Named driver claim

Migwire

Reaction score
Few weeks ago a deer ran out in front of the wife in her Fiesta Vignale and smashed the front end of her car in. She claimed on the insurance and it was in repair for 3 weeks and got it back on Saturday.

She's off work this week, so I decided to give the car a run out yesterday and take it to work. On a 3 lane roundabout, a woman in the outside lane decided she wanted to go all the way around as I was exiting and she crashed into the side of the wife's car.

If I claim through the insurance, on future quotes, who declares that accident? The wife, as it's her policy? Me, as the driver? Or both? I have my own policy on my Audi but I'm a named driver on the wife's. Just curious as to who declares it going forward.

The way I see it is unfortunately both. Your wife's policy will have a claim showing on it so will have to declare that going forward and you've been involved in an accident which statistically in the insurance companies eyes makes you more likely to be involved in another claim.
Obviously that's up to you and it might only come to light if you do have a claim, but would you want the worry?
I was involved in a very similar incident a few weeks ago in the works van but my mate was driving.
A woman did the same to us and decided she wanted to continue around the roundabout rather than go down the motorway slip road. She hit our front wing and had to go down the slip road whilst we were pushed back onto the roundabout, we never saw her again and the dashcam never got a clear view of her numberplate!

The way I see it is unfortunately both. Your wife's policy will have a claim showing on it so will have to declare that going forward and you've been involved in an accident which statistically in the insurance companies eyes makes you more likely to be involved in another claim.
Obviously that's up to you and it might only come to light if you do have a claim, but would you want the worry?
I was involved in a very similar incident a few weeks ago in the works van but my mate was driving.
A woman did the same to us and decided she wanted to continue around the roundabout rather than go down the motorway slip road. She hit our front wing and had to go down the slip road whilst we were pushed back onto the roundabout, we never saw her again and the dashcam never got a clear view of her numberplate!

I ask to keep ourselves right. Don't want them having a chance to wiggle out of a claim.

Funny you mention them disappearing. She pushed me down the exit I wanted and she went on around the roundabout. My gut instinct was they're going to disappear so I quickly parked on the verge and ran back up the road to make sure I got their number plate. Thankfully, she stopped though and couldn't stop apologising. She even said sorry on text later