NEED e-tron VCDS help

Mike Feldman

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
While enabling then disabling the traffic sign recognition, I must have clicked something wrong. My 2016 e-tron allows me to hit the "EV" button next to the 'drive select' button above the HVAC controls and it will change the mode in the gauge cluster, but the pop up screen shows an error message "e-tron mode: The selected system is currently not available" and does not show the e-tron menu in the MMI Car Systems menu. If anyone knows how to add that menu back, please help.

VCDS keeps a log of the changes made. Check out the files located in the following location in order to trace your steps:
  • Ross-Tech > VCDS > Debug >
Depending on your version the possible files are:
  • CodingLog.TXT
  • AdpLog.CSV
  • CodingLog.CSV

I just found those files and retraced and reset to the last time I knew the menu was there and working, but the problem still exists. I even did the monkey grip MMI reset to make sure.

Not 100% sure what the issue could be then to be honest. It sounds like whatever change you made disabled the system in question, and any settings related to it... possibly its parameterisations also, which are configurations which VCDS cannot access / change. In cases like this, which is actually how I find a lot of the possible VCDS mods etc (by breaking my car), I would connect up to the VW network and factory restore the "problem" car. Not London based by any chance are you?

No, I am in USA and unable to link up to anywhere other than my own VCDS. I will just have to wait until my next service and then redo all my mods again like last service.

All I need are simple things: comfort open and close, needle sweep, etc. I just want the night vision if possible and traffic jam as well.

No, I am in USA and unable to link up to anywhere other than my own VCDS. I will just have to wait until my next service and then redo all my mods again like last service.

shame, as I could have sorted this with local access.

All I need are simple things: comfort open and close, needle sweep, etc. I just want the night vision if possible and traffic jam as well.

The basic mods should be easy to sort out, Traffic Jam am not so sure. Night vision requires a special camera which will not work on the A3, its A4 etc.

MLBevo and MQB cars share some modules between them, 09 in this case, so features like virtual pedal, night vision and heads up display show on the A3 but cannot be added really.

Using night vision as an example, a PFL instrument cluster would not support the graphics, but an A6 or A7 can. Night vision uses the display between the clocks and not the mmi.

If I were to ask a local shop to help what terminology would I be asking them to reset to factory?

If I were to ask a local shop to help what terminology would I be asking them to reset to factory?
You would need to find a VW Group authorised 3rd party with both ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic Information System) and Group Systems Access. Ask them to run "Software Version Management" (SVM) on your car, requesting that any differences found between your cars coding and the central coding database for modules 09, 17 and 5F be reset ("accepted" in ODIS speak), or all modules if you are wanting a complete factory reset. The process should take no more than 2 hours for a full reset on a pretty high spect vehicle.