Naff MAF?

Meza

Reaction score
I'm doing some digging in the VAGCOM forum for help with two codes I've pulled up (16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
and
17536/P1128/004392 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean

I've seen people going on about MAF readings to see if they're up the creek. I did some logging on VAGCOM, dunno if I got it right or not. Went out for a blast and gave it some, the highest maf reading I got was 113g/s at 5130 RPM.
This is an S3 with AMK engine. What figures should I be getting for MAF, and where is the damn thing? Think I should try unplugging it and see how the car behaves.
Any ideas?

Meza said:
I'm doing some digging in the VAGCOM forum for help with two codes I've pulled up (16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
and
17536/P1128/004392 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean

I've seen people going on about MAF readings to see if they're up the creek. I did some logging on VAGCOM, dunno if I got it right or not. Went out for a blast and gave it some, the highest maf reading I got was 113g/s at 5130 RPM.
This is an S3 with AMK engine. What figures should I be getting for MAF, and where is the damn thing? Think I should try unplugging it and see how the car behaves.
Any ideas?

that maf reading is low, and the maf is connected to your airbox on the rear right of your engine bay.

does the car idle strangely or show a check engine light?

have you had any services related to the timing belt recently?

howdy
Timing belt was done in Feb before I had the car. (Got it end of Aug)

Everything else about the car is fine, idles fine, pulls well etc. Although in terms of the power output I have no idea because I've never driven another S3 to compare it. I must say I thought it would be quicker than it is.

The emissions light came on shortly after I got the car which is why I got a VAGCOM to have a check. Details on my error codes in this thread in the VAGCOM forum... http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=44854

I unplugged my MAF, and wow... this car is now rapid! The boost from 4k - 5k is great. I was convinced an S3 should perform better than mine was.
Looks like I'm straight off to the MAF shop.

Got a new MAF from Audi for £64+vat exchange.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! This car has been transformed. Can't stay for long, gotta go out for another spin...

Glad its all sorted.....what wonderful establishment did you purchase that from??????? :think:

digging into the archives I find this topic.. (September 21st, 2007!!)

Can anyone locate the MAF for me on a picture??

'MASS AIR FLOW'? Are you okay to run the car with this dissconected for a while?!

digging into the archives I find this topic.. (September 21st, 2007!!)

Can anyone locate the MAF for me on a picture??

'MASS AIR FLOW'? Are you okay to run the car with this dissconected for a while?!

Sorry haven't got a picture but if you look at you air filter box it is plugged into the big pipe coming off it, in the middle at the back you cant miss it, and yes you can run your car with it unplugged you may get the esp light come on when you do, but it will be ok once you have plugged it back in.

Thanks S£.

I'm sure to test this then on my trip to the gym from work!!

Woo yeah, fingers crossed.

So the second I leave work the bonnet is up and I'm dissconecting the MAF.

First thoughts were 'yes, this is nicer!' Seemed sharper, more crisp and 'willing'. However, the car was cold, and I only had a 5 minute drive to the gym.

Hour or so later, I finish, a slow ride through town (going home, but the long way!) and I managed to open her up on the back/B-roads. It certainly felt quicker, no doubt about that... the punch was there through from the REVO but now I start to wonder if it's just sub-concious that it 'feels quicker' because you're kind of hoping that it is.

I don't know.. certainly worth replacing though in my eyes. I will be on the phone to my local Audi dealer soon to price up a replacement and take it from there.

QUESTION..

After plugging the MAF back in (the engine was red hot at this point!!!), the ESP. light stayed on. I Dissconected and reconnected it, still on. So I turned off and back on again, sorted. However, with the ESP. on, it throws me about in mid-range now.. without planting my foot down, you can feel 'judders' when the ESP kicks in - at really strange times.

The obvious answer was to turn it off. Am I facing an issue here now? Has anyone else experienced this after dissconecting their MAF?

Also, am I right in thinking sometimes the MAF can be knackered, and also undetectable on VAGCOM? If anyone is local to Newark, (Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire) and wouldn't mind me taking a ride out to meet you sometime it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time. Jim

Hi there if you take the lead of what should happen ?

is there only suppose to be 4 slots it uses not all 5 on the connector ??

AIRMAF002.jpg

AIRMAF001.jpg