Navigation Database Unavailable

AdamInKent

Reaction score
Hi all.
I had a new (for me) MMI fault this evening. On the journey out, I used the built in navigation and everything worked normally. On the way back, on switching on the car, I got a “Navigation Database Unavailable” message in all the navigation screens. Thank goodness for Apple CarPlay (first time I’ve needed to use it). Has anyone else had this? Have you worked out the trigger?
BF9191D0 019D 420C 9B0F D6F87C0B06F9

Hi all.
I had a new (for me) MMI fault this evening. On the journey out, I used the built in navigation and everything worked normally. On the way back, on switching on the car, I got a “Navigation Database Unavailable” message in all the navigation screens. Thank goodness for Apple CarPlay (first time I’ve needed to use it). Has anyone else had this? Have you worked out the trigger?
View attachment 241634
I had it once, and a few mins after MMI locked up and dash etc all rebooted then started working again. No idea what caused it.

Reactions: AdamInKent
The only time I've had that was when the dealer rebooted my car and didn't load the new software up in stages which meant I lost all connected services, maps and cruise control.

Never had that without the dealer instigating it though...

24 hours later and the fault has not cleared. I am beginning to wonder if the map data has been corrupted. (Perhaps coincidentally I am also not able to access the online manuals.)

I’m not impressed with either the Roadside Assistance or Audi Digital Support helplines, neither of which appears to be picking up the phone. I’ve sent an email to the latter, who have responded that there may be a delay due to high demand.

Can anyone please point me towards the instructions for rebooting the MMI or reloading the maps?

Reactions: RS3 S.
24 hours later and the fault has not cleared. I am beginning to wonder if the map data has been corrupted. (Perhaps coincidentally I am also not able to access the online manuals.)

I’m not impressed with either the Roadside Assistance or Audi Digital Support helplines, neither of which appears to be picking up the phone. I’ve sent an email to the latter, who have responded that there may be a delay due to high demand.

Can anyone please point me towards the instructions for rebooting the MMI or reloading the maps?
DJAlix on here is the man to contact & sort you out.

I have had this problem for months actually but never paid any attention to it because I thought the car recognized when there was an Apple Carplay Phone connected and favored this system over it's own. I've not had any of the dreaded MMI issues other than this so I'm a bit reluctant to take it to the dealer for them to try and update or reset in case it changes the firmware version. Will be following this with interest.

When I got into the car this afternoon, the fault had cleared itself and the sat nav was back to normal. (Or Audi Digital fixed it without replying to my email?) Slightly annoyingly, it was after I’d bought a new USB A/USB C Memory stick to upload the map database, on the assumption that it had somehow corrupted.

Hopefully it’s a one off. One final note of interest: when I drove the car yesterday, whilst the fault was still showing, the car was able to give verbal navigation instructions, even whilst not being able to show any maps, after I’d sent my destination from the My Audi app on my phone. Which would suggest that the maps were still there, but for some reason the car couldn’t display them?

I downloaded the map off myAudi and put it on the USB stick and plugged it in. Got to 5% and then said there was a fault and it cancelled the installation. Tried it numerous times and done a factory reset to no avail

• Wow
I downloaded the map off myAudi and put it on the USB stick and plugged it in. Got to 5% and then said there was a fault and it cancelled the installation. Tried it numerous times and done a factory reset to no avail
Did you get this sorted by any chance?

Mine's doing the same thing (21reg TfSi e). I haven't tried to update maps via USB yet, but if it did work, I may give it a try.

Did you get this sorted by any chance?

Mine's doing the same thing (21reg TfSi e). I haven't tried to update maps via USB yet, but if it did work, I may give it a try.
nope. ended up selling the car on before i fixed it

Just to add to this, I had a service at Watford Audi who were unable to fix the issue. It apparently needs a software update, which isn't available at the moment.

Just to add to this, I had a service at Watford Audi who were unable to fix the issue. It apparently needs a software update, which isn't available at the moment.
That’s strange, I had this issue that wouldn’t resolve itself, amongst a few others.

it was fixed when my software got updated to version 3620.

I've had this "Navigation database unavailable" fault for the past week. It doesn't seem to be resolving itself, and rebooting the MMI hasn't fixed it either. It's like the Nav database doesn't exist anymore.

Phoned up my dealer to book it in for the software update which I hope will resolve it. They could offer me an appointment in January!!!!! 3 months, for crying out loud!!!!!!

Apparently it requires a " master technician" and that's when the first one is available. I suggest they should recruit another master technician, if that's the case. I guess they're booked up on fixing various MMI faults and increasingly with EV work.

I've had this "Navigation database unavailable" fault for the past week. It doesn't seem to be resolving itself, and rebooting the MMI hasn't fixed it either. It's like the Nav database doesn't exist anymore.

Phoned up my dealer to book it in for the software update which I hope will resolve it. They could offer me an appointment in January!!!!! 3 months, for crying out loud!!!!!!

Apparently it requires a " master technician" and that's when the first one is available. I suggest they should recruit another master technician, if that's the case. I guess they're booked up on fixing various MMI faults and increasingly with EV work.

Around the same time, my navigation stopped working also. My guess is that map update pushed online was corrupted and didn't update successfully. I tried to install map updates manually (downloaded maps through my.audi.com), but I get error "Installation failed.".

If I go to setting version information, you can see that "Navigation database" is empty ("___") and version of database is not shown. I was looking how to delete map database completely and reinstall it, but I guess only solution for this is to reinstall whole software (or software update) through the dealer... but this is really annoying, what if this repeats every 6 months for example? This is gonna be costly.

IMG 6902

I would use carplay google maps, BUT because of this navigation failure also traffic sign recognition doesn't work properly (I believe if you have adaptive cruise control, you gonna have problems too) and that sucks!

Just to update on this. I was able to install the map update which I downloaded from the My Audi website. It was a 32GB zip file. Unzipped the files and copied onto a USB stick. Plugged into the USB port and when starting the car I got a message on the MMI about software update medium detected, or words to that effect. I then had to wait a few minutes until a "ready to install" message appeared, then I let it start installing. It takes a while, I think probably about 2 hours in total, and the install pauses if you turn the ignition off. However, I left the USB stick plugged in, and the next time I started the car again it resumed where it left off.

Just to update on this. I was able to install the map update which I downloaded from the My Audi website. It was a 32GB zip file. Unzipped the files and copied onto a USB stick. Plugged into the USB port and when starting the car I got a message on the MMI about software update medium detected, or words to that effect. I then had to wait a few minutes until a "ready to install" message appeared, then I let it start installing. It takes a while, I think probably about 2 hours in total, and the install pauses if you turn the ignition off. However, I left the USB stick plugged in, and the next time I started the car again it resumed where it left off.

Yeah, I don't have that luck I guess. First time I tried installed maps manually it installed 10% and threw error "Installations failed". I tried again, but now it throws that error immediately at 0%.

• Wow
Yeah, I don't have that luck I guess. First time I tried installed maps manually it installed 10% and threw error "Installations failed". I tried again, but now it throws that error immediately at 0%.
Hi, Did you manage to get this resolved. I done exactly as above but keep getting the installation failed also?