Nav question.

So BT could have been retrofitted, but to confirm put you PR codes in a decoder to see what options were fitted to your car from factory. You can find your PR codes in the service book or a sticker near where the battery is.

I'm not sure but think that 4H0 main unit will not work in A6. What color is other two connectors from roof antenna?

I'm not sure but think that 4H0 main unit will not work in A6. What color is other two connectors from roof antenna?
Not sure , couldn`t get them loose to see the connection color but i presume one is the satellite radio and the other FM radio maybe?

So BT could have been retrofitted, but to confirm put you PR codes in a decoder to see what options were fitted to your car from factory. You can find your PR codes in the service book or a sticker near where the battery is.
There is no mention of BT in the PR codes.

FM radio antenna is in rear side glass and in rear glass it's never in shark antenna

FM radio antenna is in rear side glass and in rear glass it's never in shark antenna
I am going to have to pull off the rear roof trim again to have a better look but i know that the two in question run down the driver`s side rear pillar where the one i took a picture of runs down the passenger side.

When you say no mention you are talking about the converted PR codes You can convert them here http://www.audienthusiasts.com/articles_prcodes.html

US have a Sat radio option so on the sharkfin there should be 4 connectors white, black, red & blue. like the one shown here http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-11-AUDI-A6-AVANT-C6-3-2-ROOF-ANTENNA-SHARK-FIN-LIGHT-SILVER-METALLIC-/151471782698?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:A6&hash=item23446bfb2a&vxp=mtr

You can get a 4H0 unit to work in an A6 you just have to change the car type, plus other setting in the hidden menu.
Which option should i be looking for in the codes?
Also to get into the hidden menu do i need the Vag-com?

The 4H0035664 came but it has no pink connector , would this connector be for the lcd screen?
IMG 0693

I'm not near elsawin at the moment, but I believe the gray connector near to the quad lock connector is for the screen.

Is the grey connector for a 3G high screen and my pink connector for a low?

Pin assignment for control unit 1 for information electronics -J794-
Control unit 1 for information electronics -J794-
1 - GSM connection, from roof aerial -R216-
2 - Connection block with four multi-pin connectors
3 - MOST bus
4 - FBAS input from TV tuner -R78- / DVD changer -R161-
5 - 4-pin connector -T4co- to display unit for front information display and operating unit control unit -J685-
6 - 4-pin connector -T4cn- to connection for external audio sources -R199-
7 - GPS connection, from roof aerial -R216-

RMImageAction

Pin assignment for control unit 1 for information electronics -J794-
Control unit 1 for information electronics -J794-
1 - GSM connection, from roof aerial -R216-
2 - Connection block with four multi-pin connectors
3 - MOST bus
4 - FBAS input from TV tuner -R78- / DVD changer -R161-
5 - 4-pin connector -T4co- to display unit for front information display and operating unit control unit -J685-
6 - 4-pin connector -T4cn- to connection for external audio sources -R199-
7 - GPS connection, from roof aerial -R216-

RMImageAction
Thanks for the pin assignment , but did you post a picture too?

Could be pink is low does the connector fit the gray plug? My unit should be running the lager 8" display, but is working fine on the 7" one. If it does not fit then you would need to upgrade to the 7" display and you could just modify the current LVDS cable you already have have rather then buy a new LVDS cable.

Link to a pick of the 5F unit http://www.audi-portal.com/en/diagnostic/ecu_13048.html

Could be pink is low does the connector fit the gray plug? My unit should be running the lager 8" display, but is working fine on the 7" one. If it does not fit then you would need to upgrade to the 7" display and you could just modify the current LVDS cable you already have have rather then buy a new LVDS cable.

Link to a pick of the 5F unit http://www.audi-portal.com/en/diagnostic/ecu_13048.html
First of all thanks for the link it helped a lot.
The pink connector did not fit so i cut a rib of of it and it fits but i can only see the top left of the display.
My display must be smaller than 7".

