Need a little help with upgraded bulbs

How much are we looking at for a replacement set of Xenons? Seen a few posts on here about uprated Xenons that have tempted me!

Hi guys!

Need a liitle advice on whether the bulbs below are any good??? -Or can you suggest better????

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-W5W-Osram-Halogen-Cool-Blue-Sidelights.html

Over the summer i hardly drove at night, however was reminded last night how poor standard main beam vision (with original bulbs) is at night.

Thanks for any help! :icon_thumright:

Apolgies gents (and ladies). Just checked my original post and the link was incorrect. It is the main beam lights I'm after and not side lights!

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h4-bulbs.html

have fitted a pair of H7 osram nightbrakers for highbeam in my facelift S3 and some simple LED sidelight bulbs as hadd them lying around. impressed so far :)

no.... other wise i would sponser the site.... and i sponser 5 sites already i come on hear as i own a audi a3, 1.8 turbo and i am having major work done to it.....

so far i havnt had to much help... but that doesn't matter...

i am saying that if you or any other member was looking for some bulbs pop over to that site and send a email

Can you stop hi-jacking my thread please! PEOPLE! Please ignore this ignoramus and post your wonderful words of wisdom HERE :undwech:

I'm probably playing the stupid card but what the hell!

I need a main beam replacement bulb for the car. (i.e normal driving at night and not high beam -dazzling the crap out of everyone bulb!). I assumed I needed an H4 bulb, until i went onto this website and apparently it's an H7. What -if any, is the difference?????

www.powerbulbs.com

going for an osram nightbreaker or high performing phillips. thanks for the help!

Dipped beam = Normal every day driving lights you use all the time.
Main beam = Extra bright light for when driving alone in the dark.

I think the bulbs you are wanting to change are the dipped beam ones. These are indeed D2S bulbs, which are very fiddly to change. There's not much you can do to improve the light output with the S3, the bulbs you have in at the moment give the most light. The problem with the S3 is that the actual projectors are complete crap. You could try and raise the beam level a few turns so the light spreads out further, but beyond that there's not much that'll help.

I changed my D2S a few month ago not too hard, you can pull the head light out held by the screws on the top, and it would make things a lot quicker! I bought a set on ebay, very happy with it, went for 6000K, but you could also choose 8000K which is bluer, changed mine as it lost the colour after 8 years use was more yellowish. hope it helps,:racer:

I changed my D2S a few month ago not too hard, you can pull the head light out held by the screws on the top, and it would make things a lot quicker! I bought a set on ebay, very happy with it, went for 6000K, but you could also choose 8000K which is bluer, changed mine as it lost the colour after 8 years use was more yellowish. hope it helps,:racer:

thanks for the replies.

did you notice a good level of improvement with the 6K's??? -over what were (presumably) original 4300K bulbs??

I'll take any improvement on the poor vision I have at present, what i currently have really don't fill me confidence!

Well they look much better, to what it was, as for brightness not a huge difference but certainly noticed some improvements.

thanks for the replies.

did you notice a good level of improvement with the 6K's??? -over what were (presumably) original 4300K bulbs??

I'll take any improvement on the poor vision I have at present, what i currently have really don't fill me confidence!

Like I said previously, the higher the colour temperature of the bulb the lower the light output (measured in lumens). Optimum temperature is between 4300k - 4700k, which is what ALL manufacturers use from the factory, any purple or blue that you see is because of the projector and has nothing to do with the bulb.

I have 5000k and these are probably the highest you can go without sacrificing usability. The whole point of xenons is to increase safety by being able to see further and wider, with a concentrated area of light.

The S3 projectors are cloudy and have a poor cut off which is why people complain about not being able to see at night, changing your bulbs to 6k or 8k will only produce more glare and tire out your eyes on long journeys.

5k is a good compromise as you get pure white light and still get very good light output. I've got these in mine and have raised the beam a little bit and it's certainly improved things.

Like I said previously, the higher the colour temperature of the bulb the lower the light output (measured in lumens). Optimum temperature is between 4300k - 4700k, which is what ALL manufacturers use from the factory, any purple or blue that you see is because of the projector and has nothing to do with the bulb.

I have 5000k and these are probably the highest you can go without sacrificing usability. The whole point of xenons is to increase safety by being able to see further and wider, with a concentrated area of light.

The S3 projectors are cloudy and have a poor cut off which is why people complain about not being able to see at night, changing your bulbs to 6k or 8k will only produce more glare and tire out your eyes on long journeys.

5k is a good compromise as you get pure white light and still get very good light output. I've got these in mine and have raised the beam a little bit and it's certainly improved things.

Cheers squire. You sound like a man in the know! :icon_thumright: