Nav question.

Rob Band

Reaction score
I have a 2010 A6 with the dvd and cd changer in the glove compartment , also have the shark fin antenna.
I have the nav button but not the option.What would i have to get to have the nav option?

Attachments

• Nav.JPG
    Nav.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 547
  • Nav2.JPG
    Nav2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 525
  • Nav3.JPG
    Nav3.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 495
Do you know if you have the DVD in the unit in the left of your glovebox?

It looks as though you may have an error of some sort. Do you know anyone with VCDS who can run a scan for you?

Do you know if you have the DVD in the unit in the left of your glovebox?

It looks as though you may have an error of some sort. Do you know anyone with VCDS who can run a scan for you?
I think it is a cd player only , i`ve tried burnt Dvd`s but it won`t read them.

According to the sticker , it is not installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 512
Ok, from my limited knowledge!!

The left unit is a DVD player but not one that can be used to play normal DVDs (that's only supported on 3GMMI HDD versions or 3G+ but someone may confirm)

The Sat Nav in your car is DVD based and so for it to work you'll need a dis in the drive (or by using the maps loaded onto a SD card). Without either your Sat Nav won't work.

Hope this helps.

So i would need a nav dvd for the 3g system or a big SD card loaded with all the data?
And probably a serial key to activate the Nav option?

Need to find out if you have a problem first - have never seen the message in your photo - hope someone else can help out......

I have Nav and if the disc isn't in I get a cometely different message, along the lines of No Navigation Media loaded or something like that.

Need to find out if you have a problem first - have never seen the message in your photo - hope someone else can help out......

I have Nav and if the disc isn't in I get a cometely different message, along the lines of No Navigation Media loaded or something like that.
I think what you will need is a replacement MultiMedia unit that has the 3G DVD Navigation Unit inside, yours I think is missing it. Initially, in the UK, only the 2.0 TDie (SE spec and above) had the Navigation as standard on all other models it was an option. I think the unit you have will play CDs but it only works with the Navigation DVD.

I think what you will need is a replacement MultiMedia unit that has the 3G DVD Navigation Unit inside, yours I think is missing it. Initially, in the UK, only the 2.0 TDie (SE spec and above) had the Navigation as standard on all other models it was an option. I think the unit you have will play CDs but it only works with the Navigation DVD.
I don`t know if it makes a difference but it`s a Canadian car , anyway i have a feeling that you might be right.

Maybe i will remove it and check the part number on it.

That unit will support navigation, but you need the SD maps and they would need to be activated. I would get hold of the latest MMI 3G firwmware (non HDD version) and get hold of the 2014 SD maps and the activation file, google gps underground, I'm not posting any direct link up as the post would just be deleted. Be aware that firmware updates can fail and turn modules into bricks, and there are also map activation files that malware and will damage the firmware on your unit. It can be recovered but you have to dismantle the unit and upload the firmware via a serial connection on the mainboard (it's all rather complicated, and I've never done it)

Reactions: Gaz170
That unit will support navigation, but you need the SD maps and they would need to be activated. I would get hold of the latest MMI 3G firwmware (non HDD version) and get hold of the 2014 SD maps and the activation file, google gps underground, I'm not posting any direct link up as the post would just be deleted. Be aware that firmware updates can fail and turn modules into bricks, and there are also map activation files that malware and will damage the firmware on your unit. It can be recovered but you have to dismantle the unit and upload the firmware via a serial connection on the mainboard (it's all rather complicated, and I've never done it)
Is this software old?

Attachments

• Nav4 (2).JPG
    Nav4 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 466
  • Nav6.JPG
    Nav6.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 461
I'm not sure on US MMI 3G versions, but the date 2009 and that version look about right.

Reactions: Gaz170
According to somebody from GPS Underground my unit does not support nav , are there more versions of this unit?
ScreenShot068 zps251c86c9

Only one way to sort that mate is find usa /canadian map pack 3G Basic for 2009 burn a disc or throw it on 8gb sd card try it .
If it works you can go about finding the latest for your region but i will state needs to be for MMI 3G Basic

Reactions: Rob Band
The problem with etka it does not state what modules can be upgraded to support different functions like nav, bt, ami, etc.

Reactions: Rob Band
Hi, I think that there is no option with this unit (4E0035648), because there is not plug for GPS antenna.

Reactions: gupsterg and Rob Band
Hi, I think that there is no option with this unit (4E0035648), because there is not plug for GPS antenna.
It looks like it has the antenna connection.

Attachments

• nav7.JPG
    nav7.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 444
No it's missing, the GPS antenna should be a blue connector near where your finger is. So that unit will not support navigation.

Reactions: gupsterg and Rob Band
These two connectors are one for display second for AMI I think

Reactions: gupsterg, B5NUT and Rob Band
So it would be expensive then to retrofit for nav then?
Thanks for all your inputs guys.

You would need to replace that unit. Depends on what you class as expensive you could pickup a replacement unit with nav enabled for around £150 on wards depending on specification.

You would need to replace that unit. Depends on what you class as expensive you could pickup a replacement unit with nav enabled for around £150 on wards depending on specification.
Would you know what part number would it be.
Do i need to run antena cable from the shark fin on the roof?

Yes you would need a fakra cable you can buy them on ebay. Part number is 4E0035664 (no suffix) or with suffix of either X, A, AX, B, BX

Yes you would need a fakra cable you can buy them on ebay. Part number is 4E0035664 (no suffix) or with suffix of either X, A, AX, B, BX
B5NUT ,thanks for the part number , i wil look for one on ebay.

Damn , bought the 4H0035664 by mistake .
I think it is for an A8 , would it still work with my A6?

I found three cables coming from the Shark fin , one is not connected to anything please see picture.
Could i used it for the nav connection?
Nav8

No, that is for the telephone. The navigation connector is Blue.

That`s odd , the phone works good and the cable is not connected to anything , weird.

I know it's BT but I'm sure you get the cradle in the armrest on 3G like you do on the 2G setup, but could be wrong about that. it could be that your 3G BT setup has been retrofitted.

I know it's BT but I'm sure you get the cradle in the armrest on 3G like you do on the 2G setup, but could be wrong about that. it could be that your 3G BT setup has been retrofitted.
There is nothing in the armrest.If i run a line from the blue fakra connection on the DVD to that cable would it pick up the gps signal from the satellites?

If there is a blue connector on the sharkfin then yes you can do that, but you cannot connect the gps connector on the navigation unit to the red connector in your picture.

If there is a blue connector on the sharkfin then yes you can do that, but you cannot connect the gps connector on the navigation unit to the red connector in your picture.
Unfortunately i don`t have a blue one from the shark fin , i guess i will use an outside source.
Do you thinks the 4H0035664 which is for an A8 will work with my car?

Remember this is a Canadian spec car not UK so things will be different. Even on the facelift cars the Phone Prep - Low which gave you the mounting points in the armrest for the phone cradle were offered as an option as was Navigation (the TDie SE/S-Line had both as standard) it was only later in 2009 that these were made standard across all SE and S-Line models. On the C6 Bluetooth uses the phone's aerial not the cars unless you use the dock and even then with phones like the iPhone it still uses the phone aerial as their is no external aerial connection on the iPhone port and the phone does not support rSAP (not sure but it may be that if the phone supports rSAP then a bluetooth connected phone may transfer to the car as it does on the C7)

Forgot to mention that the car is the S-Line production date Oct 2009.