with a couple wires that join up like the remote feed wire for the amp and radio amp.

Reactions: ch1z64
If you have issues with the sound I found that the speaker in the centre of the dashboard needed disconnecting as anything above 16 volume would cause the audio to stutter and breakup until this was unplugged.

We install these all the time in the older A3s with ISO and the newer ones with Quadlock. Connects2 is the way to go!

Reactions: ch1z64
I think with all the years of experience that @Ash187 has behind him i know you's advice i would need to take :thumbs up:

We install these all the time in the older A3s with ISO and the newer ones with Quadlock. Connects2 is the way to go!

hello Ash,

so which adapter should I use? the steering wheel doesn't have controls VCDS says the rear sub system is a ab2 subwooferboxh25.

at the moment to get it balanced ive had to set the fader to 9-10 biased to the rear to get the rear speakers to the same volume as the front.

looking at the adapter samisnake linked to it doesn't seem to have any shielded phono connections or even a reducer board. how is it connecting to the kenwood to supply the rear/sub amp?

I have a kenwood kmm-bt502dab that has a single connector and only rear phono line out, the fronts are direct feed. Also don’t have the steering wheel controls and where does the canbus connector plug into? I’m probably missing something.

Will that lead still output to the font speakers? As mine I see half amped.

yes I thought that but im not sure he realises the kenwood only has rear phono out. that lead says the head unit must have phono out. so just need clarification that this will work in a half amped setup.

I am assuming your still no further on with the problem you have , might have been worth taking the new hareness mention from Ash and go to halfords to fit it for you as a mulitmeter and soldering iron ain't helping you get to the bottom off it ,

Well I suppose I can just throw £40 at that harness and if the front speakers aren’t passed through then I’ll cannibalise the Halfords lead to make a combination of the 2. At least it will give me canbus and rear phono I guess.

Last edited:
Hi @cypher007 did you get anywhere at the end?

Hi @Ash187
Just like @cypher007 I have a 2005 Audi A3 (single DIN concert II, half amplified, non Bose) and I will attempt to install the Pioneer SPH-DA130DAB soonish, so I was looking at required adapters etc.

Looks like there's a newer version of CTSAD003.2, CTSAD003.3, that also has support for invoking Siri by long pressing the voice button.
While looking this up, I came across CTSAD007.3, which also support Siri, but also mentions Maintains Half Amplified Systems.
It seems that the latter is what I want?

It's a shame that the the complete kit, CTKAU01 has none of the newer adapters, so depending on the above, I may have to assemble things by myself?
I also noticed that the double din fascia that I need is actually CT23AU08, as the fascia that comes with the former is too big for the 6.2" Pioneer screen (I want it to look like https://i.imgur.com/tfAPpQo.jpg), so I guess the answer is obvious haha.

Thanks!

Hi there

I have also bought an aftermarket stereo from A-SURE on ebay which was probably a mistake as the customer service is terrible, it all seems plug and play and it has come with a canbus etc but there are 3 wires KEY 1 KEY 2 and IR which I have read are my steering wheel controls so do i now need another adaptor also to make these work.

Having a quick play about the volume works but the speak button does not work and mode, I ordered another harness as I don't think I have a Bose system as none of my speakers are badged, Audi A3 2012 MPI 1.6 sportback.

I was hoping I could fix this myself rather than take it to a shop

Thanks

Hi there

I have also bought an aftermarket stereo from A-SURE on ebay which was probably a mistake as the customer service is terrible, it all seems plug and play and it has come with a canbus etc but there are 3 wires KEY 1 KEY 2 and IR which I have read are my steering wheel controls so do i now need another adaptor also to make these work.

Having a quick play about the volume works but the speak button does not work and mode, I ordered another harness as I don't think I have a Bose system as none of my speakers are badged, Audi A3 2012 MPI 1.6 sportback.

Thanks

Send it back and get an xtrons unit. Everything you need comes with it and it does a lot more, more apps etc.

