Nardo Touch up Paint

Nickyc

Hello, can these be purchased ? Also are there different shades of Nardo as I heard the shade changed at some point. I have a PFL but may not be any point in me purchasing if the touch ups are for the newer shade and my paint may be different?

Also do any of the new black Audi front rings from any model fit the PFL ? I also heard that the new RS3 ones will not fit the PFL, but wondered if any of the other ones from other models would, or are they all the same ?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

AudiNutta

Staff member
Gold Supporter
@Callump01 recently had a touch up bought for his and the painter had to throw it, the match was horrific... way too dark.

Your best bet would be going to your nearest paint supplier and have a batch of solvent based paint made up.. will probably cost a tenner for 250ml something like that, enough for about 500 nardo car touch ups ;)

Callump01

Trust me... steer clear of any premixed touch-up pens for Nardo. My entire bonnet was repainted because the match was so dreadful (and the first one we used was official Audi with the same paint code)

Like @AudiNutta said, pop into a reputable paint supplier and get one mixed up specifically for your paint.

Nickyc

Thank you, now don't shoot me down ( I haven't a clue about the process), but how do they get the right paint done ? Is it from your paint code, or do they actually have to get a sample from the car or something ?

Callump01

Thank you, now don't shoot me down ( I haven't a clue about the process), but how do they get the right paint done ? Is it from your paint code, or do they actually have to get a sample from the car or something ?

I was completely clueless about the whole thing aswell; I just assumed they needed my paint code (LY7C) and it'd be a good enough match. It'll obviously never be 100% exact due to difference in the application from factory vs. a paint shop. I was very wrong and the new paint from the touch up was far far darker despite being the same code and directly from Audi. I'd recommend staying away from the pre-mixed touch up pens.

I know there are some places you can go which have a device they throw on that scans in the colour of your paint and can mix a batch up from that, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Just make sure you go to someone very reputable (preferably with experience on flat colours like Nardo Grey) and not necessarily the cheapest.

Nickyc

How do they match it though ? Do they have cards with different shades then match whichever one to your car or is it some other sort of witchcraft ?

AudiNutta

Staff member
Gold Supporter
How do they match it though ? Do they have cards with different shades then match whichever one to your car or is it some other sort of witchcraft ?

Use your colour code and the paint supplier will be able to see how to mix it according to factory and make it up by hand.

Also should be able to get some from any local body shop if you go and ask

Mitch H

Just used a chipex kit on my Daytona S3 with great results
Dunno if they do nardo
It's a weird colour nardo and I imagine shows any defects up badly wether touched up or not

nervus

My local Chips Away garage are fantastic. They use a UV/IR Spectrophotometer and gives you a match rating probability. But they can be wrong and the skill is in the painters eye and judgement.