Name that part

MSTRKRFTSMN

Reaction score
as above, please could someone tell me what this connector is, where it should go, and why my car works fine without it.

It is right at the bottom of the front of the engine bay towards the driver side front wheel and seemed to have been deliberately wrapped around another hose to keep it away from the fans.

Cheers

scanned for error codes yet? that will surely tell you what's not connected

what's over on that side...
- air con compressor?
- knock sensors?
- coolant overrun pump?
- power steering sensor?
- egt sensor?
- horns?

trace the whole thing back. where does it go to?

No error codes. Pretty sure it must have been like this since I bought the car. Here's a pic of where it leads; up by the oil filter, but I can't see it stood over the bay

no, it's a ribbed electrical connector. The one in your link is a smooth, shorter hide with a different connector, and can also be seen in my 2nd pic

Cheers for the guesses folks. Fog lights work but I have had a bulb warning lighton my dash for months. However all my bulbs seem to work fine......

Anyone know for definite?

have you undone the plastic cover by the inlet manifold?.... do that and see if there's a plug missing it's mate

A3 or S3? A3 could be Secondary air pump, has it been deleted and mapped out.

Reactions: MSTRKRFTSMN
2002 S3 BAM

I think it has had something deleted. There's an open hose with a metal inner in the bottom front driver side corner of the engine bay. I'll have a search on the secondary air pump idea. Thanks.

Nope... Not the secondary air pump. BAM engines don't have them apparently

take a picture of the radiator area in front of the U-bend piping from the inlet manifold

2002 S3 BAM

I think it has had something deleted. There's an open hose with a metal inner in the bottom front driver side corner of the engine bay. I'll have a search on the secondary air pump idea. Thanks.

Coolant overrun pump? When you turn the car on (not engine start) can you hear something whirring near the driver's side headlight

Thanks for the interest guys. I'll get under the bonnet and take some more photos tomorrow. I've done the n249 delete.

I am looking at my car tomorrow and will see what is around that area too.

The phrase that pays today is......power steering pressure sensor.

A bit of confusion entailed when I got the sensor from Audi as it had a different shaped plug (square) on it.

View attachment 92300
Audi were convinced that was the right one so after me fretting over what else had been botched on my S3 by previous owners I removed my sensor and gave them the part number on it. It turns out there are two different sensors...

Square shape plug sensor - W6N0 919 081A
Half moon shape plug sensor - W1J0 919 081

Whatever prize is on offer I'll split it with you Alex.

Reactions: Alex C
Does looks like the plug for the power steering pressure sensor that's on my S3, there should be a sensor fitted at the top of the power steering pump...
DSC 0206

I have seen on google that some people have disconnected it and put a blank instead of the sensor due to it leaking.

Power steering sensor is used by the ECU to help control load at lower RPM (typically while maneuvering)... prevents the engine labouring/stalling out essentially

<tuffty/>

Thanks for this guys. It is the power steering pressure sensor. Looks like it's been blanked off by a previous ownership just wrapped the sensor round other hoses. Major issue?

Thanks for this guys. It is the power steering pressure sensor. Looks like it's been blanked off by a previous ownership just wrapped the sensor round other hoses. Major issue?

As <tuffty/> said...
Power steering sensor is used by the ECU to help control load at lower RPM (typically while maneuvering)... prevents the engine labouring/stalling out essentially

Half moon shape plug sensor - W1J0 919 081 is the one you need, from Audi it cost me just under £30.