Need a bit of assistance with Airbag light on after removing Slip Ring

jaybv6

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm doing a MFSW installation on my 06 B7 DTM and I wanted to see what slip ring I had installed (as looking at the config on VCDS it has the settings enabled for MFSW previously although not now fitted and I wanted to see if the right slip ring was fitted). I removed the slip ring to see what the part number was and then reconnected it. Since I did this the airbag light has been illuminated on the dash. I've checked the connections for the slip ring, the airbag loom etc and all looks ok. I got the standard ESP light on which wet out after the usual little drive and turning the wheel left to right. Before doing this I had a fully working Airbag and Steering wheel/slip ring (i.e. no codes or MIL). I've cleared the codes and the error comes back. I've also fitted a replacement slip ring (4E0 953 541 A) and the error still persists (see below)

2 Faults Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Time Indication: 0
01587 - Igniter 2 for Airbag; Drivers Side (N250)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Time Indication: 0

Is there a re-calibration I need to do after removing the slip ring? If not has anyone else experienced this and fixed it? Any help appreciated.

You're absolutely correct in that you need to recalibrate the steering angle sensor when reconnecting. Although the error codes themselves seem to contradict that statement.

Thanks. I have looked at the re calibration process and have yet to run through this but was hoping that someone more knowledgable than me on this might have experienced this. Seeing as nothing changed apart from initially removing my slip ring I'm trying to understand why the light would have stayed on. Unless that is something has got damaged in the process but everything looks fine in the connector area.

An update. Still no wiser as to how to fix this. Replaced the Slip Ring, connector wire and still have the same issue. Only thing left to try is another airbag to see if that's the culprit. Anyone else had an airbag fail on them? Could it be the control unit that the slip ring connects into?

Sorry for reviving an old thread but could anyone provide a definitive solution as i am experiencing exactly the same fault

Many thanks

For me it was down to when I put my slip ring back in place. The main connector at the rear was not plugged in fully. Removed it again and made sure it clicked in place and then reset the error and all was then ok.

Think i will have to take it all apart again

How did you reset it? Cheers

I have the full rosstech vcds so was easy enough for me.