Hi there

Thanks

The key 1, 2 etc wires are to connect to a Chinese headunit patch lead which connects to a connects2 (other brands are available) Canbus adapter.

You say your unit came with a Canbus (adapter) and that the volume works. On the steering wheel I'm assuming.
If it works and those wires aren't connected, the Canbus adapter is a3 specific and you don't need to connect those wires.

If that's the case, the buttons that work on the wheel are determined by the Canbus adapter and the headunit.
You might find that there is a setting to assign steering wheel controls. You might find that you can't and you're stuck with it as is

Send it back and get an xtrons unit. Everything you need comes with it and it does a lot more, more apps etc.
In all fairness I was given it as a brand new stereo as my friend sold his car so I cant really complain its just getting the damn thing working :)

In all fairness I was given it as a brand new stereo as my friend sold his car so I cant really complain its just getting the damn thing working :)

Fair enough, you can’t beat a freebie!

It’s as the guy above says then, the functions are determined by that canbus box. If you’ve got the unit in and working and you’ve got sound through the speakers and some of the steering wheel buttons are working then that’s as good as it’s guna get. You don’t need to connect those steering wheel button cables to anything

The key 1, 2 etc wires are to connect to a Chinese headunit patch lead which connects to a connects2 (other brands are available) Canbus adapter.

You say your unit came with a Canbus (adapter) and that the volume works. On the steering wheel I'm assuming.
If it works and those wires aren't connected, the Canbus adapter is a3 specific and you don't need to connect those wires.

If that's the case, the buttons that work on the wheel are determined by the Canbus adapter and the headunit.
You might find that there is a setting to assign steering wheel controls. You might find that you can't and you're stuck with it as is
Hi thanks for your reply, yes it is a Chinese head unit and it definitely came with a canbus adaptor, the unit would not power up until I had the canbus plugged in, I have only had it plugged in for 10 minutes and not really messed with it I just needed to know if I needed to buy a separate adaptor for steering wheel controls also as I don't think the stereo illuminated either and was not sure if that's what the IR cable was for

Attachments

• IMG_5540.JPG
    IMG_5540.JPG
    957.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_5539.JPG
    IMG_5539.JPG
    640.4 KB · Views: 142
Fair enough, you can’t beat a freebie!

It’s as the guy above says then, the functions are determined by that canbus box. If you’ve got the unit in and working and you’ve got sound through the speakers and some of the steering wheel buttons are working then that’s as good as it’s guna get. You don’t need to connect those steering wheel button cables to anything
hi thanks for the reply am so glad I joined now I was going to order yet another box, I have ordered another harness as I don't think I have the bose system so it said I needed another quadlock adaptor which arrives Monday, I will plug it all in and see if there is a steering wheel setting for the speak and mode, just another thing (apologies) I have the double arial and a single plug for the stereo which I know I can get an adaptor for but what is the blue lead in the photo for, apologies if that sounds daft
thanks
kenny

Attachments

• IMG_5539.JPG
    IMG_5539.JPG
    640.4 KB · Views: 97
The (ant) blue wire its to turn on the aerial amplifier at the back of the car, so it may need to be spliced in to your main harness. i have no idea wire you would need to splice it with without a wiring diagram.

but with most plug in and play harness's you shouldn't need to splice it in the can bus box should control the antenna amplifier. (going off memory)

The (ant) blue wire its to turn on the aerial amplifier at the back of the car, so it may need to be spliced in to your main harness. i have no idea wire you would need to splice it with without a wiring diagram.

but with most plug in and play harness's you shouldn't need to splice it in the can bus box should control the antenna amplifier. (going off memory)
I have just ordered one of these so I was hoping the double plug from my car plugs into one end, the jack in the stereo and I was just going to join the blue with the blue ANT cable on the after market stereo, hopefully this is right if anyone could confirm :)

Attachments

• IMG_5551.PNG
    IMG_5551.PNG
    474.2 KB · Views: 144