Name of this part???? with Pic

S3-Chris

If its not broke....break it!!
Reaction score
Hi All
Could anyone tell me what this part is called i have circled, This isnt my car but i dont have a picture of mine.
There is a pipe that comes off the rocker cover into this bit i've circled which looks like some sort of little round tub! Im after the pipe that goes from this bit to to turbo air intake pipe as mine has collapsed!

3a2b44e9-6cbe-4336-9862-2aa5d3bd335.jpg

cant see the pic, but im guessing its the PCV. check that that still works

none return valve from the head casing...... may also be known as the PCV although i only know it helps transport gases from the head back into the air intake (and stops gases flowing the opposite way)

if its blocked etc that may explain why the hose aftewards collapsed

so the wee black round thing is called a PCV - what does that stand for?
are they expensive?

It is called a pressure regulating valve.
Part no is 06A 129 101A if you have ESP and 034 129 101A if you don't.
This part normally plugs directly into the factory oem intake pipe so if you have a length of hose off the bottom I can only imagine you have a silicone TIP fitted? You could get a length of vac hose (25mm diameter iirc).
I got a 19mm straight hose connector (as the hole in my TIP was 19mm) and a silicone 19 to 25mm reducer to fit the PRV at the top of that. Not fitted it into the car as yet though... really must get cracking!

javascript:;

Also, worth a check is to remove it, clean it up and blow through it by blowing into the port on the side of the valve. If you blow gently it should blow through however if you blow really hard/fast it should cut off.

i just phoned audi.... the pipe that connects to the bottom of this is £32 + vat & the pressure regulating valve is £13 + vat - just gonna replace both! pick bits up tomorrow.

Thanks for the help folks!

why not replace it and incorporate an oil catch tank.....job done

whats the PCV cost anyways?

why not replace it and incorporate an oil catch tank.....job done

whats the PCV cost anyways?

Where do you put the oil catch can? Whats the benefits of this? to stop the crap going into the turbo??? Any pics??
cost of PCV was £13 + vat

na DaniS3 has fitted one, i havent got around to it yet, benefits are exactly that, to stop oil feeding through into the TIP...although i think you'd have to fit this between the PCV and the head as you would want to prevent oil going into the PCV....Dani mounted this on the battery cover IIRC

just one of a million jobs on the to do list mate...curious to know how much oil Dani's caught since fitment...... Dani....it's over to you (in best Lloyd Grosman accent)

"And who would live in a house like this?"

Me, so f**k off you annoying tit. Not a lloyd Grosman fan.... lol

catch tank is well worth while, esp for you guys as you have stepper motor throttle bodies. the breather allow oil mist and other crud into the inlet system which eventually ends up on the throttle body or in/around the rings loosing compression for you.

when i did the last oil change on the golf, the catch tank was full of water, condensation caught in there that was prevented from getting into the inlet

How much is a catch can? And where can i get one?
some pics would be great!!!

Dani got his from the bay....£30 IIRC, ya pays ya money ya chooses ya size me hearty

500ml minimum (unless you have no space at all)

I don't think the pipe is directly linked to the pcv, if it's what i'm thinking of it's the pipe that comes off the bottom of the breather to the tip, mine has also collapsed but this pipe doesn't create vacuum so it doesn't collapse under boost.

Picture below is what i'm thinking of, could be wrong so apoligies if i am, i've noticed this pipe on a few S3's and LCR going soft and out of shape
PB120981-1.jpg

the breather pipe comes out of the rocker cover, into the PCV which feeds into the TIP.....before the PCV however the pipe stems off in two directions, one goes to the bottom of the engine (return feed) the other i cant remember..... obviously the idea is the oil feeds off down one of these avenues before spiralling up to the PCV..... my thoughts are that the catch tank is best fitted just before the PCV so that the oil caught is minimal due to most of it feeding back down one of these existing pipes.....other option is to rip the lot out and keep emptying the catch tank.... anyone any thoughts as to the best option?

fitting, mines got some right sh*te in it, makes you wonder why youll have never fitted one before now, helps keep the MAF, boost pipes, Tb all nice and clean.