Need advice on trying to sell a car (talking to potential buyers)

dhillon884

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am good at selling, but I don't want to try to sell the car, the car should sell itself (if I don't get what I want for it, then i'm happy to hold on to it). The problem is (with nationwide adverts), I get people calling from out of the midlands. With these people I am very clear about the few problems with the car straight away and then they start throwing offers at me...

What do I do with these offers? If i accept one and they come, will they try haggle me more? What If i won't accept any less (should i feel guilty for wasting thier 200mile round journey)...? Regarding the offer spoken on the phone, should that still be slightly higher than I actually want incase they want a further drop when they are here?

With local people its no problem, come view the car, drive it and tell me how much you want to give me for it. I just have trouble with people on the phone... I understand they can't simply view it and would come with intention to buy, I just can't handle the offers... I'd accept them if they were in person and had the cash, but over the phone I always feel they will haggle me more (they find other bits they don't like about the car)...

PLease advisee

We're talking about an 8grand cabriolet... incase the value makes a difference to the advice I need...

Tell them not to be daft and that you have priced the car to reflect the minor points made and you will only discuss offers on viewing

Tell them that they cant surely haggle on the price of the car without them seeing it first, as above, you would have priced the car as to what its worth, possibly slighlty over priced, but doesnt everyone do that for haggling reasons???

All you need to say is that you are open to negotiation, but will not be taking any silly offers, if they really want the car, they will come for it mate.