Facelift Mystery Cables

Falmouthboy

Reaction score
Ok these cables were in the new car, clearly one end is a USB on one and a Apple connector on the other, but where does the other end go?

I've got SD card slots in the glove box and USB ports in the arm rest, but nothing I can find to plug these in to. The handbook is no help either.
0c53da9b10af3173020b34bf4f1596bd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These are MMI cables. Apparently no longer required in the FL. You have a USB in the armrest instead of the MMI socket.
Assume you need to get a USB to Lightning cable for an Apple device, or USB to micro-USB for an Android phone.
Or whatever for other devices?

Reactions: pburv and Falmouthboy
Thanks - I've cracked that using a spare apple cable, just strange that I get a bag of cables that don't work - may try to blag a set of proper Audi cables from the stealer!

Last edited:
It's ironic as well. Lots of folk on here complain that they don't get the MMI cables on collection. Now you don't need them they are given to you !!

Reactions: richinsoton and Falmouthboy
Also got a DVD in the handbook folder that won't run.

These are MMI cables. Apparently no longer required in the FL. You have a USB in the armrest instead of the MMI socket.
Assume you need to get a USB to Lightning cable for an Apple device, or USB to micro-USB for an Android phone.
Or whatever for other devices?
Is this right that this type of cable is no longer in the Facelift A3?
images

Is this right that this type of cable is no longer in the Facelift A3?
images
Correct.

The old MMI interface is deader than flares. USB cables are all that's needed.

Reactions: pburv
That's right. There's now 2 standard USB ports in the arm rest. Even if you're not given any cables by the dealer your phone charger cable will work.
Makes it a bit easier I suppose.
I originally ordered a pfl in Feb and the sales guy gave me the iPhone mmi cable. No good now as I've got a fl. Anyone wants it let me know. Free to a good home!!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Correct.

The old MMI interface is deader than flares. USB cables are all that's needed.
Thanks for rubbing it in GSB......I'm going to have to get a facelift S3 now...lol

Reactions: GSB
Thanks for rubbing it in GSB......I'm going to have to get a facelift S3 now...lol
On the list of good reasons to upgrade your car, that one sits somewhere between "the ashtray was full" and "one of the number plate lights doesn't work"...

That's right. There's now 2 standard USB ports in the arm rest. Even if you're not given any cables by the dealer your phone charger cable will work.
Makes it a bit easier I suppose.
I originally ordered a pfl in Feb and the sales guy gave me the iPhone mmi cable. No good now as I've got a fl. Anyone wants it let me know. Free to a good home!!

Hi buddy, could i please take the mmi cable? Thanks

@GSB I love bootcut/flares. B1oody can't stick skinny jeans.
That's a bug bare of mine in the PFL, no USB. I've got one that plugs into the cigarette lighter but wish it was just a simple USB port in the arm rest.

Hi buddy, could i please take the mmi cable? Thanks
No worries fella. PM me your details and I'll stick it in post to you on Monday

@GSB I love bootcut/flares. B1oody can't stick skinny jeans.
That's a bug bare of mine in the PFL, no USB. I've got one that plugs into the cigarette lighter but wish it was just a simple USB port in the arm rest.
Don't you have one in the centre console next to the MMI socket? My MY16 S3 (tech pack) has one. Charging only though - no data.

You should get a cable free with the car! I'd ring up the dealer and say they've given you the wrong cables, I'd be very surprised if they don't send out the right lead ASAP

You should get a cable free with the car! I'd ring up the dealer and say they've given you the wrong cables, I'd be very surprised if they don't send out the right lead ASAP

not in this part of the world, try $AUD80 a pop instead - you know transport costs !

It's ironic as well. Lots of folk on here complain that they don't get the MMI cables on collection. Now you don't need them they are given to you !!
Because they now have a shed load that nobody wants to buy, before they could charge you a pretty price for them! So they give them to anyone who is passing :D

When I had a Vecra estate it came with a cargo net, which was ideal to keep the dogs off the back seat. When I changed it for exactly the same car it didn't have a cargo net! I asked why and they said "They are popular now, so they are doing them as an optional extra". Needless to say I walked back to my old car and took it out and put it in the new one ;)

Reactions: richinsoton
Just an update on this - it appears the cables are put in the glove box by the parts guys at PDI - nobody had told them that the MMI cables we no longer required for the facelift A/S3. They swapped them for the right Audi Apple cable. Whilst any Apple cable (OEM or aftermarket) will work, the Audi cable is better. The plug is at 90 degrees so iPhone 6 Plus should fit and the cable is curled so it doesn't tangle or get in the way.