Nav question.

I used a modified metainfo2.txt file with the Q7 767 firmware. There is some information on a German forum digital eliteboard about conversion of the A8 5F unit, the problem I found is they are not very help full even if you try and post in German, and some of the posts with the useful conversion information have been deleted. So I gave up asking and made my own file. Another way is to buy a Q7 5F module and change the faceplate, the downside is you have to find an A6 or A8 faceplate.

3G+ appears to be a popular retrofit in Germany & Russia but I found very little information on English forums. I'll do a full write-up once I'm finished.
No need to replace front plate on Q7 unit you can just cut off edges as I did it.
IMG 4021
IMG 4023

Reactions: B5NUT
I managed to find another unit for a good price part number 4E0 035 666 F.
I hooked it up but the unit gets stuck on this screen , any idea of what is happening?
MMI

Looks like the firmware is bricked. You need to get hold of the latest US MMI 3G software, put that on an SD card and insert into slot 1 and allow the reboot. It should do an emergency software update.

Reactions: RoyC
I can`t get this unit to do anything , even tried the European firmware.

Have a look in the metainfo2.txt file, make sure you see variant = "9307" (there could be a number next to variant) If you don't see your variant listed in the metainfo2.txt file the bootloader won't load the software.

One other thing to try, if you do have the correct firmware then try coping it to a CD and trying the update, as in emergency mode it may only read from the CD drive.

I`ve tried HNav_US_K0114_1_D1_(A4-A5-Q5-A6-Q7-A8) with 9307 in the meta file on both dvd and sd but no go.

There is another way but you have to dismantle the unit!

I got something going on a cd not dvd but it is not positive news "metainfo CRC error".

Think your only option now is the scribd document, I've never done it but other people have and it's worked.

I finally was able to load a firmware but it only accepted HNav_EU_K0031_3_D1 so now i have to figure a way to load a North American firmware if possible.
What is the baud rate on this unit?

Go into the green menu and select both options shown below, not just user defined.
Screen_0_120830_1932_1732.png

Exit the menu (press the radio key for example, do not reboot)

Go into the software update screen and you then should have the option for user defined update. At this point you should be able to select software for the MU, I don't know if you need to select updates for other options as I've never done the conversion, but I guess you could update the other options if you find things are not working, or once the MU is on the US version and complete a standard update.

Go into the green menu and select both options shown below, not just user defined.
Screen_0_120830_1932_1732.png

Exit the menu (press the radio key for example, do not reboot)

Go into the software update screen and you then should have the option for user defined update. At this point you should be able to select software for the MU, I don't know if you need to select updates for other options as I've never done the conversion, but I guess you could update the other options if you find things are not working, or once the MU is on the US version and complete a standard update.
Thanks for the reply B5NUT but my control panel doesn`t work and the bite 14 trick is a no go so i am stuck again.
This unit being a 4E0 035 666 F only has 18 bites of coding.
Also would you know the pin layout for the 8 pin connector of the LVDS , i think only 2 pins are used.

Thank you so much B5NUT i got it going.
Couple of issues , no sound from the fm radio and lost the sirius radio.

I got the unit to recognize Sirius but still no sound on anything , could that be from the component protection?

I do have VCDS.
Funny thing is when i go into the sound menu and adjust in car entertainment fader the sound works.
As soon as i leave that menu it stops.
IMG 0789

Did you remove component protection? If not I think that this is the reason.

Component protection is still there , i think that is the cause of the problem too.
Also when i turn the volume up on the ent fader , it`s not as loud as it was before.

That's a fair point, I was under the assumption that you have already removed CP from the new 5F unit, if you have not then that is why you don't have any sound, as johny2202 has said.

