Nav inaccuracy at destination

WeeDram

Reaction score
I find the Nav system is accurate when it says to "turn left/right now", but when I'm approaching a destination address it often tells me I have 200-250 metres remaining when I'm already on top of it. I often miss unfamiliar destinations and have to turn around. Anybody else notice this?

not had this once, it does annoy me how it takes slower routes though.. sometimes i dont cancel it when i know where i am and taking the roads i know can cut down the etc by 10 mins or so

Found mine quite good so far but not used it too often I have to admit.

Do the distance announcements tie in with the count down blocks shown in the DIS ? I generally go be this rather than the announcements.

I dont normallt listen to mine, just look at the display haha

To be honest I haven't found too many sat nav's that don't do this!! I always see it as a bonus if they take you right to the door :)

I'm sure I remember reading elsewhere that it's usually down to a quirk with postcodes so doubt it's anything hardware or software related ;)

I've found some postcode destinations are miles out?

Reactions: Simon L
I've found some postcode destinations are miles out?

Likewise mate, Google maps has sent me half a block away on several occasions!! Lol

Interesting - may depend on which Nav system you have fitted. My wife has the SD card Nav system in her A1, and it does exactly what you describe - I have the version "up" from that in my S3 and not had an issue.

I was wondering whether one is able to re-align (oneself) on the satellites - used to be able to do this on my old ST220 - but need to read the manual to see if there is away one can do it oneself on Audi's. If not it will be a call to the dealer (as her A1 is about the same "out" as yours weedram)

I find the Nav system is accurate when it says to "turn left/right now", but when I'm approaching a destination address it often tells me I have 200-250 metres remaining when I'm already on top of it. I often miss unfamiliar destinations and have to turn around. Anybody else notice this?

I guess it does also depend on what system you've used for the destination entry. If you've entered a postcode then that covers a possibly wide area. I live in rural Devon and my postcode district covers quite an area so it is never going to bring someone to my house. If you have the Connect system then picture destination will be accurate because it is using Latitude and Longitude coordinates.

Sounds like it just needs calibration. I didn't get the Sat Nav as I have 3 apps on my phone, however in my previous car there was a calibration mode where I had to drive 10 miles and it triangulated the position. Is there any option in the Navigation menu like this?

GPS at the user end won't need calibration; it relies on the received satellite ephemeris data being accurate.

Assuming you enter your destination by postcode, it's more likely to be an issue with the accuracy of the postcode database or it not using all 7 digits.

Good point above re long/lat.

It has been doing better lately with urban destination addresses. Come to think of it the inaccurate examples were in a more rural area. They did have a full street address, not just post code, but fairly long distances between houses. That was probably the issue.