Mystery Problem That Has Everyone Baffled

IQ

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is my first post and unfortunately it’s to do with a problem!

I own a 08 remapped and DPF removed A3 2.0TDI PD170.

About 3 weeks ago when driving home it cut out without warning all the lights came up on the dash and (!)BRAKES came up on the DIS display. I left it a few minutes and it started again, only to cut out again 10 yards down the road.

Next day I had it up Audi, they did a full fault code scan and it came up with no codes. So it took it back to the remap place and they couldn't find any issues either.

It’s been fine for the past few weeks but now it’s starting to do it only when the cars been sitting on my drive for the night or when I come to restart it soon after I have turned it off. It would start again if I left it a while.

Last night it did the same while at a dealership, I left it for a few hours and it wouldn't turn over. So I called out a breakdown van, he did a scan and found nothing, checked the battery and it was fine, disconnected it and still nothing. The brake fluid is full, the brake pads are fine. He tried the trick with unlocking the car with the key and not the fob and it still came up with the same message. He has never come across this either. So I had to get it taken home on a low loader where it’s sitting now.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Or does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I've tried the spare key and that didn't work either, I've ran out of possibilities now.

Any help would be more than appreciated!

Cheers guys

Damaged ECU or wiring loom?

Water ingress in the scuttle under the windscreen leaking into fuse boxes.

Poor earthing?

Hi, yes the battery has been checked it's fine.

I'll have to check for any water ingress, it could be the ECU, wiring loom, or earthing. How would I check if these are the culprits? Thanks Warren

No i haven't replaced the battery, I have used the spare key though and the same thing happened.

The injectors and loom were changed not that long ago at Audi because of the recall.

Okay. I'm not a betting man but, if I were, I reckon your current issues are related to this. Again I'm not an expert but, I have read that sometimes the injectors are not adjusted properly. Are Shark Performance on this forum as I think they had some experience of injectors being way outside the specifications.

Okay. I'm not a betting man but, if I were, I reckon your current issues are related to this. Again I'm not an expert but, I have read that sometimes the injectors are not adjusted properly. Are Shark Performance on this forum as I think they had some experience of injectors being way outside the specifications.

This did cross my mind to be honest, because I had the remap before the injectors were changed so I was thinking they might be running slightly wrong. Or could not be adjusted properly from Audi.

This did cross my mind to be honest, because I had the remap before the injectors were changed so I was thinking they might be running slightly wrong. Or could not be adjusted properly from Audi.

Audi probably won't know your car has been remapped or had the DPF removed. So my first port of call would be back to the place who did your remap and advise them you've had a new loom and injectors and highlight the issues you've been having. Again I'm no expert but, I'm guessing you may need to pay them for another remap and/or adjusting the injectors. Doubt Audi will be able to do anything as they are putting the car back to spec how it left the factory - unaware of your mods.

When I had the injectors replaced under recall on my TDI the clearances were set up completely wrong.

Took it to Rick @ Unicorn and got them set up correctly. Caused some very lumpy and uneven idle.

Audi probably won't know your car has been remapped or had the DPF removed. So my first port of call would be back to the place who did your remap and advise them you've had a new loom and injectors and highlight the issues you've been having. Again I'm no expert but, I'm guessing you may need to pay them for another remap and/or adjusting the injectors. Doubt Audi will be able to do anything as they are putting the car back to spec how it left the factory - unaware of your mods.

Thanks for your advice mate, I'll have a chat with the guy that mapped it and see what he says regarding this. It would be nice if it is as simple as the injectors just need adjusting.

When I had the injectors replaced under recall on my TDI the clearances were set up completely wrong.

Took it to Rick @ Unicorn and got them set up correctly. Caused some very lumpy and uneven idle.

Yea my car does seem quite lumpy on idle, thanks for the help.

Reactions: stetheo
Just thinking, recently I've been smelling what I thought was an exhaust smell from the inside of the car while I was driving. I wonder if it's connected?

You need to establish if when the car cuts out, you have communication to the ECU at that point. If the ECU loses communication, then you will get warning lights such as the brakes because these modules can no longer speak to the engine ECU. As soon as it cuts out, try and fault code read or even just establish communication with the ECU. No point in looking at anything else if the ECU is dead.

Rick

Hi Rick, the only problem now is when ever I turn the ignition on the warning lights come straight on. It wont start again for it to cut out. Its literally dead on my drive. I'm just going to have to get it towed somewhere

Just wanted to say a massive thanks to Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments for fixing my car. I transported it up to him and he spent the week getting to the bottom of the issue. Turns out it was a wire relay fault and a few dodgy wires, but now its driving perfectly again. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Rick to anyone, he really knows his stuff and I will definitely be using him again in the future. Cheers Rick.

Reactions: phil76 and warren_S5
Brilliant. Nice one Rick for sorting it out. Can you begin to imagine the hassle if you'd have took that to main dealer! Big thumbs up for the VAG independents

I know Warren, I'd be crying into my bank statement if Audi were to tackle that job. Long live VAG Independents!