I went to the dealer and removed the CP and everything worked fine but the sound controls like the treble bass and sub would reset every time i would restart the car.So i updated the North American version for the firmware again but now my Nav data is blocked.I don`t know how a firmware rewrite would destroy the navigation database or licence.
This was a European unit so i loaded the North American firmware and swapped the hard drive from a different unit with the American maps and it worked perfect until the rewrite.Also in the picture
NAV5
what does the "P" by the telephone signal stand for?

I went to the dealer and removed the CP and everything worked fine but the sound controls like the treble bass and sub would reset every time i would restart the car.So i updated the North American version for the firmware again but now my Nav data is blocked.I don`t know how a firmware rewrite would destroy the navigation database or licence.
This was a European unit so i loaded the North American firmware and swapped the hard drive from a different unit with the American maps and it worked perfect until the rewrite.Also in the picture View attachment 49925 what does the "P" by the telephone signal stand for?
Component Protection?

Yes, firmware update will cause the maps to need reactivating, go on gps underground for a solution.

No idea on the P.....

Last edited:
New problem , every time i load the North American firmware the menu gets all screwed.I am trying to find a newer firmware with no luck , not much out there for North America.Any idea what would cause this?
MMI1

Attachments

• MMI.JPG
    MMI.JPG
    723 KB · Views: 715
I finally got rid of the blind menu by the eeprom way with VCP , figured out later that it can be done with otis if you have the security code, oh well added another cable to my collection.
Anyway i decided to complete the project and get a control panel with the mouse(high).
Found one on ebay for a fair price , installed it but my system doesn`t communicate with it , get 00658-control head 004.
Do i need to change coding or baud rate for this unit to work or is it just a faulty panel?

Yes, you need to go into the hidden / engineering menu and set the correct Baud rates as shown below.

NOTE OF WARNING.... If you set the incorrect baud rate for the new panel then you will be locked out of the MMI system, until you get a panel that will work with that baud rate. Best find the correct baud rate for that panel first.

This is the bard rate for the 2G MMI control panel to work in MMI 3G & 3GP
WP_20141124_004_zps37723351.jpg

I`ve installed the 4F1919611T unit which i think is the same baud rate as my old one without the mouse 4F1919611N but not sure.

The mouse version has a different baud rate but I'm not sure what it is.

So put the old one back to be able to access the green menu to change the baud rate?

Yes, you need to go into the hidden / engineering menu and set the correct Baud rates as shown below.

NOTE OF WARNING.... If you set the incorrect baud rate for the new panel then you will be locked out of the MMI system, until you get a panel that will work with that baud rate. Best find the correct baud rate for that panel first.

This is the bard rate for the 2G MMI control panel to work in MMI 3G & 3GP
WP_20141124_004_zps37723351.jpg
I don`t have this in my green menu and on the top left corner mine is (EM 0.8k).

Last edited:
I'm running MMI 3GP so I guess my menu system is different. It may be in another menu but without having a 3G system, I'm not sure where the option is.

The problem wasn`t the baud rate but the board was faulty , so instead of taking my chances on another unit of ebay , i found brand new bare boards on Alibaba for $86 shipping included.

Reactions: B5NUT
Could somebody help with this fault , goggle doesn`t bring up much info.
02257 - Remote Control Receiver
014 - Defective
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101110
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 28
Reset counter: 253
Mileage: 118798 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.04.09
Time: 14:02:31

What module is that on, and is that error causing any problems?

What module is that on, and is that error causing any problems?
It doesn`t affect anything as far as i could tell , the fault shows up when i scan the MMI 5F.
Maybe the battery in the key fob or the garage door opener , but don`t have that option on the car.

I finally got rid of the blind menu by the eeprom way with VCP , figured out later that it can be done with otis if you have the security code, oh well added another cable to my collection.
Anyway i decided to complete the project and get a control panel with the mouse(high).
Found one on ebay for a fair price , installed it but my system doesn`t communicate with it , get 00658-control head 004.
Do i need to change coding or baud rate for this unit to work or is it just a faulty panel?

have the same problem here.
do you know the sec code?