I took the cover off and under the DVD drive mechanism is a hard drive so it`s a 3G high.
Is all the Nav data stored on the hard drive?Would i need an activation SD card.When I plug it in i can see the top left screen of the radio presets covering the full display and then it switches to a message , something like "some feature are unavailable" and none of the buttons by the gear shift light up.My car being a 3G low what else would i need to convert it to 3G High?

good news on getting the hdd version, yes the maps are stored on the hdd. the unit will be in component protection and that will need to be remove by your local audi dealer. You need to get the 7" display & instrument cluster trim (you should find both on ebay) I would fit the screen & trim before having CP removed.

Does anybody know what coding needs to be done in VCDS to get this A8 unit to work in my A6?

good news on getting the hdd version, yes the maps are stored on the hdd. the unit will be in component protection and that will need to be remove by your local audi dealer. You need to get the 7" display & instrument cluster trim (you should find both on ebay) I would fit the screen & trim before having CP removed.
When you started the system up before the removal of the protection , did the buttons around the shifter work?

Did you get an A6 unit in the end or did you install the A8 unit, as the A8 unit may use a different baud rate to take to the control panel, I know it does on the 3G+ units.

Did you get an A6 unit in the end or did you install the A8 unit, as the A8 unit may use a different baud rate to take to the control panel, I know it does on the 3G+ units.
I am trying the A8 unit first.
How could i find out for sure if it is compatible?

Last edited:
The baud rate will be wrong, you would need to somehow change this, It may be possible with VCDS but can be done with the green menu

VCDS can`t communicate with the unit anymore and the display does not show anything.
Is it bricked or something to do with CP?

CP does not affect diagnostic communication and you should get something on the screen regardless of CP.

CP does not affect diagnostic communication and you should get something on the screen regardless of CP.
Would my old unit work with the 7" screen , i want to put everything back until i find a 3G High unit for the A6 on ebay?

Slowly, I've got MMI 3G+ installed but still need to update a few modules in the car to get everything working
WP_20141205_001_zps5add912b.jpg

Great stuff - MMI envy......

Did you change your dash trim to fit the 7" screen Lee?

M

I already had a trim that fitted the 7" as I had MMI 2G High but I had to change the screen, from the 2G to the 3G screen, its easy enough to remove the instrument cluster trim.

Slowly, I've got MMI 3G+ installed but still need to update a few modules in the car to get everything working
WP_20141205_001_zps5add912b.jpg
That looks nice , which unit are you trying to retrofit?

The module is from a D4 A8, but it's been converted to run Q7 MMI 3G+ software, to make it compatible with the C6 A6.

I already had a trim that fitted the 7" as I had MMI 2G High but I had to change the screen, from the 2G to the 3G screen, its easy enough to remove the instrument cluster trim.

Thanks. I'm struggling to find the trim I need, well cheaply any way. Think I'm going to have to order it from a dealer.

Lost out on a screen just before Christmas and they're currently going for £150 so it may be a while until I have everything to fit the HDD unit.

The module is from a D4 A8, but it's been converted to run Q7 MMI 3G+ software, to make it compatible with the C6 A6.
Did you converted yourself?
Did you use a script on an sd card?

I used a modified metainfo2.txt file with the Q7 767 firmware. There is some information on a German forum digital eliteboard about conversion of the A8 5F unit, the problem I found is they are not very help full even if you try and post in German, and some of the posts with the useful conversion information have been deleted. So I gave up asking and made my own file. Another way is to buy a Q7 5F module and change the faceplate, the downside is you have to find an A6 or A8 faceplate.

3G+ appears to be a popular retrofit in Germany & Russia but I found very little information on English forums. I'll do a full write-up once I'm finished.

I used a modified metainfo2.txt file with the Q7 767 firmware. There is some information on a German forum digital eliteboard about conversion of the A8 5F unit, the problem I found is they are not very help full even if you try and post in German, and some of the posts with the useful conversion information have been deleted. So I gave up asking and made my own file. Another way is to buy a Q7 5F module and change the faceplate, the downside is you have to find an A6 or A8 faceplate.

3G+ appears to be a popular retrofit in Germany & Russia but I found very little information on English forums. I'll do a full write-up once I'm finished.
I have been to that site but goggle translate really sucks.
Keep at it , you shall prevail.
Can`t wait for the write-up.

The problem I find with google translate is it destroys the formatting of the post, and makes it difficult to read. There is not much to do on my install, I just replace the can-gateway and sort out the alternator, which I hope will get done next weekend.