need a gearbox...who can help

evilbenson

Reaction score
hi all, im new here as i dont own an audi...hell....i dont even own a car cos im now disabled but a mate of mine does, hes got an audi a4 i think but its a 5 speed and he races it often, wekl he sprints it and hes looking for a 6 speed box.
i offered to locate him a box but had no luck online so ive come to the people who know...thats you guys....he said he need a audi a4 B5 6 speed 1.8T 1995/2000.......can anybody help me cos hes a good guy and i like to see good guys get rewarded.....any and all help will be greatly recieved

Will find out for you tomorrow mate. I work in a breakers yard/garage and we have a a4 in atm, im just jot sure on the spec

The grass isn't always greener, hopefully Aragorn or JCB will be along shortly to tell you about their moves from decent working 5 speed boxes to the problem ridden 6speed 01E boxes from the S4. I've had 3 now, and all of them have had crappy synchros.

second that.. have to skip 3rd in my S4 until its warm..
my A4 Gbox on the other hand is absolutely solid and has put it with the biggest amount of abuse ever, and then ive got a virtually brand new spare box for it too...

I think if its FWD your only option is a S4 box with the centre diff welded up and the driveshft flanges changed to one that will take the driveshafts of a 76mm bearing, again as above aragorn the man for this subject !!

There are 6 speed FWD boxes used on the B5, but i think they have derv ratios, so arent much use on a petrol.

S4 box with a welded diff would work, but its a REALLY heavy box compared with a 5 speed FWD one, i'd recon twice the weight, which is somewhat excessive really.

There might be some 6 speed B6 models that came with an 01E you could use, but otherwise you'd be looking to buy a later 01x or 0a2 box and fabricating mounts and things for it. Never really looked down that path, so you might find its pretty easy, or it might be a total nightmare.

As was discussed above, the S4 6 speed has synchro issues. Which is a shame, as its actually a really nicely geared box, which i prefer over the original TQS gearing and over the much longer FWD 1.8T box.