Mystery limp mode - A4 2.5 TDI

IndiaRed

Reaction score
My problem is that the engine seems to be going into limp mode. It will not go above 2,000 rpm (well not by much) No CEL. No fault codes on the engine. Audi A4 (b5) 2.5 TDI (engine code AFB)

Engine was completely rebuilt. New cams, new oversized pistons/rings, all new bushings, new exhaust valves, etc. Modifications from earlier were PP683 nozzles and custom tune for the uprated nozzles. Engine ran fine before rebuild until cam lifters started falling off...

VP44 pump rebuilt 30k miles ago.
Turbo rebuilt by PureTurbo in CA

I have done the following:

Tested turbo actuator. With MightyVac connected lever starts moving at 3 hg and reaches stop at 18 hg.
Turbo spins freely when twisted with fingers.

N75. Per the log it shows it working. At idle when I pull the hose off of the turbo there is full vacuum.

EGR valve is new. Opens around 15 hg (the one ones at around 10 hg).

Replaced engine speed sensor. Ohms tested at around 880 between two pins.

Needle lift sensor tested at 20 ohms.

Injectors cleaned and tested.

Intakes are all clean of soot. I flushed the exhaust catalytic converters with water and degreaser. I ran the shop vac blowing air through for quite a while to try. Air flowed nicely through.

Intake hoses and intercoolers are not leaking. Tested the section from turbo to just before the intake manifold. I was not able to pressurize from the turbo intake to the engine. It seems to just runs right through the engine. I am thinking that there must be some overlap to the intake and exhaust valves to let air through. If not, they where is the air going?

Static timing set for TDC between all the components.

Dynamic timing shows the cluster to be right in the middle of the graph, where it should be.

Are there any other tests or logs I could run with VAGCOM to help diagnose?

On the turbo is it possible that the vanes were incorrectly installed? or the vanes closed gap not set correctly?

Has the VP44 gone bad from sitting around for 6 months while engine was being rebuilt?

Some graphs of logs attached.
Thank you in advance for any advice.
MAF
SpecStart
IntakePressures

Update. I went back a checked everything again. Did a vacuum test on the EGR. It turns out this was not holding vacuum. So I suspect that when the EGR tried to open then it effectively caused a vacuum leak in the system which affected the turbo actuator. I put the old one back in and things are almost perfect. However, the actual intake pressure is always about 60-80 mbar less than the spec intake pressure. I would think the N75 would just keep opening until they match (or as close as they can). The N75 duty cycle is not maxxing out in these instances.